Aircraft designations for LSAs?

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I called a briefer the other day prior to a flight and told him aircraft type was an LSA and that I didn't know the "official" designation. He gave me a(3 or 4, can't remember) character code and the last character was variable depending on speed(I told him under 100 knots).

I can't find this information after scouring Google and I never did write it down after the briefer told me. Any help on where to find this? Thanks.

XHA = cruise less than 100 knots
XHB = cruise 100 < 200 knots
XHC = cruise greater than 200 knots

http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/default.aspx

Use the Search function. Put in your manufacturer. For example, Flight Design gives two codes. Jabiru give several for different models.
You can also use the Special function and see that balloon is BALL, glider is GLID and there are various codes for ultralights and microlights. That may be what the briefer was talking about, but as you can see from the first example, some LSA have their own code.

ATC may ask for type, too. I usually say about the same speed as a cub, or similar speed well known aircraft. It is speed they are interested in to fit you in.

Is this for the Evektor Harmony? If so, it's more specific type designator is EV97.

Yes! HXA was what he said.

Joe, I should have just sent you a PM... Forgot about what you're flying. It is indeed a Harmony.

I've never heard EV97, although the CFI states that CVSS is what I can use for the aircraft ID in my logbook.

Use the Search function. Put in your manufacturer. For example, Flight Design gives two codes. Jabiru give several for different models.
You can also use the Special function and see that balloon is BALL, glider is GLID and there are various codes for ultralights and microlights. That may be what the briefer was talking about, but as you can see from the first example, some LSA have their own code.

Find a Zlin savage classic with that

Cub Crafters CC11 Sport Cub and Carbon Cub LSAs are "PA11". An American Legend Cub with closed cowl is also "PA11"; if it's the open-cowl version it's ... "J3"! :)

Last edited:
Those HX-identifiers are for homebuilt/experimental aircraft with no approved designator, not S-LSA's. The production LSA's have their own identifiers, such as EV9 mentioned above and FDCT for the Flight Design CT-series. Look them up as recommended above and use them, not HXx unless your LSA is homebuilt/experimental with no approved designator.

Which is what I did with my logbook.

Should I then be giving that designator to the briefer on the phone? Does the FAA recognize ICAO codes?

Should I then be giving that designator to the briefer on the phone? Does the FAA recognize ICAO codes?
Yes, and yes. But you still may have to explain it to the briefer or controller with whom you are communicating, as they probably don't have every LSA designator memorized.

Yes, and yes. But you still may have to explain it to the briefer or controller with whom you are communicating, as they probably don't have every LSA designator memorized.

Once the "briefer or controller" types the ICAO code into the FAA computer.. It better know it....

Altho, we are dealing with the feds...:mad2::mad2:........:rolleyes:

Yes! HXA was what he said.

Joe, I should have just sent you a PM... Forgot about what you're flying. It is indeed a Harmony.

I've never heard EV97, although the CFI states that CVSS is what I can use for the aircraft ID in my logbook.

Maybe just a typo in your post (C instead of E), but if not, I'm betting your CFI meant "EVSS" because that's the ID for the very similar Evektor SportStar.

In the Remos GX I used to fly, I would just tell ATC it was an LSA with speeds similar to a 152 when they would even bother to ask (they typically just put me down as an experimental :p). Usually saved the frequency clutter of having to go back and forth 5 times clarifying an aircraft type. The official identifier is GX, which is what I would put down on flight plans.

Maybe just a typo in your post (C instead of E), but if not, I'm betting your CFI meant "EVSS" because that's the ID for the very similar Evektor SportStar.

He wrote the designator in the first time and it was a C, so I'm guessing he heard it wrong from someone else, who probably didn't know the specific designator for the Harmony so they substituted the (much more common) SportStar designator.

Controllers don't always know what the codes are, especially on the obscure ones. The Navion used to be N145 (that was North American's model number of it) but when they revised all the codes it got changed to "NAVI" which is a lot easier, though I frequently have to tell the controller what it is. I also get called "NAVY" by controllers on subsequent handoff who think I'm some sort of slow military thing.

When I check in as a Sky Arrow, I'm often called a Skyhawk - or something.

I have to come back with, "I'm actually a Light Sport Sky ARROW, designator Sierra Kilo Alpha Romeo."

Just not many of the little guys around, so most controllers are not familiar.

Once the "briefer or controller" types the ICAO code into the FAA computer.. It better know it....
My point was rather that in contrast to "C172" or other common designators, if you tell a briefer you're flying a "FDCT", or you check in with a new controller who sees "FDCT" in the data block, s/he may have to ask you what the heck a "FDCT" is so s/he can give you better and more appropriate service.

When I check in as a Sky Arrow, I'm often called a Skyhawk - or something.

I have to come back with, "I'm actually a Light Sport Sky ARROW, designator Sierra Kilo Alpha Romeo."

Just not many of the little guys around, so most controllers are not familiar.

Why ARROW in all caps, is that an acronym? If so, I never know that!

I have the same issue with my LSA... "Flight Design XXXX" is always met with "say again type" and then me saying "Identifier is Foxtrot Delta Charlie Tango."

Last edited:

My Jabiru J230 is JAB4. I usually have to spell it - Juliet Alpa Bravo four. Then I often have to tell them 'Like a small Cessna'.

Last edited:
We did a flying club tour of Denver Center last year and I asked the controller I was plugged in with to please pull up what he saw in his system when he entered AAT4, the designator for my Gobosh 700 S-LSA. It was cool to see the little display come up with the info on my aircraft type. Despite that, I often get referred to as a Grumman, or Air Tractor. I also seem to get confused with some mythical Russian twin named Gobosh. My plane is decidedly not a twin and built in Poland :)

Carl

I flew for 2 hours today and just used "light sport 71A" all day. The briefer did get the ICAO code from me.

Back