Air Traffic Control in the Military

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
So Ive come to grips with the fact that I wont be able to fly for the military (mild asthma mainly), but would still like to stay in the industry and serve. So my second choices were all the cool (relative term) jobs like PJ, TAC-P, Combat Controller the usual stuff. But the things that rule me out of a flight slot also rule me out of these. Then I started thinking and ATC is the first thing that pops in followed by mechanic. Now I prefer ATC over maintainer even though I think both would be cool.

Anyone here got experience as a military controller, how to become one, best places to be stationed, transitioning to FAA controlling, the lot?

Thanks

I did 6 years as an USAF controller.

IMO, ATC is one of the best enlisted jobs you can get. Just remember military controllers are considered on flying status, similar to getting an annual classII medical. Last I heard asthma can be a overall disqualifying condition for military service. You'll need to further research this as I'm sure things have changed.

If you haven't talked to a recruiter about this already, I would cold call some and ask general asthma questions. While you shouldn't lie to a recruiter, "forgetting" that you had a mild case of asthma a long time ago could be the difference between being accepted or not (technique only). While you can receive a waiver for almost anything in the military, with the current financial cuts to the DoD and force reductions going on, waivers can be difficult to obtain.

Just remember all the services have ATC. I would recommend either the USAF or USMC for ATC. The Army will generally control mostly helos and while it's still ATC, it's generally not considered as difficult as fixed wing. The Navy is good also, except from my understanding carrier ATC is quite different and isn't considered qualifying ATC experience for the FAA. IMO, for the Navy you'd want to get stationed at a Naval Air Station (Land Base) to be eligible for FAA accredited qualifications.

You'll need to be hired by the FAA before turning 31 yrs old. Why? Union negotiated contract stating line controllers must retire by the age of 56....which equates to a minimum of 25 years of controlling in order to be eligible for a government pension.

Good Luck!

My information is going to be both biased and dated.

I am now retired but was a controller for both the Navy and the FAA. I have been full performance level controller at all levels including VFR towers, Non-Radar Approach Controls, Radar Approach Controls and ARTCCs’.

The job can be very rough on some people. Not all people have the ability to withstand the requirements, both physically as well as mentally, that the job demands. It can be tough on the family as well.

I would prefer to work in a Center. The work environment is more strenuous, but I found it to be the most satisfying. Regardless of which option you choose, be prepared for rotating shifts and rotating days off and you will miss being off from work with your family on holidays. I never had both Christmas day and Thanksgiving day off in the same year. Pay and benefits are generally good.

In my military experience (Vietnam era), Navy/Marine controllers had much more authority over operations than Air Force controllers were allowed to exercise.

I believe that all the services will guarantee you admission to their ATC training program when you enlist. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING before you sign on the dotted line! Your military controller experience will most likely be as a Tower only controller. There are not many approach control facilities left that are staffed by the military. Those that are still around handle mostly military traffic. I am not aware of any military Centers.

Others will have to advise you on current entry requirements for acceptance by FAA. I THINK that as ex-military controller you can be hired without the degreed requirements from an approved College.

I did it for 8 yrs in the Marines. Loved it! I'd still be doing it if I didn't go off to the Army to fly helicopters.

When I joined it was a dual MOS in that you could go either ATC or C-130 navigator. I was only 1 of 7 that qualified for C-130 navigator but I chose ATC. I don't regret it. The first day of class our instructor made it clear that we were in the best MOS the military has to offer. We quickly found out it had one of the highest washout rates also. C-130 navigator actually had the highest around 50%. Anyway over the next 16 weeks we were put through the ringer. Classes on airspace, weather, flight ops, radar and tower simulations. Out of our original 16 we dropped I believe 6. Back then it was at Memphis, now it's in beautiful Pensacola. After graduation I was stationed at Beaufort SC, Okinawa, and Miramar CA. Great experiences working every type of military aircraft imaginable including the Blue Angels and Air Force One. Also worked various GA aircraft as well. I was rated at radar final controller, approach, and got my control tower operator (CTO) in Okinawa. Also a supervisor in tower and radar.
I also did the tactical control out of state of the art portable radar systems. We essentially went into places like South Korea and Thailand during military exercises and took over their ATC system. We taught their controllers how to do radar and tower ops as well.

