Air-to-Air Pitcairn PA-6 Super Mailwing

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I just got back from Blakesburg for the Antique Aircraft Association Fly-In. I went up to Ryan, who owns this beautiful plane and told him I was sent over to talk to him about getting some air-to-air photos. He immediately said, "Let's do it!" He loved every minute of it and so did I!

My understanding is, there are two of these planes still in existence, and only one is flying. What a beauty.

36222921133_94f659e219_b.jpg

36222920533_b972413db6_b.jpg

36842476716_73ee9d062f_b.jpg

36222916393_3b28519316_b.jpg

36222914433_814036f88a_b.jpg

36859543412_73b087a3a9_b.jpg

36859543182_af82036056_b.jpg

36859543002_256ab2973c_b.jpg

Wow, that's a beaut. Great pics as always. If I had a plane worthy of taking pictures, I'd pay you money to do it.

Gorgeous!

I zoomed in to the wheels, to see if it has brakes. I don't see any -- although Wikipedia says it has disc brakes. I wonder what I'm missing.

It has brakes but they are pretty marginal. A lot of the old airplanes had ****ty drum brakes. You never knew if they were going to work or not. That's one of the challenges of flying antique airplanes. Don

Wow! You really get great pictures!

Gorgeous!

I zoomed in to the wheels, to see if it has brakes. I don't see any -- although Wikipedia says it has disc brakes. I wonder what I'm missing.
A lot of the aircraft of that vintage had either no brakes or mabe "iffy" brakes. But the had a tail skid, as opposed to a tailwheel.
The one pictured in my avatar, had no brakes at all. But haul back on the stick, and apply power, will dig the skid into the ground, and you'll stop
pretty quickly. while taxiing around, sharp turns required forward stick, and a burst of power, to lift the tail slightly, and allow it to swing around.

I just looked closer at the picture and he has Redline disc brakes. Plenty of stopping power. Don

What do you charge? I'd like to get some air-to-airs of a friends Beech 18 if it's not too expensive. We're in north MS

What do you charge? I'd like to get some air-to-airs of a friends Beech 18 if it's not too expensive. We're in north MS

Tell your friend to bring his BE-18 to the Beech Party in Tullahoma. They usually put Bob Burns in one of the AT-11s and do plenty of formation photo shoots with the other Beech 18s

Shoot me an email. I'm sure we can work something out.

It's just about time for Blakesburg again, so if you've always wanted to check it out, do it this year! Aug 29 - Sep 3, IA27 Looking forward to meeting some of you there. If you do come, and you fly in, please make sure to go to the website and read up on it. We'll have hundreds of aircraft flying in and not using radios. Some of you would go into shock! Back-to-Blakesburg

My goal is to offer air-to-air photos for a donation to the museum.

Back