Aircraft A/C Price Return

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I know this won't apply to everyone, but Holy smokes I about melted today.

We took my buddies A36 to CXO today to get mine back and we both melted. We wanted to stay under class bravo so it was a low level flight with outside temps at 101 with humidity. Thankful it was a 25 minute flight. He didn't want to take my ice box A/C cooler, so we did not take it. Naturally, we talked about A/C in his A36, and he said it would cost north of $20K. But you have to see his A36. He's re-done the entire thing with Aspen avionics and new interior leather and exterior paint. If it were mine, I'd do the A/C tomorrow. But my 180, I don't think ever. It depends on the plane.

It got me to wondering how much return you get back on an aircraft when you go to sell it if you invest the ~$20K or more to install A/C? I guess a good question(s) would be "as a buyer, does A/C attract you to an aircraft, and how much premium are you willing to pay for it?" :arf:

My opinion is you never get your money back on upgrades on anything that floats, flies, or fudges.

You aren't going to get your money back, and depending on aircraft it could hurt. If I need a certain useful load that 60 pound of A/C equipment could knock it out of contention completely.

For those that want a step up from the ice box units, there are some nice true portable A/C units out there. Put them in when you need them, pull them out when you want the extra payload. They are pricey, but cheaper than one from the factory or an STC... and if you can't get your money back, keep it when you sell!

The cessna dealer told me once that a basic aircraft appeals to all buyers, so they are worth more as a percentage vs. those that have options. Say your friend put in a 50lb. A/C system. Great option for those of us in the south. Northerners would rather put that weight and money toward TKS. So in effect he has halfed his market of buyers by improving his aircraft.

As much as my friend has spent on his Bonanza, A/C would sure top it off and make it something special. It just feels like it deserves it.

I guess that's what I'm driving at. If it's a nice enough airplane, it should have A/C. Like a Cadillac without A/C ... it make's no sense.

I know if I were in the market for a new Bo, no A/C would be a deal killer for me. Granted, if I were in Wyoming, or Maine, maybe I wouldn't care. But down here, it sure is nice. :yesnod:

I used to fly a Saratoga with A/C - it was always cr@pping out.... I was was only useful when taxiing (couldn't be used for T/O due to power reduction and the tray sticking out the bottom) and wasn't all that effective in flight. I also used to rent a warrior that the A/C had been disabled, as it was ineffective and was always cr@pping out....

My summary - A/C and GA don't really mix, the A/C components take a real beating.

I used to fly a Saratoga with A/C - it was always cr@pping out.... I was was only useful when taxiing (couldn't be used for T/O due to power reduction and the tray sticking out the bottom) and wasn't all that effective in flight. I also used to rent a warrior that the A/C had been disabled, as it was ineffective and was always cr@pping out....

My summary - A/C and GA don't really mix, the A/C components take a real beating.

That would suck carrying around the extra weight and equipment and it not working worth a flip.

Heck, my little ice box cooler does the job. You just gotta put ice in it. It's too loud though. People in the back seat are gonna hate on it. :rolleyes2:

20k for AC in a piston aircraft, I'd pass

I would maybe pay a extra 4 or 5k for AC, but in all honesty I'd probably favor not having the complexity and just putting a cooler with ice and a blower in the back.

YMMV, but not as far as 20k worth

The cessna dealer told me once that a basic aircraft appeals to all buyers, so they are worth more as a percentage vs. those that have options. Say your friend put in a 50lb. A/C system. Great option for those of us in the south. Northerners would rather put that weight and money toward TKS. So in effect he has halfed his market of buyers by improving his aircraft.

Having a FIKI plane can change a no-go into a go, the AC is just a whiz bang thing, zero comparison.

Some extra hydration then fly high as able, soon it will be Fall. That's my answer to hot weather flying.

Counterpoint: everyone I know who has added the AC to their Bonanzas has been very satisfied with having done so, and air conditioned Bonanzas always seem to sell instantaneously when listed.

I believe I am going to add it to mine; turn a lot of "too hot to fly" days into flyable days, and arrive at business destinations refreshed and ready to go, no paper-towel bath and change clothes necessary.

The new FTA AC is very light 41 lb all in), well engineered and well-integrated, and they say you can hang meat in the plane for the cooling effect. In any event, if I had invested the shekels in making an A36 nice, the incremental cost of the AC would not serve as a barrier, as long as the weight dies not impinge on his core mission (for my plane, it would not).

I know this won't apply to everyone, but Holy smokes I about melted today.

We took my buddies A36 to CXO today to get mine back and we both melted. We wanted to stay under class bravo so it was a low level flight with outside temps at 101 with humidity. Thankful it was a 25 minute flight. He didn't want to take my ice box A/C cooler, so we did not take it. Naturally, we talked about A/C in his A36, and he said it would cost north of $20K. But you have to see his A36. He's re-done the entire thing with Aspen avionics and new interior leather and exterior paint. If it were mine, I'd do the A/C tomorrow. But my 180, I don't think ever. It depends on the plane.

It got me to wondering how much return you get back on an aircraft when you go to sell it if you invest the ~$20K or more to install A/C? I guess a good question(s) would be "as a buyer, does A/C attract you to an aircraft, and how much premium are you willing to pay for it?" :arf:

:rofl: Premium?!? Buyers want to hit you on your price because the system adds maint and reduces useful load. Premium... ROI....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ROI/airplane :rofl::rofl:
I don't add things to planes to sell them, I add or change what I want for ME. If the goal is to sell next year, I wouldn't consider adding AC or anything else, if the goal is to own it and fly it comfortably, I'd consider adding AC.:D
I probably wouldn't add AC to an old 172 or 182, they have windows that open and a high wing for shade.;)
:rofl: Premium?!? Buyers want to hit you on your price because the system adds maint and reduces useful load. Premium... ROI....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The sticker price to add the cabin air conditioning option to a new Cirrus is more than a friend paid to retrofit a 2000 sf house for central A/C. Have you considered carrying one of the cooler-based models as needed?

Back