If I were to pick a branch of service I'd go Air Force though. My brother did ATC in the Air Force and would have as well but they would not give me a guaranteed contract so I went Marines. In the Air Force you'd have. Few benefits. First, your basic would be easy instead of the 12 weeks of pain I went through at Parris Island! You'd be pretty much Guarrenteed to go to a base that does a good traffic load. Probably not deploy anywhere. Your all around treatment and living conditions are quite good. Navy you would work some serious traffic as well but you run the risk of going out on the boat for 6 months at a time...unless that's what you want. I went out to the boat for 2 days to see how the Navy does ATC on a ship. Coolest thing in the world. Gotta take a trap/catapult in the COD, FOD walked around Tomcats and Hornets cranking up for the next cycle of ops and finally watched the controllers work their magic in CATCC. Definitely don't go Army. They don't work squat for traffic and it's all helos. Plus you'll find yourself doing things that have nothing to do with your MOS. I flew VIP in Afghanistan and my radio operator in the back was an Army controller. Often they do exercises of setting up and tearing down their portable gear and then rhey never use it. In the Marines we used it. We would go out to an island set up shop with portable approach,tower, TACAN and run C-130 into a 5,000 ft coral runway. Awesome stuff!

Now I don't know if you checked on the asthma thing but they do flight physicals every year. We were controllers but still were considered in flight status. If you go Air Force or Navy you can get back seat rides in jets as well...at least they did when I was in. FAA controllers used to get free commercial jump seat rides for controllers. You just showed them your "pink card" and your in. After 9/11 that all changed that policy. Anyway just make sure you can qualify with asthma. I Guarrentee you won't regret going ATC. Give it 100 % and it will be the most rewarding experience you can do in aviation. Good luck.:)

Last edited:

IMO, ATC is one of the best enlisted jobs you can get. Just remember military controllers are considered on flying status, similar to getting an annual classII medical. Last I heard asthma can be a overall disqualifying condition for military service. You'll need to further research this as I'm sure things have changed.

If you haven't talked to a recruiter about this already, I would cold call some and ask general asthma questions. While you shouldn't lie to a recruiter, "forgetting" that you had a mild case of asthma a long time ago could be the difference between being accepted or not (technique only). While you can receive a waiver for almost anything in the military, with the current financial cuts to the DoD and force reductions going on, waivers can be difficult to obtain.

Just remember all the services have ATC. I would recommend either the USAF or USMC for ATC. The Army will generally control mostly helos and while it's still ATC, it's generally not considered as difficult as fixed wing. The Navy is good also, except from my understanding carrier ATC is quite different and isn't considered qualifying ATC experience for the FAA. IMO, for the Navy you'd want to get stationed at a Naval Air Station (Land Base) to be eligible for FAA accredited qualifications.

You'll need to be hired by the FAA before turning 31 yrs old. Why? Union negotiated contract stating line controllers must retire by the age of 56....which equates to a minimum of 25 years of controlling in order to be eligible for a government pension.

Good Luck!

Well the asthma is not a problem for me personally, Im an athlete but it is on my medical records and such. I know I could survive the physical reqs of basic. Im definitely leaning towards USAF and USMC Army and Navy are options but not preferred.

If I understood that last part correctly then technically I would not need to be hired before I was 31 unless I wanted a pension correct? Lets say I do 20+ years in the service (and get a pension from the service) then retire and jump into an FAA position at 40+, I can still be hired but will be forced to retire at age 56?

I am now retired but was a controller for both the Navy and the FAA. I have been full performance level controller at all levels including VFR towers, Non-Radar Approach Controls, Radar Approach Controls and ARTCCs’.

The job can be very rough on some people. Not all people have the ability to withstand the requirements, both physically as well as mentally, that the job demands. It can be tough on the family as well.

I would prefer to work in a Center. The work environment is more strenuous, but I found it to be the most satisfying. Regardless of which option you choose, be prepared for rotating shifts and rotating days off and you will miss being off from work with your family on holidays. I never had both Christmas day and Thanksgiving day off in the same year. Pay and benefits are generally good.

In my military experience (Vietnam era), Navy/Marine controllers had much more authority over operations than Air Force controllers were allowed to exercise.

I believe that all the services will guarantee you admission to their ATC training program when you enlist. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING before you sign on the dotted line! Your military controller experience will most likely be as a Tower only controller. There are not many approach control facilities left that are staffed by the military. Those that are still around handle mostly military traffic. I am not aware of any military Centers.

