Aircraft Boneyard

James_Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Eggman
These are photos of the aircraft graveyard at Davis Monthan AFB. I thought they were incredible.

These were sent to me via e-mail and I can make no certain claims as to their authenticity.

James Dean

Attachments

• Boneyard1.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • boneyard2.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • boneyard3.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • boneyard5.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
James_Dean said:
These are photos of the aircraft graveyard at Davis Monthan AFB. I thought they were incredible.

Thanks for the pics, I had an opportunity to rent and fly over that area last fall. Wonderful, but for the 100F temps and turb. Still fun, though.

I was just there last weekend. It is truly amazing to see that many planes just sitting there going to waste. I wanted to go in to the office and ask if they would just give me one.

Michael said:
I was just there last weekend. It is truly amazing to see that many planes just sitting there going to waste. I wanted to go in to the office and ask if they would just give me one.

Not all of them go to waste though.

Last time I was there, they said 21% get resold to other countries, etc.....

But yes the majority do just waste away..

Sonar5 said:
Not all of them go to waste though.

Last time I was there, they said 21% get resold to other countries, etc.....

But yes the majority do just waste away..

Or morph into tornado magnets.

Frank Browne said:
Or morph into tornado magnets.
Or get sliced and diced. :(

Attachments

• AMARC 8.jpg
    AMARC 8.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 30
Look authentic to me. Don't know if they still allow the 'boneyard' tour post 9/11. Used to be if the AFB was slow you could ask ATC for the tour. I haven't tried since 9/11.

ejensen said:
Look authentic to me. Don't know if they still allow the 'boneyard' tour post 9/11. Used to be if the AFB was slow you could ask ATC for the tour. I haven't tried since 9/11.

Yes they still allow the tour. But you have to take it from the Museum, and it is only by coach, no getting out. Charge is $6 for adults.

And boneyard is the nickname, but AMARC (Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center), is the proper name of the facility.

Here is the page for tour info, advance reservations are advised:
http://www.pimaair.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=232

Sonar5 said:
Yes they still allow the tour. But you have to take it from the Museum, and it is only by coach, no getting out. Charge is $6 for adults.

And boneyard is the nickname, but AMARC (Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center), is the proper name of the facility.

Here is the page for tour info, advance reservations are advised:
http://www.pimaair.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=232

I understand the ground tour. Glad it is manage by the Museum now and not the base, much easier. But I was talking about an overhead flightseeing 'tour' kind of like the 'Bay tour' in San Fransico. ATC would allow you to circle about a 1000' up to see the boneyard from the air and take a few pics. Like the ones posted. I know you don't get that from the museum.

ejensen said:
I understand the ground tour. Glad it is manage by the Museum now and not the base, much easier. But I was talking about an overhead flightseeing 'tour' kind of like the 'Bay tour' in San Fransico. ATC would allow you to circle about a 1000' up to see the boneyard from the air and take a few pics. Like the ones posted. I know you don't get that from the museum.
Dunno bout that. The weekend we were there, it was off limits due to airshow practice. It is a military base, so flyovers would be i guess their discression. Tuscon had their hands full of traffic just trying to reroute around that area last weekend. I really have no experience with them other than last weekend, so I cant say for sure if they allow fly overs durring normal operations.

Henning said:
I just want five of the Phantoms, gotta have spare parts ya know...
I just want the engine for an A-4 Skyhawk. Already got the rest...

Oh yeah, if anyone know where a couple engines and props are for a OV-10 Bronco we've got the bird....couldn't afford them but at least I can dream...

Last edited:
Michael said:
Tuscon had their hands full of traffic just trying to reroute around that area last weekend. I really have no experience with them other than last weekend, so I cant say for sure if they allow fly overs durring normal operations.

I was out there last fall, and they don't allow direct overflight, but they allowed us to fly "around the block" flying a rectangular pattern over the boneyard. You don't understand how large that facility is until you view it from the air. Wow, is that a lot of planes!

Does anyone know if the "Shuttle tour" is still available? Used to be you could call Patric approach and request it, and if no operations were being conducted, they would vector you down the landing facility at 500'. Haven't heard of it post 9/11 though.

Michael said:
Dunno bout that. The weekend we were there, it was off limits due to airshow practice. It is a military base, so flyovers would be i guess their discression. Tuscon had their hands full of traffic just trying to reroute around that area last weekend. I really have no experience with them other than last weekend, so I cant say for sure if they allow fly overs durring normal operations.

They do lots of demo show there. Same approach control works both. I've been routed over the base on departure so it may not be off limits. I get down there 2-3 times a year. Haven't had time to ask lately. The wife isn't real interested in old airplanes or circling, let alone combining the two.:)

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
I was out there last fall, and they don't allow direct overflight, but they allowed us to fly "around the block" flying a rectangular pattern over the boneyard. You don't understand how large that facility is until you view it from the air. Wow, is that a lot of planes!

Thanks Bill. That is what I was wondering. It is huge. When I did it before 9/11, Approach clear me over at with a minimum altitude and said call back when you're done.

Back