Aircraft Data Plate

R

RobertGerace

Yesterday I realized that my aircraft data plate has my old N310AL instead of my new N310RG on it.

Does it matter?

Do I have to get it changed?

How do I go about getting a new one?

Thanks!

Mike Schneider said:
If you want to make your own, get some aluminum tape and find an old typewriter. Put the typewriter in "stencil" mode and type on the aluminum tape. Or, you can go to a trophy shop and have them make one up for you (if you do this, do not depend on the sticky stuff the trophy shop puts on the back of their plates to hold it on in the airstream). -- Mike

Don't be doing that. See 14 CFR 45.13(b): "Except as provided in paragraph (d)(1) of this section, no person may remove, change, or place identification information required by paragraph (a) of this section, on any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, propeller blade, or propeller hub, without the approval of the Administrator."

Since N-number is not one of the items required to be on the data plate, I don't see why one would have to change that superfluous piece of information, although that would best be confirmed with an Airworthiness Inspector. However, when I had my airplane and logs checked last week by the FSDO for my N-number change, all he wanted to see was the log book (showing a current annual), the old Airworthiness Certificate, the 8050-64 authorizing the change, and the new N-numbers on the plane. He did NOT check the data plate.

RobertGerace said:
Yesterday I realized that my aircraft data plate has my old N310AL instead of my new N310RG on it.

Does it matter?

Do I have to get it changed?

How do I go about getting a new one?

Thanks!

What the heck is the tail number doing on the Data Tag? That doesn't belong there. Don't worry about it, the FAA has a papertrail with the S/N that leads to your new tail number. In other words, do nothing.

Re: Oops

Mike Schneider said:
was talking about the small identification piece of metal which is located on the empennage near the horizontal stabilizer which IIRC does include the N number. What is the correct name for that identification piece of metal?

"Data plate". :rofl:

Re: Aircraft Data Plate? Identification Plate?

Mike Schneider said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. IIRC I had to add the "plate" on the empennage and aluminum tape was acceptable. I do not remember where that requirement came from, but I think the requirement came out about the same time the requirement came out for 12 inch N-numbers for aircraft coming in through the ADIZ from outside the U.S. The data "plate" for that aircraft came from the factory in a place that could not be seen from outside the aircraft. Maybe the requirement only applied to aircraft where the factory data "plate" could not be seen from the outside? What am I missing here? -- Mike
If the FAA ordered you to put a new plate on the plane, fine and dandy. Not sure why the airplane came from the factory that way, but the rule about being visible is clear:

Section 45.11: General.

(a) Aircraft and aircraft engines. Aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must be identified, and each person who manufacturers an aircraft engine under a type or production certificate shall identify that engine, by means of a fireproof plate that has the information specified in §45.13 of this part marked on it by etching, stamping, engraving, or other approved method of fireproof marking. ... Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the aircraft identification plate must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces. [emphasis added]

So if you needed to reapply the plate to comply with 45.11, fine. But you do NOT change any of the data on the plate without FAA approval. If someone put the N-number on the plate, leave it alone. As I said, the FSDO inspector did not check mine, although I honestly don't know if the N-number is there on mine, and it certainly is not required (see quote from 45.13 above).

Bob,

Your concern, I think, is justified. I would get it changed to your new N-number or, better still, no N-number at all, if possible. With the homeland security issues, a discrepancy noticed by a sharp eyed inspector can raise eyebrows even if an N-Number wasn't required on the data plate in the first place. Although I've never had US customs walk out of their offices to look at my plane, it could appear to an over-eager inspector that you might have some phony documents if he got out of the air conditioning to look at the data plate. Of course, there's always Customs of a foreign country to contend with too. I wouldn't want to sit in Customs for hours while they figured it out.

Gary Sortor said:
Your concern, I think, is justified. I would get it changed to your new N-number or, better still, no N-number at all, if possible. With the homeland security issues, a discrepancy noticed by a sharp eyed inspector can raise eyebrows even if an N-Number wasn't required on the data plate in the first place. Although I've never had US customs walk out of their offices to look at my plane, it could appear to an over-eager inspector that you might have some phony documents if he got out of the air conditioning to look at the data plate. Of course, there's always Customs of a foreign country to contend with too. I wouldn't want to sit in Customs for hours while they figured it out.
While I agree with the sentiment, make sure you coordinate your action with the FSDO. You really don't want to be messing with a data plate unless they have approved it and their approval is documented.