Others will have to advise you on current entry requirements for acceptance by FAA. I THINK that as ex-military controller you can be hired without the degreed requirements from an approved College.

Oh I know all the recruiter horror stories. I assure you my dad, who did 32 years in the USAF and retired at E-9, will not let me do anything stupid. :)

Thanks guys

DoDI 6130.03 contains the basic medical standards for all of the services (obviously, some jobs have additional requirements). Here's what I found about asthma:
d. Airway hyper responsiveness including asthma (493.xx), reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm (519.11) or asthmatic bronchitis (493.90), reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday.
(1) Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea which persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.
(2) Individuals DO MEET the standard if within the past 3 years they meet ALL of the criteria in subparagraphs 11.d.(2)(a)-(d).
(a) No use of controller or rescue medications (including, but not limited to inhaled corticosteroids, leukotriene receptor antagonists, or short-acting beta agonists).
(b) No exacerbations requiring acute medical treatment.
(c) No use of oral steroids.
(d) A current normal spirometry (within the past 90 days), performed in accordance with American Thoracic Society (ATS) guidelines and as defined by current National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) standards.

I did it for 8 yrs in the Marines. Loved it! I'd still be doing it if I didn't go off to the Army to fly helicopters.

When I joined it was a dual MOS in that you could go either ATC or C-130 navigator. I was only 1 of 7 that qualified for C-130 navigator but I chose ATC. I don't regret it. The first day of class our instructor made it clear that we were in the best MOS the military has to offer. We quickly found out it had one of the highest washout rates also. C-130 navigator actually had the highest around 50%. Anyway over the next 16 weeks we were put through the ringer. Classes on airspace, weather, flight ops, radar and tower simulations. Out of our original 16 we dropped I believe 6. Back then it was at Memphis, now it's in beautiful Pensacola. After graduation I was stationed at Beaufort SC, Okinawa, and Miramar CA. Great experiences working every type of military aircraft imaginable including the Blue Angels and Air Force One. Also worked various GA aircraft as well. I was rated at radar final controller, approach, and got my control tower operator (CTO) in Okinawa. Also a supervisor in tower and radar.
I also did the tactical control out of state of the art portable radar systems. We essentially went into places like South Korea and Thailand during military exercises and took over their ATC system. We taught them radar control as well.

If I were to pick a branch of service I'd go Air Force though. My brother did ATC in the Air Force and would have as well but they would not give me a guaranteed contract so I went Marines. In the Air Force you'd have. Few benefits. First, your basic would be easy instead of the 12 weeks of pain I went through at Parris Island! You'd be pretty much Guarrenteed to go to a base that does a good traffic load. Probably not deploy anywhere. Your all around treatment and living conditions are quite good. Navy you would work some serious traffic as well but you run the risk of going out on the boat for 6 months at a time...unless that's what you want. I went out to the boat for 2 days to see how the Navy does ATC on a ship. Coolest thing in the world. Gotta take a trap/catapult in the COD, FOD walked around Tomcats and Hornets cranking up for the next cycle of ops and finally watched the controllers work their magic in CATCC. Definitely don't go Army. They don't work squat for traffic and it's all helos. Plus you'll find yourself doing things that have nothing to do with your MOS. I flew VIP in Afghanistan and my radio operator in the back was an Army controller. Often they do exercises of setting up and tearing down their portable gear and then rhey never use it. In the Marines we used it. We would go out to an island set up shop with portable approach,tower, TACAN and run C-130 into a 5,000 ft coral runway. Awesome stuff!

Now I don't know if you checked on the asthma thing but they do flight physicals every year. We were controllers but still were considered in flight status. If you go Air Force or Navy you can get back seat rides in jets as well...at least they did when I was in. FAA controllers used to get free commercial jump seat rides for controllers. You just showed them your "pink card" and your in. After 9/11 that all changed that policy. Anyway just make sure you can qualify with asthma. I Guarrentee you won't regret going ATC. Give it 100 % and it will be the most rewarding experience you can do in aviation. Good luck.:)

Marine ATC tech school is in Pensacola? I live an hour away... might need to stop by :)

As far as 6 months on a boat goes... well... Ill pass.

