Aircraft equipmemt code question

charris911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
charris911
Airplane has VOR/DME, mode C transponder, what is difference between the /A and /I equipment code?

Seems they would both fit...thanks.

/I is for aircraft with an RNAV computer that processes VOR/DME information (i.e., programmable radial/distance waypoints).

See Chapter 9 of the Instrument Flying Handbook (Pages 9-22 through 9-24).

I wouldn't imagine there are many GA aircraft that have it.

Last edited:
/I is for aircraft with an RNAV computer that processes VOR/DME information (i.e., programmable radial/distance waypoints).

Ahhh...perfect, what I needed to know....thank you!

Always answer /I unless it's not offered as an answer. Then select /A.

(those who recently took the IRA will get the humor)

Wouldn't the KNS-80 qualify? Not many left in the field, the displays are failing with age. But I run across one every once in a while.

Wouldn't the KNS-80 qualify? Not many left in the field, the displays are failing with age. But I run across one every once in a while.
Yes, a properly working KNS-80 would qualify for /I, /C, or /Y (depending on your transponder).

Ah, the old rho-theta RNAV. Perfect for those 8 remaining VOR/DME RNAV approaches in the US. I guess the FAA's VOR decommissioning plan is still rolling along.

Our club has a plane that can file /I ! Our logs show our KNS-80 was flight tested and approved for IFR.

I've filed this way a couple of times when our GPS database was expired.

Back