Air-to-Air Piper Apache

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
This was a great shoot. I had another shoot on Saturday, when the weather was perfect and it was predicted to be cloudy Sunday morning, which was the only time I could get this shoot in to meet my deadline.

We decided to give it a try since it's based only 20 minutes from me. We showed up and Phil had the plane on the ramp and ready to go. Looking East, I could see that from the time the sun rose and when it would go behind a dark line of clouds would be short. We launched and headed toward Belton Lake to circle between the Restricted airspace of Fort Hood and the Temple airport.

It worked out perfectly. Phil's experience in military formation flying showed when he formed up on us seamlessly. We made a couple of circles around the lake, go the shots we needed and it was probably the shortest air-to-air session I've ever done!

Oh, and before one of you points it out, yes, his gear was sagging. Known issue! Nothing I could do and the deadline for the magazine is today.

44529999810_71bb064c74_b.jpg

44529995040_b50c3c5dfd_b.jpg

45623598494_7e56ac84af_b.jpg

45623562614_1d4a4fe304_z.jpg

32474878938_bfa6571bb8_b.jpg

44529937420_4538de644b_b.jpg

And... we lost the sun.
45623547674_78dfcba521_b.jpg

Oh, and normally, I tell people not to take a lot of photos of me. I know it's exciting and for some, they will never fly this close to another airplane again, so a few are okay! If you've never flown with me, you can see what it looks like from Phil's son Justin's perspective!
45630151764_693ab42350_b.jpg

45440871515_45a9cc6620_b.jpg

:eek:. I love the Apache. Regardless of it's performance abilities it has such a classic look.

Great shots Jack!

Edit: Is the nose gear supposed to be poking out?

I prefer the rounded wingtip better but otherwise a great looking airplane. Prices are really starting to go up on them.

:eek:. I love the Apache. Regardless of it's performance abilities it has such a classic look.

Great shots Jack!

Edit: Is the nose gear supposed to be poking out?
Thank you!

And I see you skipped right to the eye candy of my post!!

Last edited:
Beautiful PA23 !

We had gear sag this past year also. Replaced the hyd pack in the airplane to correct the issue.

Ours is a 59 partial conversion.

I prefer the rounded wingtip better but otherwise a great looking airplane. Prices are really starting to go up on them.
Meh, all used prices are up as a result of the credit loosened of the last 18 months. The fundamentals of demand for the apache haven't really changed. Flight schools are mostly still hoarding seneca Is and Seminoles.

The private prices on all airplanes are about to get kicked in the nether region here in 2019. Just heard people freaking out already about a proposed quarter of a point interest increase by the fed, even the WSJ writing a big whiny editorial to the fed begging not to do it. It sure looks my prediction of recession by 3rd qtr is on track. Careful what you choose to buy between now and end of summer 2019.

T'is the season and repossession's the reason :D:D

Each photo session you post I say he will never do better than this one. And then you do it again. Bravo!

Each photo session you post I say he will never do better than this one. And then you do it again. Bravo!
Thanks! From this one, I think I've decided I will start having the planes in the air before the sun is up. It gave me the chance to be in position and catch the earliest rays. This time it was because I didn't have a choice!

Wow Jack!
These are beautiful. Great job.

I agree that the color of the light added a lot on this one.

Gary

Fantastic as always, Jack!

I love the Apache. As @Mtns2Skies said, such a classic beauty. Performer or not, I flew a '55 short nose model to OSH a few years ago, and it was nice, roomy, and comfy. Great bird.

These shots make me want to own an Apache, so classic looking. Nicely done.

Nice shots. 1, 3, and 4 are in my opinion the best you’ve ever posted. Keep up the good work.

These shots make me want to own an Apache, so classic looking. Nicely done.

That's a really pretty Apache.
Nobody ever said an Apache was a beautiful airplane, but you really brought out the classic lines in these shots Jack.
I especially liked pic #7 (the last one) from above. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know people that paid more than that for a clapped out 172. :oops:

Hydraulic power pack is a beech to get to; will need to remove for overhaul to deal with the gear droop issue.
Otherwise seems quite a capable airplane for that price.

But then I am biased, so what do I know.:D

Your Apache shoot is one of my favorites. Nicely done!

Back