What is in a flight physical? Stress test? Breathing test? Anything like an FAA flight physical?

BTW when I enlist I would be 20 and have a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I believe I would strive in ATC, I know a lot about flying in general, and the military Im just trying to get down to the nitty gritty details.

I was not a military controller, I was an FAA controller.
Yes, FAA mandatory retirement is age 56. I've been out of the game too long to know what their current retirement plan is. I do know that the great civil service retirement plans of old are long gone. New civil service hires have a "Thrift Savings Plan", think 401K.

Military controllers are enlisted positions (low pay) college degree not required. FAA requires college degree, yes you can get that while in the military, highly recommended that you do if you want promotions.

There are fewer military radar approach control facilities around. Las Vegas Class B TRACON is split between FAA and Military (Nellis AFB). Two different facilities.

Marine ATC tech school is in Pensacola? I live an hour away... might need to stop by :)

What is in a flight physical? Stress test? Breathing test? Anything like an FAA flight physical?

BTW when I enlist I would be 20 and have a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I believe I would strive in ATC, I know a lot about flying in general, and the military Im just trying to get down to the nitty gritty details.

If you have a BS in engineering, why go in as enlisted. That's Officer Material!
Sure, you would not get to do ATC.

FAA requires FAA Class II medical. Expect about the same for military ATC.

First post.....:yes: Welcome to POA... And thanks for the comments, and your service to this country...:wink2:

This is for the current and retired ATC folks. My best friend in the USAF was a tower flower as we affectionately called them. He worked the FAI (Fairbanks)tower while still in the Air Force back when Reagen fired the controllers that went on strike. Anyway I lost track of him when he pcs'd out. I am sure he went right into ATC land but I cannot find him.

Is there anyway to try to hunt him down in the system. I would love to see him again.

Yes, FAA mandatory retirement is age 56. I've been out of the game too long to know what their current retirement plan is. I do know that the great civil service retirement plans of old are long gone. New civil service hires have a "Thrift Savings Plan", think 401K.

Military controllers are enlisted positions (low pay) college degree not required. FAA requires college degree, yes you can get that while in the military, highly recommended that you do if you want promotions.

There are fewer military radar approach control facilities around. Las Vegas Class B TRACON is split between FAA and Military (Nellis AFB). Two different facilities.

If you have a BS in engineering, why go in as enlisted. That's Officer Material!
Sure, you would not get to do ATC.

FAA requires FAA Class II medical. Expect about the same for military ATC.

I'm not worried about the pay. I will have a Bachelors when Im twenty. Im graduating with an associates next year. Then I have another two years of college paid for. And its a " use it or lose it" sorta deal.

Now in my small mind ideally I do 30 years in the Air Force and retire at E-9 like my pops. Then do some time as an FAA controller and see where life goes after that.

I have been trained since birth to make fun of officers. :D
And I bet if I went in as an officer I would find a job and be happy and do well at it. But at the same time Im not a fan of riding a desk and doing paper work like most officers end up doing.

If you have the degree: GO OFFICER

I'm a former crypto (also trained in Pensacola) and was able to live "the good life" of the fleet. We were treated pretty much the best by the military as far as enlisted goes -- hated and misunderstood by many. ^_^ Still, most of the guys I knew went officer if they could. Many even changing out from being crypto wizards/owls and becoming "Supply Officers." One of my buddies is now an O-3 "Supply Officer" on I think the ****ty kitty, and he says he's glad he did it.

If you'll be done with the bachelors degree when you're 20 you're undoubtedly smart, take the path that will put your brain to work not your back!

Also, do you Know that you're ineligible to fly? One of the guys I was with in basic and A-school was in on a drug waiver (admitted he did drugs prior to joining, swore them off and would have to stay off in order to stay in). In order to get his security clearance he couldn't have any disqualifying waivers -- since he scored well enough in A-school they got him a waiver for his waiver.

There's some things you just can't get around, but asthma shouldn't be an issue so long as you can demonstrate it won't hold you back from your duty. Hell, I know an EOD (now retired) who's colorblind :rofl:

TLDR: Go officer, you can even probably go flight.

