Air Warning to the Denver PoA Gang

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Fair Warning to the Denver PoA Gang

My annual pilgrimage to The Inverness is next week. I will be in the area arriving Tuesday April 28th and departing Sunday AM, May 2.

If anyone is interested in gathering for food, drink, and fun, Saturday night, May 1 appears to be the best time for me.

Since many of us enjoy Sci-Fi and a good comic book yarn, one idea I had was to go with you guys to see an early showing of the new Avenger's Movie, when go find eats/drinks afterwards.

But if you guys have different and better ideas, speak up.

Last edited:
My annual pilgrimage to The Inverness is next week. I will be in the area arriving Tuesday April 28th and departing Sunday AM, May 2.

If anyone is interested in gathering for food, drink, and fun, Saturday night, May 1 appears to be the best time for me.

Since many of us enjoy Sci-Fi and a good comic book yarn, one idea I had was to go with you guys to see an early showing of the new Avenger's Movie, when go find eats/drinks afterwards.

But if you guys have different and better ideas, speak up.
First showing of Avengers, 12:01 AM May 1 (Friday O-Dark Thirty)? If anyone's interested, I'll get tickets. Deli, Chili's, other places close by for dinner beforehand. Or breakfast after.

3D or regular?

[update] Doesn't look like the local theatres are indulging in the 12:01 AM showing for Marvel. But there are 10 screens close to KAPA showing Avengers Friday evening. Which opens dinner/aftershow dinner to a huge number & types of restaurants.

Last edited:
Unable Friday...

The conference happens Friday and Saturday and is a very busy schedule. I need to be well rested for day 2.

Event winds down around 1600-1700 Saturday, so I can link up with you guys about 1800.

Unable Friday...

The conference happens Friday and Saturday and is a very busy schedule. I need to be well rested for day 2.

Event winds down around 1600-1700 Saturday, so I can link up with you guys about 1800.

By Saturday the fanboys will have seen it. No problem with tickets.

I can't make it to Chino Planes of Fame, so looking to PoA Colorado for entertainment: I would be delighted to hang out with y'all. (Prefer my sci-fi as space opera vs. comic books, but had a great time last meetup, so count me in!)

(Prefer my sci-fi as space opera vs. comic books, but had a great time last meetup, so count me in!)

We could always hand you a DVD player with Plan-9....

Or find a midnight showing or Rocky Horror... but then again, I'm not so sure about seeing Nate dressed as Franknfurter...

fantasies__a_frank_n_furter_fanfic__ch_3_by_mistresstara-d57lslr.jpg

We could always hand you a DVD player with Plan-9....

Or find a midnight showing or Rocky Horror... but then again, I'm not so sure about seeing Nate dressed as Franknfurter...

fantasies__a_frank_n_furter_fanfic__ch_3_by_mistresstara-d57lslr.jpg

He doesn't have the legs for it.

Hm...flying commercial or the 182? If the 182, got room for a couple furry passengers?

He doesn't have the legs for it.

True, but he might make a passable Eddie.

Hm...flying commercial or the 182? If the 182, got room for a couple furry passengers?

Commercial. Event and return is too time critical to be at the VFR whims of GA. Otherwise, I would reach out to MPR.

Re: Fair Warning to the Denver PoA Gang

4a2f16bea3b499343eb30cce391c88fe.jpg

Don't get all excited. The shooting range thing right before you is just a placeholder for my usual Saturday range trip which seems to be being cancelled too much lately.

(But I do have some free guest range passes if anyone is bored.)

I also still have to talk to "She Who Shall Really Set The Schedule" ... Ha.

And there's a chance I have company coming from Australia... And work related stuff... And...

But you at least managed to beat all that stuff to the calendar for the moment, Mike! It'd be good to see ya.

Time for the serious discussion......where for dinner? Sat night, probably need reservations.

If we do movie, how about one of the movie tavern places? Then after movie, we can reconvene at a good bar for hangar flying.

If we do movie, how about one of the movie tavern places? Then after movie, we can reconvene at a good bar for hangar flying.

There's one not far from KAPA - Landmark in Greenwood Village. Superb pizza place in the same shopping area, as is sushi & steaks. Underground parking, just in case it's snowing/raining. Long haul for Geremy, tho. Ticket includes free popcorn & non-alcoholic sodas. Bar available for those of us not flying the next day.

Yeah, it's a bit of a drive. I'd enjoy seeing Mike and the POA gang enough to do it, for sure. More interested in dinner and drinking together than a movie, but will go with the flow.

Looks like this is going to happen!

Well, we can cancel the movie and find someplace in downtown Denver. Those of us on the south side can take light rail, and it's closer for G-Man.

Not much of a sci-fi movie fan (it would be like the time I went with someone to a Harry Potter sequel and didn't understand a thing) but would be happy to meet later for dinner. It's looking like a better possibility for me not to need to work Saturday.

Honestly I'm not big on movies either, but I'll do whatever to be sociable and see Mike.

Not huge on Downtown much really either. Horrible parking and/or Light Rail... Both ick.

If you're going to try to get near downtown, just go across the highway into Highlands and hit the Highland Tap and Grill. Because you want this Mac n' Cheese.

9eef1e4ac6d18a98b3aa929f854676dc.jpg

They also have great burgers (lamb available) and salads, duck fat fries... (Yeah I said duck fat fries...) and beer. Plenty of beer.

bc4efbdf13e3eb5ad81982be924a3c76.jpg

20356fb72d25cad09b43f045f2621182.jpg

(Photos shamelessly stolen from Yelp. They've got other stuff too.)

