Airbus A380 Cattle Call -- Standing Room Only

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
gprellwitz said:
One thing Airbus is reported to be looking at to increase the passenger density on the new A380 for Asian countries is using "standing" seats, where the "passengers" (read "cattle") are strapped to a vertical padded board. http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/24/business/seats.php Airbus is denying the reports, calling them "crap". http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/25/news/companies/airline_standing/index.htm

I wonder where the NY Times author got his information. I would call it crap too. From a safety standpoint, that idea has no merit. A non starter. I doubt any manuracturer would seriously look into that.

Maybe they'll use the flight attendants to shove the last few people on board before the doors close to maximize loading. Works on the Tokyo subway...:D

My first thought when I heard it mentioned on NPR was "how are they going to be buckled into their seats on takeoff & landing." If it's asian intra-country only, it gets around that problem, because the FAA wouldn't be involved.

Oh no! I can't believe this has now cropped up here. Airbus Industries must be going mad with frustration.

This was considered very briefly. Once. Then the idea was discarded. Two years ago. Why the media have picked this up is a mystery. Worse, every story I've read or heard but one ends the bit with an acknowledgement that this is news that is so old it's not even news. Doesn't anybody read or listen to anything but the headlines any more?

Judy

Back when I first was visiting mainland China in the late 80's early 90's the domestic airlines would be general seating. There would be fist fights sometimes to get on and I have seen people standing in the aisles during take off. But today that does not occur.

smigaldi said:
Back when I first was visiting mainland China in the late 80's early 90's the domestic airlines would be general seating. There would be fist fights sometimes to get on and I have seen people standing in the aisles during take off. But today that does not occur.

fistfights? oh my.

It seems to me there's a tremendous amount of unused airspace within the Airbus. Remember the days when you got out of the seat and climbed up to a sleeping berth above ? No ? I see, the age thing again .... Well, there could be, what, at least three layers of people where we now have just the one, placed in those little cubicles that certain Japanese "hotels" use. Small oxygen cylinder in there for emergencies, sealable door, asbestos lining and you're good to go fire safety-wise (until extricated from the scene by forklift). They would need some sort of flotation device of course .....

Just think of the savings.

Back