The physical, while an inconvenience, is quite easy. The first one is probably the hardest. You take a reading test as well to make sure you speak clearly. Believe it or not we had a guy who somehow made it through school who studdered. Unfortunately we had to terminate him after only a couple of GCAs. You won't be doing any stress tests or breathing tests. I think it was every five years I did a full physical (long form) which was more in depth. On that I did an EKG, X-ray, blood tests, etc. As far as the asthma thing you really need to contact a military flight surgeon to see if you qualify. Doesn't matter that you're an athlete, they have regs to follow.

With a BA degree you could easily go the officer route but unless it was a pilot or WSO I wouldn't want to do it. Very few in military ATC get their ratings to get an FAA or DOD job. You'd be better off enlisted. Also they used to have a program called Pheonix 20 that allowed you to retired from the military and go to the FAA without the 31 yr age limit. DOD has an age limit of I believe 36 but that allows a waiver as well.

If you have the degree: GO OFFICER

I'm a former crypto (also trained in Pensacola) and was able to live "the good life" of the fleet. We were treated pretty much the best by the military as far as enlisted goes -- hated and misunderstood by many. ^_^ Still, most of the guys I knew went officer if they could. Many even changing out from being crypto wizards/owls and becoming "Supply Officers." One of my buddies is now an O-3 "Supply Officer" on I think the ****ty kitty, and he says he's glad he did it.

If you'll be done with the bachelors degree when you're 20 you're undoubtedly smart, take the path that will put your brain to work not your back!

Also, do you Know that you're ineligible to fly? One of the guys I was with in basic and A-school was in on a drug waiver (admitted he did drugs prior to joining, swore them off and would have to stay off in order to stay in). In order to get his security clearance he couldn't have any disqualifying waivers -- since he scored well enough in A-school they got him a waiver for his waiver.

There's some things you just can't get around, but asthma shouldn't be an issue so long as you can demonstrate it won't hold you back from your duty. Hell, I know an EOD (now retired) who's colorblind :rofl:

TLDR: Go officer, you can even probably go flight.

Well I dont know but a couple other things are stacking against me especially with the service being so picky now a days. Vision, flat feet (stupid but has to be waivered), currently I dont think I have a proper height to weight (if that is considered, Im 5'9 and 125).
Im going to make an appointment with a flight surgeon and see what he says. But I wouldnt mind ATC at all its almost even with flying.

As far as working my mind not my back, Im a hands on person. I excel with visual things (math for instance, I can see whats happening but dont ask me to do it in my head). I appreciate a physical challenge that makes me think at the same time (flying!!!).

Last I heard asthma can be a overall disqualifying condition for military service. You'll need to further research this as I'm sure things have changed.

I did not read this whole tread and just stopped right here. I can say this as I was in the Air Force and I was a maintainer. In 2005 I was medically separated from the Air Force after 7.5 years for Mild intermittent Asthma (and I mean VERY mild). Asthma make you non world wide deployable and being deployable is the name of the game.

Heck that almost became a problem on my class 3 since I had to say I had asthma and was medically separated, but it was all good in the end.

Now I still give back to my country, I work as a contractor on an AF base maintaining flight simulators for SUPT and I fly GA on the side. Pretty sweet!

My 20+ yr enlisted dad always told me, if you are going into the service, go in as an Officer!

If you are thinking 30 yrs military and E-9 retirement, my hats off to you, I've known a few fine Chiefs during my AF career.

But after 30 yrs military, you'll be too old for the FAA "new hire". And personally, after doing the FAA ATC school in OKC at 21yrs old, I would not want to be tackling that at age 50.

I did college, hired by FAA at Boston Center. Did that for 5 years, Full Performance Qual Radar controller. Then I had an opportunity to fly, so I did 20+ yrs as an AF Flight Officer.

I think I'm a lot healthier now at age 56, than if I had stayed with the FAA. When I left the FAA, only 5% of the work force survived to a 20 yr retirement. Hypertension busted them on the medical after about 15 years. I looked for other opportunities when the FAA stopped approving early medical retirements.

Few benefits. First, your basic would be easy instead of the 12 weeks of pain I went through at Parris Island! You'd be pretty much Guarrenteed to go to a base that does a good traffic load.

I think USAF ATC at F.E. Warren AFB or Schriever AFB would be great. :)

(Just kidding...)

