Aircraft for sale...

Maybe it's just me, but I have decided it probably wouldn't be a good idea to buy someone's homebuilt. My decision probably borne of ignorance but since anyone with a toolbox and some money can build I shy away from the homebuilt aftermarket.

Richard said:
Maybe it's just me, but I have decided it probably wouldn't be a good idea to buy someone's homebuilt. My decision probably borne of ignorance but since anyone with a toolbox and some money can build I shy away from the homebuilt aftermarket.

It really depends on the builder. I know a couple guys out there, I would buy anything they build sight unseen, they build better than the factory planes I see. I actually did buy my Midget Mustang that way. Looking at the pictures of that plane though, I don't think I'd buy it.

Henning said:
It really depends on the builder. I know a couple guys out there, I would buy anything they build sight unseen, they build better than the factory planes I see. I actually did buy my Midget Mustang that way. Looking at the pictures of that plane though, I don't think I'd buy it.

There is a A&P in AWO that has a waiting list for his aircraft, he is making over $100k per year manufacturing LongEZ (s)

I agree, it's all a matter of who built it. Once the plane is together, expecially the new composite ones, it's not possible to inspect all the construction. You have to rely on who did the inspections during assembly and the builder. When you get into non-factory aircraft, you also move into a different realm of insurers, coverages, etc. One can look at the level of workmanship as an indicator if they really understand what goes into one. There are some folks here at Addison I would sure purchase a plane from. And I've seen some where I just shake my head and wonder how the inspections ever got signed off, but that's not a lot different than factory planes with owners doing their own work.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Dave Siciliano said:
I agree, it's all a matter of who built it. Once the plane is together, expecially the new composite ones, it's not possible to inspect all the construction. You have to rely on who did the inspections during assembly and the builder. When you get into non-factory aircraft, you also move into a different realm of insurers, coverages, etc. One can look at the level of workmanship as an indicator if they really understand what goes into one. There are some folks here at Addison I would sure purchase a plane from. And I've seen some where I just shake my head and wonder how the inspections ever got signed off, but that's not a lot different than factory planes with owners doing their own work.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

There is no requirement for any inspections on home builts, except the "final compliance" by the issuer of the airworthiness certificate.

Back