Air-to-Air Champ over Lake Granger, Texas

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
So my friends Molly and Becca came out to the airport to fly and we decided it was time for some photos. We had a lot of fun and flew until the sun was almost gone!

45625312461_cf851055af_b.jpg

44711708615_e47c831b5a_b.jpg

45625305031_104e0c4a3a_b.jpg

45625300091_b582212647_b.jpg

45625297741_ff04c0d67c_b.jpg

45625291411_aedaed419c_b.jpg

45574670632_eedd93a27d_b.jpg

45625270441_939d0f0b25_b.jpg

Excellent photos. Could you please share some technical details as to focal lengths used, shutter speed (I am amazed by the frozen airplane and the moving propeller), autofocus or manual (I guess, auto) etc?

How do you coordinate with the other pilot in terms of positioning? What's your collision avoidance plan in terms either of you feel that you are getting too close? And who's flying your airplane while you're shooting?

I apologize for all the questions but as a photographer (and a newly minted pilot), I am amazed by the pictures and I am all curious now.

Excellent photos. Could you please share some technical details as to focal lengths used, shutter speed (I am amazed by the frozen airplane and the moving propeller), autofocus or manual (I guess, auto) etc?

How do you coordinate with the other pilot in terms of positioning? What's your collision avoidance plan in terms either of you feel that you are getting too close? And who's flying your airplane while you're shooting?

I apologize for all the questions but as a photographer (and a newly minted pilot), I am amazed by the pictures and I am all curious now.
I use a 70-200 lens, shutter priority, usually 1/60 or 1/80 of a second. It just takes a very steady hand, I don't use gyros. We're close, but not too close. You can read on my briefing page how I handle a lot of communication, but basically I'm either giving them direction or I give the photo pilot direction and he passes it on. We keep is simple with directions like 5' up, 5' down for the most part.

I have a photo pilot that is experienced in keeping us safe and he also knows how to line me up on ground features he knows I want, like bridges for example. Both pilots have the option of calling off the shoot at any time. Most of the time the subject plane will be on my right. Photo plane breaks off to the left, subject plane breaks to the right.

Thanks @Lowflynjack. If I were to guess, I would have said probably 500 mm, with a very sharp aperture like f/4 and at least 1/250. You do have a steady hand, shooting those photos at 1/60 or 1/80.

What I really like is the positioning into the light, and the perfect time of the day to capture that light.

Thanks again for the details.

Thanks @Lowflynjack. If I were to guess, I would have said probably 500 mm, with a very sharp aperture like f/4 and at least 1/250. You do have a steady hand, shooting those photos at 1/60 or 1/80.

What I really like is the positioning into the light, and the perfect time of the day to capture that light.

Thanks again for the details.
I actually need to update my signature. Now using a Canon 1DX ii camera and the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS ii is an amazingly sharp lens. It takes 1/80 to get the full prop circle in most planes.

I don't think Jack has EVER taken a bad picture ... everything I've seen is awesome.

Nice airplane and as always nice pictures.

Are you doing a calendar again? I’m almost out of pages in the 2018 edition.

Fantstic as always Jack. I like them all but the second to last is my favorite. I’ve never seen a shot like that and it turned out great!

Gary

Nice airplane and as always nice pictures.
Thank you!

Are you doing a calendar again? I’m almost out of pages in the 2018 edition.
I am. I've got to get working on it, but this may be the first year I really have trouble pick the 12 photos I want to use. Shooting too many planes these days!

Fantstic as always Jack. I like them all but the second to last is my favorite. I’ve never seen a shot like that and it turned out great!

Gary
Thank Gary. I was done with the shoot and we all landed, but Molly wasn't done yet! She was doing a few low passes and I wanted to try out the low-light capabilities of my new camera and shot well beyond my comfort level!

Back