Airbus A380 fiasco: a matter of dimensions?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
At least they didn't also mix inches and centimeters... or did they?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/26/AR2007042602300.html

Workers at the Airbus plant here spent last summer inside the massive three-story fuselage of the A380, the world's largest passenger plane, wrangling with 310 miles of wire and a baffling problem: Engineers in Germany had designed their part of the electrical system using two-dimensional diagrams, while engineers in France had done their share in 3-D.

"I'm sure books will be written about why, for five years, we were letting 6,000 engineers do the project in 3-D in France and 2-D in Germany, without realizing the risk that they wouldn't mesh, and then trying to fix the problem by hand," Leahy said in an interview. The engineers eventually went back to the drawing board; in October, Airbus announced a third delay for the A380, this time for a year.

Good grief! It's one thing to do circuit diagrams in 2D, but planning the actual wire runs? CATIA (and competitors 3D products) were standards decades ago. I can't imagine why any manufacturer wouldn't be using 3D fairly early in the process.

I remember something similar at a nuclear power plant. Engineers were told to lay out the unit 2 reactor building as a mirror image of unit 1. Unfortunately, the mechanicals mirror imaged it one way (say east to west) and the electricals mirror imaged it differently (say north to south). A bunch of electrical cables ended up being designed to go somewhere that the mechanical component wasn't.

Good grief! It's one thing to do circuit diagrams in 2D, but planning the actual wire runs? CATIA (and competitors 3D products) were standards decades ago. I can't imagine why any manufacturer wouldn't be using 3D fairly early in the process.

Amen! I don't think I'll be flying on an A380 anytime soon... too much wrong with that project.

I've gotta wonder how many redundant wiring paths there are for a "fly-by-wire" airplane?

Back