Aircraft Engine Book Topics

I'd buy the book if it had a really good, easy to understand chapter on leaning. I am sure that when I hear people talking about LOP or ROP, some of them are talking about Peak EGT and some of them are talking about Peak RPM and some are talking about Leanest cylinder and some of them are talking about getting peak (or rather lowest) fuel flow, as in leaning until the fuel totalizer reads the lowest GPH). When I ask or read about leaning I always get very short answers that give no details. What does "lean 5degrees per second" mean? Is that temperature degrees or compass degrees on then knob.

I would also like a discussion on using an engine analyzer in a small carburetted engine. My JPI EDM 700 is usually showing CHT on three of my O360 cylinders to be between 390 and 400 if I run the least bit lean, and over 450 on climb. My A&P says get rid of the JPI and just watch oil temp, which is usually fine (lt 200).

Last edited:
I'd start with the engine book as a guide to what needs to be explained to pilots in pilot terms.

This is my goal. The idea is for technical explanations that are easy for pilots to understand. The Sky Ranch books are very good, but more technical.

What is snakeoil? Why is it bad?

Why do engines turn to oxidized metal if only a little tricresyl phosphate is in the oil?

Well... in light of a recent thread, maybe a discussion of engine oil and lubrication basics? The differences in different brands and grades and the use of the infamous, but hard to define "snake oil".

Gary

I may have to put my disclaimer at the beginning. ;)

:D Fair enough! It is your book, disclaimers welcome! Let me know if you need some help on the chemistry part.

Gary
Yep...gotta remember if one of the starting materials was an acid, the compound will still be corrosive ;)

Well, I'm 28-pages of single-spaced, 8.5x11 with 1" margins, 12-pt font information in, with a lot more topics not yet covered, and no illustrations. I'm thinking at this point I'll end up with 75-100 pages when all current topics are covered and appropriate illustrations are sourced.

Any other topics that I should add? I should probably start fishing around for publishers, or else figure out how to publish it myself.

Any other topics that I should add? I should probably start fishing around for publishers, or else figure out how to publish it myself.

Might want to talk with Ken on the publishing headaches and challenges. IIRC, he covered some in his thread about Defying Gravity

The Sky Ranch books are very good, but more technical.

Their page on mag impulse couplings is absolutely wrong. They contend that the lag angle changes with RPM. When it actually is a set angle by the location of the stop pin in the mag housing.

RPM's only effect is whether the centrifugal force created by the RPM is enough to over come the flyweight spring and allow the stop pin to be engaged or not, that will happen at a specific RPM every time.

That pin can be seen imbedded in the mag housing in this picture, and the impulse stop can be seen approaching the pin as the mag rotates CCW.

Attachments

• DSCN2310.jpg
    DSCN2310.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Several people have made the comment to me that I should write a book on aircraft engines, focusing especially on engine operation.

I've wanted to write a book for some time, and find the idea to be an attractive one. I have a basic outline to start out, but a book is not written for the author, it's written for the readers.

So my question to you all: What subjects would you like to see covered? Both specifics and general.

Anything that doesn't duplicate John Deakin.

If you were to write a book to sort out all these three letter acronyms(TLA) that alone would be helpful.:D

Back