Airasia 8501

I didn't think it was going to take this long, maybe a day or two. I'm just curious as to find out what happened.

Have they actually recovered them yet or just located? Depending on the conditions, it may take a few days to recover them. Then if they are bringing them in by boat, the transit may take a day or two (or more) in strong weather.

Last edited:
http://news.yahoo.com/airasia-plane-climbed-speed-beyond-normal-then-stalled-002608063.html

Is it true that airliners ususally only climb ~1000 fpm? My 172 would climb at 1,100 fpm on a good day. I would have thought 6,000 was realistic.

Just like with the 172, performance decreases as altitude increases. Even an airliner has a service ceiling that is weight and atmospheric condition dependent. When an airliner gets close, climb performance becomes minimal. Look at AF447 to see how close to stall they were cruising.

Just like with the 172, performance decreases as altitude increases. Even an airliner has a service ceiling that is weight and atmospheric condition dependent. When an airliner gets close, climb performance becomes minimal. Look at AF447 to see how close to stall they were cruising.
Yeah, I posted too quickly without thinking. The 1000fpm in my 172 was at sea level. We didn't quite get that rate over the Rockies.

Yeah, I posted too quickly without thinking. The 1000fpm in my 172 was at sea level. We didn't quite get that rate over the Rockies.

The Bonanza is fun if you want to do a zoom climb, it's pretty easy to bury the VSI up.:D;) If you hold it in ground effect while the gear comes up and then pull back for Vy, you get a pretty impressive starting rate as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/airasia-plane-climbed-speed-beyond-normal-then-stalled-002608063.html

Is it true that airliners ususally only climb ~1000 fpm? My 172 would climb at 1,100 fpm on a good day. I would have thought 6,000 was realistic.

Another possibility is that they got caught in a strong storm updraft and did not attempt to maintain altitude - 6000 fpm is within range of what has been observed, per Britannica (my conversion to fpm in brackets []):
"Updraft speeds typically peak in the range of 5 to 10 metres (16 to 33 feet) per second [960 to 1980 fpm], and speeds exceeding 20 metres (66 feet) per second [3960 fpm] are common in the upper parts of large storms. Airplanes flying through large storms at altitudes of about 10,000 metres (33,000 feet) have measured updrafts exceeding 30 metres (98 feet) per second [5880 fpm]."
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked...hunderstorms-and-mesoscale-convective-systems

Once exiting an updraft at the higher altitude they might have encountered a fast downdraft and might have stalled in that trying to slow their descent. Will be interesting to see what the flight recorder shows.

Yeah 8000 fpm sounds like they penetrated a t-storm to me. Whatever else may have happened, that would have been the fatal mistake.

We'll of course see what the data shows but that's my working hypothesis. Probably pulled power in the climb then stalled as they exited the updraft.

I don't care what ATC said to them, the PIC has to keep it out of a thunderstorm. He can use the words "unable" and "emergency" if needed but stay out of a thunderstorm.

Anyway, we'll see what the data shows.

Yeah, I think over stress in a T-Storm has been the primary working hypothesis to this point, and will likely prove accurate. Hitting a strong vertical sheer is my guess.

Back