Air-to-Air Cessna 182

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
First, let me say this is painful posting photos without @timwinters in them! Tim, when you make it down to Austin, @Travis L and I want to do a photo shoot with you and him in the plane.

This is the gorgeous 182 that Travis just bought from Tim. Travis and his daughter Mikayla joined us in the air over Hearne, TX yesterday evening for a photo shoot. Such a beautiful plane and Travis is now an experienced photo subject for me, so it went very well.

For you photographers out there, I normally shoot handheld 1/80 with no gyros, which some people will say can't be done. Well today I made a big mistake. I thought when I turned the power on to the camera and had it in the locked position. It wasn't locked and somehow I dialed the shutter speed down to 1/60! And before the shoot was over, I was down to 1/50! I was panicked and thought there was no way my photos would come out... I was amazed to find sharp photos. Now I'll customize my camera to make sure that never happens again. I'm a lucky guy!

49915357657_a5b38cd353_b.jpg

49915058861_21749ab370_b.jpg

49915355832_956fbf4b5d_b.jpg

49914544768_aa68eb4487_b.jpg

49915351822_dac533b4d2_b.jpg

49914539963_37e0d1ac9e_b.jpg

49915349632_83174fc91a_b.jpg

49915049896_5a4d6ac28c_b.jpg

49914536038_94dbf48a68_b.jpg

Blown away! Who knew the 182 was such a looker? Truly exceptional photos of a beautiful plane. Thanks for making my day!

Thank you @Lowflynjack for the photoshoot and the amazing photos. Mikayla talked about how much she enjoyed the time and the photoshoot all evening yesterday and how much fun it was. I agree with her, it was an awesome evening.

And yes, when @timwinters gets down here, we'll have to do a repeat.

As always great shots Jack! When I finally bite the bullet and buy a plane I might just have to swing through Texas and schedule some time with you.

As always great shots Jack! When I finally bite the bullet and buy a plane I might just have to swing through Texas and schedule some time with you.
You never know where you'll find me! May be planning a trip in the near future like I did last year. People are a little more worried about spending money with everything going on though.

@timwinters - If the weather is bad here this weekend, that belly will be clean by Sunday! ;)

I do have my daughter trained to help with the bug removal now though. She gets the lower parts while I get the cowling and leading edges of the wings. Makes post-flight clean up go way faster! :p

@Travis L & @Lowflynjack

What's funny is that, just this morning, as I was drinking my first cup of coffee and surfing the internet on the iPad, I got to wondering if Travis was flying much. So I checked FlightAware.

I saw last night's flight track and wondered WTF he was doing! :)

Last edited:
I posted in a previous thread Jack is the Chuck Norris of aerial photos ... next set he'll say he slipped, nearly fell out the door of the plane and noticed his finger fired off over 250 frames in several milliseconds resulting in the first complete aerial photo shoot in 1.2 seconds;):)

I posted in a previous thread Jack is the Chuck Norris of aerial photos ... next set he'll say he slipped, nearly fell out the door of the plane and noticed his finger fired off over 250 frames in several milliseconds resulting in the first complete aerial photo shoot in 1.2 seconds;):)
LOL. I don't know about all of that, but I sure hate it when I screw up... luckily this one came out good!

I’m impressed, getting great shots at 1/60 and 1/50 in a moving aircraft. I have trouble getting clean shots at 1/80 on the ground. Curious, What glass do you normally use for a2a work.

I’m impressed, getting great shots at 1/60 and 1/50 in a moving aircraft. I have trouble getting clean shots at 1/80 on the ground. Curious, What glass do you normally use for a2a work.
It surprised me as well!

Usually the 70-200 in my signature.

Great photos and beautiful straight-tail 182! I'm thinking it's a 1959 182B? I used to own a 1957 182A.

Very nice photos, Jack. I especially like this one, taken over the river and railroad bridge. She's a good looking old gal.

49915349632_83174fc91a_b.jpg

Wow! It sure has some clear glas! I thought the pics were shot through an open window.
They look like tinted windows to me. I'd imagine Jack shoots through an open window to avoid reflections and color cast.

I wish my airplane's windows weren't tinted. Color correcting takes most of my time in post.

I never shoot through glass. Either open window or door removed!
How'd you do it in the 182? Did you have one of those photo-ports installed in the rear-side window? Or did you release the front seat window so that it could be flipped all the way up?

They look like tinted windows to me. I'd imagine Jack shoots through an open window to avoid reflections and color cast.

I wish my airplane's windows weren't tinted. Color correcting takes most of my time in post.
Greg Brown shoots through glas then has to color correct. He'll put the white strut in the corner of the image and use that to white balance. Still, nothing better than air.

How'd you do it in the 182? Did you have one of those photo-ports installed in the rear-side window? Or did you release the front seat window so that it could be flipped all the way up?
I just remove one screw on the arm that holds the window from opening all the way. The window floats under the wing.

Only 200 on a full frame gets the planes that sharp and that close? Doesn't seem like quite enough, but it obviously is.
Yep. It’s the longest lens I have. Many air-to-air photographers use the same setup I do. The Canon 70-200 lenses are often regarded as the sharpest zoom lenses available.

I just remove one screw on the arm that holds the window from opening all the way. The window floats under the wing.
I did this regularly on my plane also. I used to fly over some of my larger job sites and get construction update photos from the air...some owners just loved it! The slip stream usually...maybe always...held the window tight to the bottom of the wing. I'd stick a few clear rubber bumpers to the bottom-outside of the window frame to cushion both surfaces.

BTW...the baggage door organizer...(yes, it's called a "baggage door", not a "cargo door" as the writer of the article refers to it...but I digress)...the baggage door organizer's oil pockets HAD elastic at the top...you can probably envision this since the top of the pocket is pleated...well...the dipchit who made the organizer apparently didn't test fit oil quarts before he sent them out the door because the pockets were so tight that the the oil didn't fit!

So I cut the elastic. Hence the sloppy look. But I never had one come out!

Back