Aircraft Ditching Course

I read an article in the NY Times (CLICK HERE) about a survival training center in Groton, CT that offers 1-2 day courses on crash/water ditching survival. They have a couple devices that they strap you into, simulate a crash into a pool of water and then you have to get yourself out. You don't get any kind of breathing device or nose clip, and when they submerge the "aircraft," it starts flipping and water fills your nose. It sounds... terrifying! o_O

But I'm interested.

They also cover topics like dealing with hypoxia, fire in the cockpit, hypothermia, use of survival equipment, rescue techniques, life raft use/deployment, etc... you also get certified for first aid/AED/CPR. It's relevance goes beyond just that for a pilot, in my opinion.

Needless to say, a hefty price tag comes with this course. The training center offered me and my friend (also a pilot) a really sweet discount - so the price we would get for the two day course would be actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than what's quoted in that article for a one day course. Still expensive, but much more fair.

I'm curious if anyone on here has done this, or something like this? If so, please offer your thoughts and whether you think it's worth the $$$.

Had dunk and survival training when I was getting qualifyed to go offshore, it was fun being strapped in upside down and having to break out the window. Worst part is no matter what you do you get water up your nose and it burns like hell. I have to do it every 2 or 4 years to stay qualifyed.

Worst part is no matter what you do you get water up your nose and it burns like hell.

I was really anxious about the water up my nose part, but that actually didn't bother me during the course. That night, however? Ugh. The sinus pain. I ended up with a sinus infection for about a week afterwards. Maybe a coincidence, but doubtful.

I was really anxious about the water up my nose part, but that actually didn't bother me during the course. That night, however? Ugh. The sinus pain. I ended up with a sinus infection for about a week afterwards. Maybe a coincidence, but doubtful.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. My ears and nose were messed up for a day or two.

Back