One of my buddies is now an O-3 "Supply Officer" on I think the ****ty kitty

Probably not the Kitty Hawk, as she was decommed back in like 2008 or so :)

As for asthma being disqualifying for pilot, I'm almost positive that this is the case. That being said, there are waivers for a lot of things, and with medical issues like that one (id guess it is treated in a similar manner to allergies) they are often considered if you have been asymptomatic for a number of years without medication. Bottom line, you really wont know until you go see military flight doc from the service you intend to join. The physical itself is very thorough......think of it like an FAA class 1 medical in spirit. They check your vision (acuity, astigmatism and general health of your eyes) and check for colorblindness, take your blood, give you a hearing test, take your EKG, check your anthropometric measurements (things like sitting height, knee to butt length, etc), take a bunch of x-rays, and then the doc him or herself will give you a thorough exam including dropping your trousers :) This may be a little bit different for some of the other services, but that is a standard long form physical in the USN or USMC, with a couple of extras that are normally only done during your first physical while applying. Hope that helps!

You'll need to be hired by the FAA before turning 31 yrs old.

Good Luck!

According to our local controllers, it isn't HIRED, but completed training before turning 31. You need to be on-the-job by your 31st birthday.

This is for the current and retired ATC folks. My best friend in the USAF was a tower flower as we affectionately called them. He worked the FAI (Fairbanks)tower while still in the Air Force back when Reagen fired the controllers that went on strike. Anyway I lost track of him when he pcs'd out. I am sure he went right into ATC land but I cannot find him.

Is there anyway to try to hunt him down in the system. I would love to see him again.

Start here:http://directory.faa.gov/appspub/National/EmployeeDirectory/FAADIR.nsf/?Open

alaskaflyer,

That was too easy. I found the name and left a message on his voice mail. It sounded like him so hopefully he will call back.

There are three legs to the FERS retirement stool: Annuity (pension), Social Security, and Thrift Savings (401k-like program as you say.) Some say a fourth leg is continuing with federal health plans into retirement.

For ATC as with most federal law enforcement, firefighters, and Congress, you are in a special FERS system. While the above is still true your benefits are enhanced such as a higher yearly multiplier for your annuity, and the special annuity supplement to bridge the gap between retirement and when actual Social Security payments kick in. This is to "make up" for an early retirement which except in the case of Congress is mandatory. Until then, you pay a small percentage of your salary each pay period towards your eventual annuity, you pay Social Security taxes like everyone else, and you save what you can in your thrift savings plan which the governing matches up to the first 5% (actually more complicated but you get the gist.)

In my case (law enforcement) assuming I stay until mandatory retirement (57 for us) I can expect a basic annuity of approximately 40% of the average of my high three years of salary. Nothing to sneeze at these days but certainly not extravagant. The rest of my government retirement will be made up of my savings (some of which were government match funds) and the special supplement which will disappear when I qualify to begin taking SS. Of course that assumes no changes by Congress before then.

I believe the typical ATC retirement scenario would be very similar. Of course military time is often creditable towards civilian retirement?

All this assumes a classic hire. I believe that Phoenix 20 hired positions (qualified retired military ATC'ers hired into a term position by the FAA) might not be in the FERS special retirement system?

Last edited:
Probably not the Kitty Hawk, as she was decommed back in like 2008 or so :)

As for asthma being disqualifying for pilot, I'm almost positive that this is the case. That being said, there are waivers for a lot of things, and with medical issues like that one (id guess it is treated in a similar manner to allergies) they are often considered if you have been asymptomatic for a number of years without medication. Bottom line, you really wont know until you go see military flight doc from the service you intend to join. The physical itself is very thorough......think of it like an FAA class 1 medical in spirit. They check your vision (acuity, astigmatism and general health of your eyes) and check for colorblindness, take your blood, give you a hearing test, take your EKG, check your anthropometric measurements (things like sitting height, knee to butt length, etc), take a bunch of x-rays, and then the doc him or herself will give you a thorough exam including dropping your trousers :) This may be a little bit different for some of the other services, but that is a standard long form physical in the USN or USMC, with a couple of extras that are normally only done during your first physical while applying. Hope that helps!

:yeahthat:

I got out in 2006 -- before they did away with the special "voluntary" initiations too. >;-D

According to our local controllers, it isn't HIRED, but completed training before turning 31. You need to be on-the-job by your 31st birthday.

I think they bumped that to 35 some time ago. Couldn't find enough applicants at one point.

Back