51946239580_f7a31e2cc1_b.jpg

51944642527_42490b0d93_b.jpg

51945936749_f4317b4a7c_b.jpg

51946230600_355d1281f2_b.jpg

51944638482_c800528697_b.jpg

51944638097_9d3d523b36_b.jpg

51944636802_b26ff87167_b.jpg

51945617061_c43f4db789_b.jpg

Dig the straight on. Haven't seen that one before. Hope it makes a regular appearance

I don't see any rudder deflection in the straight-on. How'd you do it?

And SINCERE congrats to another clean-belly-club member!
My guess is he’s shooting from the back side door so it’s not head to head, heck he could be flying almost directly away from the target plane, and he’s using a lens long enough it’s not as close as it looks.

My guess is he’s shooting from the back side door so it’s not head to head, heck he could be flying almost directly away from the target plane, and he’s using a lens long enough it’s not as close as it looks.

When I flew with Jack, we used lots of rudder. And, at times we were “that close”. He probably still has emotional scars from that, eh @Lowflynjack ?

I don't see any rudder deflection in the straight-on. How'd you do it?
It's not easy to get the head-on shots. Seems like we get it every now and then. Depending on how the pilot has done on the rest of the shoot determines if I'm even going to try it! I had an F-18 pilot struggle to get it right when flying a Cessna 150... took him four tries and he wouldn't give up! In this case, the pilot didn't have enough rudder in, but I captured the shot right before he disappeared!

When I flew with Jack, we used lots of rudder. And, at times we were “that close”. He probably still has emotional scars from that, eh @Lowflynjack ?
We did get close on that flight! I think I remember the shocked look on your wife's face more than anything! Takes a lot to rattle me!

The lack of a good straight-on shot was my only regret from my photo shoot with Jack. In hindsight, we should've briefed the maneuver on the ground in more detail. Something as simple as "at some point, I'll ask you to slip the plane with the nose directed toward the photo ship so I can get a look at the front of your plane..." or something simple like that. When I got the instructions over the radio, I didn't realize what the objective was, and the word slip wasn't used. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy with the overall results. Jack is a pro.

The lack of a good straight-on shot was my only regret from my photo shoot with Jack. In hindsight, we should've briefed the maneuver on the ground in more detail. Something as simple as "at some point, I'll ask you to slip the plane with the nose directed toward the photo ship so I can get a look at the front of your plane..." or something simple like that. When I got the instructions over the radio, I didn't realize what the objective was, and the word slip wasn't used. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy with the overall results. Jack is a pro.
Yeah, I've learned a lot since then! You're not far from me, we can always do it again! It's a challenge even when briefed. I watch how they brief it for my A2A shots with the EAA at KOSH and it still doesn't work most of the time. We're going to try less rudder on the photo plane on some of the next shoots.

Back