Aircraft down into Big Bear Lake

craigvince

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Craig
An airplane just went into Big Bear Lake. Initial reports are all 4 occupants are out of the plane and OK.

Totalled? :lol:

Actually, no. I know of a 172 on floats that flipped once, (wheels down, repaired) then hit a stump on the same lake and sunk, revived and repaired and flying again. I think the owner took the floats off the second time. :lol:

Glad everyone made it out okay!

Last edited:
Glad they got out....at least it wasn't another Big Bear High DA accident.

Wonder who told him he was 'cleared to land'? Big Bear has no tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As warm as it's been lately, that sounds sort of refreshing... other than the uncommanded upholstery modification prior to landing of course.

That pic has a loch-ness quality to it. I can't tell what flavor of beechcraft it is... is the sole gear leg that's poking out one of the Sport/Mouse/Sundowner/Sierra trailing-link style? Sorta looks it.

That pic has a loch-ness quality to it. I can't tell what flavor of beechcraft it is... is the sole gear leg that's poking out one of the Sport/Mouse/Sundowner/Sierra trailing-link style? Sorta looks it.

It must be the stretched version since according the NBC " A handful of passengers exited the airplane"

Cheers

I love how the news reports are calling this a "hard landing".
I'm pretty sure when you end up in a lake upside down, that's called a "crash".

On the other hand, I'm very glad it was in shallow water and the occupants got out alive.

Wonder if the airplane will "resurface" like the Mooney Submarine that recently crashed near MGY.

Cheers

...so do you need flood insurance for that? Glad everyone made it out in the clear!

Looks like the commenters on the NBC comment thread had a few things to say:

"I saw this plane crash happen. I was skiing at snow summit, and I was overlooking the lake. I saw it stall and bank sharply. It then hit the water, somersaulted, then landed in the lake. It was not just a "hard landing"."

A bit nuts to be enjoying your day on the slopes and seeing a plane crash.

I wanted to go into Big Bear when getting my PPL down in CRQ (over a decade ago) but never made it up there. I heard its a little tricky, but definitely doable. I'll have to give it a go if I ever end up on the west coast again.

Big bear is a great place to go. The DA can get really high, so be sure to know you and your aircrafts performance abilities. Don't take a 160 horse c172 up there with yourself and 3 passengers and full tanks. You too will end up in the drink on a hot day. I've been up there many times, in a pa28-180 and in a 160 horse 172. But you have to keep the density altitude in mind. On ht hight da days, expect a long take off roll at higher ground speeds before you rotate. Landing the same, higher ground speed so it looks like a fast approach if you are used to flying at sea level all the time. Pay attention to your Air Speed and know you plane. It's a nice town and airport to visit.

Glad the folks were ok today...

Big bear is a great place to go. The DA can get really high, so be sure to know you and your aircrafts performance abilities. Don't take a 160 horse c172 up there with yourself and 3 passengers and full tanks. You too will end up in the drink on a hot day. I've been up there many times, in a pa28-180 and in a 160 horse 172. But you have to keep the density altitude in mind. On ht hight da days, expect a long take off roll at higher ground speeds before you rotate. Landing the same, higher ground speed so it looks like a fast approach if you are used to flying at sea level all the time. Pay attention to your Air Speed and know you plane. It's a nice town and airport to visit.

Glad the folks were ok today...

X2....great little airport

Back