Aircraft comparison

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Curious what you would do. A comparison between 2 Beech C33. Both NDH and allegedly well maintained. Both roughly same price. One is 4 years older than other. Both have compressions in all engine cylinders of 70 + with no metal in oil analysis. Both hangared and flown regularly.

Older plane has all avionics I want including ap/fd. Also has Aspen. Older plane has 700 hrs to go on 470N engine. airframe has 10,000 hours.

Younger plane would need Garmin GPS with WAAS. Has HSI. Needs a slight upgrade to ap/fd. Airframe approx 4,500 hours. 200 hours to go on a 520BA before TBO.

Which one would you rank first for purchase?

Older after careful airframe inspection

After a good pre buy I would go for the older one. Why buy something that has few hours left on engine and needs avionics upgrade.

After a good pre buy I would go for the older one. Why buy something that has few hours left on engine and needs avionics upgrade.

Planning on getting pre buy no matter what I get. Older airframe wouldn't bother you?

I must admit this will be my first and most likely last airplane.

Planning on getting pre buy no matter what I get. Older airframe wouldn't bother you?

I've owned many airplanes and never though the one I bought would be the last one. Why would you say that?

Can you burn mogas in the plane?

Curious what you would do. A comparison between 2 Beech C33. Both NDH and allegedly well maintained. Both roughly same price. One is 4 years older than other. Both have compressions in all engine cylinders of 70 + with no metal in oil analysis. Both hangared and flown regularly.

Older plane has all avionics I want including ap/fd. Also has Aspen. Older plane has 700 hrs to go on 470N engine. airframe has 10,000 hours.

Younger plane would need Garmin GPS with WAAS. Has HSI. Needs a slight upgrade to ap/fd. Airframe approx 4,500 hours. 200 hours to go on a 520BA before TBO.

Which one would you rank first for purchase?

Older...in a heartbeat. You're letting someone else take the avionics upgrade hit. Airframe hours (assuming clean inspection) wouldn't cost me any sleep. More useable engine hours on older one is a big plus, too.

Every purchase should have a consideration to the back end....ie what happens when you sell it.
While many here agree high time airframes are mostly not a deal killer....obviously you are concerned, which means many other buyers likely are.
Those other buyers may expect a discount on price because of high time when you sell it. So you might expect one now, if you buy it.
In fact, some online aircraft appraising estimators will discount based upon hours - that might give you an idea of what the market is doing with regards airframe hours.
Unless you don't care what happens when you go to sell it, or plan to fly it til "its all used up".
Either airplane is going to put a smile on your face, good luck!

Every purchase should have a consideration to the back end....ie what happens when you sell it.
While many here agree high time airframes are mostly not a deal killer....obviously you are concerned, which means many other buyers likely are.
Those other buyers may expect a discount on price because of high time when you sell it. So you might expect one now, if you buy it.
In fact, some online aircraft appraising estimators will discount based upon hours - that might give you an idea of what the market is doing with regards airframe hours.
Unless you don't care what happens when you go to sell it, or plan to fly it til "its all used up".
Either airplane is going to put a smile on your face, good luck!

Since this airplane would meet my mission,I really don't think I would be buying another one. I'm told 10,000 hours on a well maintained Beech with no corrosion isn't a big deal

I've owned many airplanes and never though the one I bought would be the last one. Why would you say that?

Because of my age and this meets my mission with no upgrades needed. It's a 470 N engine.

Probably because he knows what he wants and is being careful in his selection so he doesn't buy the wrong plane.

When I bought my 172 I never thought I would be buying another one either, but it turns out I didn't do enough research, and I misjudged my wife's patience with a slower plane. I'm looking for a 182 or a Mooney now.

Probably because he knows what he wants and is being careful in his selection so he doesn't buy the wrong plane.

When I bought my 172 I never thought I would be buying another one either, but it turns out I didn't do enough research, and I misjudged my wife's patience with a slower plane. I'm looking for a 182 or a Mooney now.

You're absolutely right. I'm pretty specific in what I'm looking for. Been looking for a C33, E33 or F33 for months. I'm a bigger guy so want cabin space. I want a min speed of about 150kias, 4 seats, useful load approx 1,000 pounds, full IFR w good auto pilot and Garmin GPS. I love Comanches but they are out of production and worried about parts in future. Beech appear to be a quality ac, and I prefer low wing. I'm also 51 so I can't really see flying for over 20 - 25 years in future. So this will be it unless I win a major lottery.

Back