Aircraft Cleaning Regulations?

loudbagel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
I have been all over searching the FAA, Boeing, My FAR-AIM and have been unable to find any regulations covering cleaning of Aircraft.

I have heard that you can only use "boeing approved cleaners" but all I could find was a reference to a 2003 reversion of Boeing Spec D6-17487P. So when I am cleaning my airplane what can I use?

What about for commercial applications, are cleaning companies held to different standards?

Would appreciate links or knowledge to any regulations!

Thanks

I would like to start cleaning my C172......But have had thoughts of starting a small company to detail the private jets at my local airport (Hawker 900xp,Global,Challenger)

On your 172 , use GoJo on the belly and a mild soap on the rest of the bird.

Can't help you with the jets except to say...carry a very large liability policy...very very large.

There are no FAA regulations on point. You just have to do the research to find out what works, what doesn't, and what (like original Simple Green) will eat or damage your airplane. In addition, if you plan to do this as a business, you will need to check on Federal, state, and local rules, such as EPA regulations regarding whatever you're dumping wherever you're dumping it.

I would like to start cleaning my C172......But have had thoughts of starting a small company to detail the private jets at my local airport (Hawker 900xp,Global,Challenger)
Go work for someone who does it for a while so you can learn the ropes.

Many of the corporate jet operators I work with usually use a dry wash to clean their aircraft. It helps keep the EPA at bay. As for smaller aircraft, you want to use something that won't induce corrosion. The regular simple green product had been known to lead to corrosion, but they now have an aviation grade product that works well.

The regulations come from the airport where you are doing the work. ask the airport manager, they will point you in the right direction and tell you what you can and can't use.

For an example BVS does not have an EPA approved wash rack. and to put one in that complies with EPA regulations will cost well over a million bucks.

Many of the corporate jet operators I work with usually use a dry wash to clean their aircraft. It helps keep the EPA at bay. As for smaller aircraft, you want to use something that won't induce corrosion. The regular simple green product had been known to lead to corrosion, but they now have an aviation grade product that works well.

Driwash works wonders

There are no FAA regulations on point. You just have to do the research to find out what works, what doesn't, and what (like original Simple Green) will eat or damage your airplane. In addition, if you plan to do this as a business, you will need to check on Federal, state, and local rules, such as EPA regulations regarding whatever you're dumping wherever you're dumping it.

Also tell the EPA that David says to shove it.

When is the only time the FAA will dictate when an aircraft will be washed?

Thanks everybody!

14 CFR Part 43 Appendix D
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

I have been all over searching the FAA, Boeing, My FAR-AIM and have been unable to find any regulations covering cleaning of Aircraft.

I have heard that you can only use "boeing approved cleaners" but all I could find was a reference to a 2003 reversion of Boeing Spec D6-17487P. So when I am cleaning my airplane what can I use?

What about for commercial applications, are cleaning companies held to different standards?

Would appreciate links or knowledge to any regulations!

Thanks
Most important, when finished, come clean mine.:D

Talk about prop wash:

I cleaned my first airplane the other weekend. The pilot took me for a flight and started cleaning the prop after we got back with a rag and some bug and tar remover - something about making the paint last longer or oxidizing or something. I looked at him and said "do you have a second rag?" So after the prop was cleaned he used black spray paint on the back of the propeller. Then he left and I used a rag with plain water to clean the bugs off the area in the front of the plane. He came back and laughed and showed me a way that was easier. It was in a spray bottle and I think blue (?). I'm pretty sure it was for airplanes and he just sprayed all the dead bugs, waited 30 seconds, then wiped them off. I felt pretty stupid but told him it was his plane and I didn't want to use anything but water without his permission.

Talk about prop wash:

I cleaned my first airplane the other weekend. The pilot took me for a flight and started cleaning the prop after we got back with a rag and some bug and tar remover - something about making the paint last longer or oxidizing or something. I looked at him and said "do you have a second rag?" So after the prop was cleaned he used black spray paint on the back of the propeller. Then he left and I used a rag with plain water to clean the bugs off the area in the front of the plane. He came back and laughed and showed me a way that was easier. It was in a spray bottle and I think blue (?). I'm pretty sure it was for airplanes and he just sprayed all the dead bugs, waited 30 seconds, then wiped them off. I felt pretty stupid but told him it was his plane and I didn't want to use anything but water without his permission.
You can also use motor oil on a rag to clean the prop.

Go work for someone who does it for a while so you can learn the ropes.

Good advice. And while you're at it, take a hard look at the wash rigs they use for jets and turboprops (or anything else they wash) and figure out how many planes you'll need to wash to pay for one of them. FYI, the going rate for the trailer, pump, tanks, brushes, rollers, hoses, nozzles, generator and related stuff is $15-18K

Talk about prop wash:

Sounds like WashWaxAll. Almost a dry wash and leaves a shine. Works on plexi too.

Back