Ron Levy said:
While I agree with the sentiment, make sure you coordinate your action with the FSDO. You really don't want to be messing with a data plate unless they have approved it and their approval is documented.

I believe that the data tag we are talking about is a customs requirement, not a FAA one.

that tag requires N number, S/N, and make & model.

I don't know which one it is. I meant to take a picute of it today but I forgot. It is on the pilot's side, under the h-stab. It is gold and decorative and says 'Refinished by Devine'...and under that...N310AL...and under that...Cessna T310R...and under that...Serial # 0856. Sigh...

My fsdo yelled at me and gave me the 3rd degree about changing the N-number...I'm not looking forward to another round...

RobertGerace said:
I don't know which one it is. I meant to take a picute of it today but I forgot. It is on the pilot's side, under the h-stab. It is gold and decorative and says 'Refinished by Devine'...and under that...N310AL...and under that...Cessna T310R...and under that...Serial # 0856. Sigh...

My fsdo yelled at me and gave me the 3rd degree about changing the N-number...I'm not looking forward to another round...

That is not the location of any data tag certified by the FAA.. Cessna aircraft data tags are on the inner door post left side.

Piper data tags are interior also, but vary in location by model.

What you are looking at is a ID tag required by customs, if you are not crossing the border remove it and throw it away.

Or leave it alone (what ever)

Yep! Yer right on for the aircraft data tag.

But what he is looking at under the leading edge of the stab, is the Customs ID tag for that airframe.

RobertGerace said:
It is gold and decorative and says 'Refinished by Devine'...and under that...N310AL...and under that...Cessna T310R...and under that...Serial # 0856. Sigh...

QUOTE]

Sounds like something the paint shop stuck on there . . . "refinished by Devine." :goofy:

ORIGINAL AND REPLACEMENT IDENTIFICATION PLATES

Below is the in’s and outs of data plates. Each aircraft is required to have a data plate installed. Some are on the fuselage near the tail, right side by the door, or on a doorpost on the left side door. Data plates do not require the N-number. Owners are not allowed to make their own. All data plates are controlled by manufacture and to replace one requires a letter from your local FSDO.

Each aircraft presented for airworthiness certification must meet the requirements of § 21.182.

Each aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, propeller blade, and propeller hub manufactured under a TC or PC must be identified with the information specified in § 45.13. Manned free balloons are required to comply with § 45.11(c).

When a new identification plate is required, the owner or the owner's authorized representative contacts the appropriate Certification Office. The FAA determines if the request is valid and provides a letter to the applicant with the FAA's finding. If the FAA determines the request is valid, the applicant includes the FAA letter with his/her request for the replacement data plate from the appropriate manufacturer.

Upon notification by the applicant, which must include the FAA's letter, the product manufacturer may then issue the replacement identification plate.

The old identification plate, when available, should be voluntarily surrendered by the owner with a written statement to the FAA office who authorized the replacement. The FAA office shall make a copy of the plate and then physically destroy it. The FAA office shall then submit a letter to AFS-750 staling the surrendered plate has been destroyed. AFS-750 will include the letter in the permanent aircraft records file.

NOTE

When the identification plate is surrendered the identification plate is no longer considered personal property.

FAR Part 45 was mended effective September 4, 1979, (Amendment 45-10) to explicitly prohibit any person from removing, charring, or placing information on aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller ID plates required by FAR Section 45.11, and from installing or removing such ID plates without the approval of the Administrator. This amendment was in large part precipitated by the then existing practice of building an aircraft and identifying it with the ID plate from a scrapped or destroyed aircraft. It was intended that this rule change would serve as an effective enforcement tool, which would discourage the misuse of ID plates. However, in view of recent reports of continued misuse, it appears that this tool has not been employed in an effective manner.

There have also been a number of advertisements in aviation oriented periodicals offering aircraft ID plates for sale, or indicating the need for certain ID plates. Although this is a matter of concern to the FAA, they have taken no action relative to this activity since the regulations do not provide a basis for enforcement action against those individuals seeking or offering ID plates for sale. In these instances, the FAA takes the position that the purchasers of such ID plates would be in violation of FAR Section 45.13(c) and/or (e) if they were to affix the plates on aircraft without the approval of the FAA.

Stache

Back