It's a bit early for their patio though. And it's not a huge place. Probably "big enough" if it isn't crowded.

Hard to say what anyplace near Downtown will look like on a Saturday evening - but crowded is likely just about anywhere near there.

Been trying to think of places that can handle a group near Downtown or slightly off of Downtown to get the central location goal thing, but aren't so dang noisy you can't hear yourself think... But I usually only go places with Karen and we go for food... Since we can't talk much with our mouths full anyway... And rarely go with largish groups... LOL! Nothing in my head. And we already did Buckhorn Exchange...

Only places I've ever met up with groups Downtown are the Rialto Grill (because it's a block from the Paramount and we'd meet there before Warren Miller ski films every Fall, but Warren got old and his kid made the movies suck, so we haven't been in a while), one of the big chain brewery places on 16th Street Mall (yawn), and Pint's Pub (which is AWESOME but may be too small for a group to meet at - we worked four blocks away so we went there a lot - I mean... a LOT. Who can resist one of the country's largest collections of single malt scotch and mediocre British food washed down with the city's best hard ciders on tap?).

None of those are great for a large group. They're all fine for a medium to small group, but all could be crowded as heck on a Saturday.

Hmmm. Well whatever. Y'all pick something with food and we'll be there.

We might do the movie thing, not sure yet. If you said someone was playing the new Bob Hoover movie, we'd be there with bells on. Heh.

We could all just go trash Mike's hotel room, Joe Walsh style... :)

Beers, you say? I have heard of this precious liquid gold you call "beer." Highland Tap and Grille works for me.

I totally share your frustration with too-loud restaurants and bars and could provide a SAC-level rant. Y'all are very interesting people to talk with and I want to hear what you have to say.

Dropping the movies and going somewhere with a very good food and beverage selection
(and execution) is fine with me.

I don't want to derail the fun if folks like movies. And the joint I threw out there is just a recommendation if the group's trying to be near downtown but not directly in it.

Don't care. Happy to see y'all, whatever we do. Got to see an old friend from Australia tonight and his wife and we haven't seen his wife in 11 years we figured out. Wow time flies.

Any new thoughts on this? Keeping the day open.

Agreed....

Warren hit the big time with Endless Summer and capped it off with On Any Sunday...... They do ski films here in Jackson and his next generation is not even close to Warren's high marks.....

With that said.. If the weather is good I might fire up the beast and fly down there soon..:yes:

I don't even want to get started on what his kid did to him.

Warren's life's work is coming to a
close a while back and he passes the film company to his kid, then he does a voiceover for a friend for another work as a favor, and his kid sues dad under the company non-compete clause, for doing a voice over for a competitor.

His kid doesn't deserve a dime from anyone who likes Warren. It'll be a cold day in hell before I give another dime to see one of his weak ski films.

Warren was the real deal. His kid is ... well, never mind.

Still looking OK for me, either during the day or in the evening. But someone else needs to pick the place because I almost never go out to dinner (when in Denver) so I don't have any suggestions.

Okay, I took action and made a reservation at Highland Tap and Burger.
http://highlandtapdenver.com/menus/
http://highlandtapdenver.com/location-and-info/

Reservation is for 5:30pm for eight people.
(They won't take reservations after 6pm.)

I think we've got:
AggieMike88
Murphey
DenverPilot
EverSkyward
Me

Anyone else?
Any spouses, parole officers, or groupies joining us?

I need to confirm the reservation on Friday afternoon, so please update the count. Or, if a different location is better, let's go there.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

I'm cool with that... I'll have the rental Ford Expedition and am willing to pick up folks from the south side if we want to car pool

Man, I'd like to make it up there from COS, but Saturday is already full of commitments with it being Derby Day at Bourbon Bros and the Pacqauio fight. Should know about plans for the fight by tomorrow for sure. If it cancels, then we are a +2. I've talked to Mike over the phone (great info Mike, thanks) and I'd like to meet everyone. Unless G-Man hears from me in this thread and by PM, don't count on me, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My peer group meeting will be wrapping up early, finishing about noon-30-esque. Afternoon and evening open. Anyone care to link up?

My peer group meeting will be wrapping up early, finishing about noon-30-esque. Afternoon and evening open. Anyone care to link up?
What day? Wanna go flying? I'm free. Well, not free, but very cost-effective.

Okay, I took action and made a reservation at Highland Tap and Burger.

http://highlandtapdenver.com/menus/

http://highlandtapdenver.com/location-and-info/

Reservation is for 5:30pm for eight people.

(They won't take reservations after 6pm.)

I think we've got:

AggieMike88

Murphey

DenverPilot

EverSkyward

Me

Anyone else?

Any spouses, parole officers, or groupies joining us?

I need to confirm the reservation on Friday afternoon, so please update the count. Or, if a different location is better, let's go there.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Karen will probably come along. We'll plan on seeing y'all there.

Weather looks pretty nice on the extended forecasts last night. May have to wander aloft in the mighty Skylane sometime this weekend. Last weekend sure wasn't.

Co-owner got the transponder static test done this week so we're good for a while there again. He said he found our mechanic arm deep in another 182 replacing a bladder tank, and he didn't look like he was having much fun. Heh.

My meetings are done. Headed to the Highland Tap

Reservation is under "Pilots" or my name. See you soon!

Was good to see everyone, as always.

Back