Air National Guard with Asthma?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Asking for a friend - is there any chance of getting into the ANG with asthma?

I know for a long time there was the rule that if you didn't have any symptoms from the time you were 13 then you could get a waiver (I don't really believe anyone just becomes "healed" from asthma so not sure how that works). He uses a preventative inhaler once in the morning and once at night.

I suppose his best option is to just talk to a recruiter and see what they say. I think his chances are slim to none, sadly. There are a million threads on this all over the internet and the consensus seems to be you won't make it in.

Thanks.

New changes in the last few years. Disqualifying but waiverable. Also, medical standards vary with some MOSs. Aviation flight physical is far more restrictive than just a MEPS enlistment physical. In the case of Asthma however, I believe they still allow it before the age of 13 for a Class 1.

https://www.thebalance.com/new-asthma-and-add-adhd-policy-3353970

New changes in the last few years. Disqualifying but waiverable. Also, medical standards vary with some MOSs. Aviation flight physical is far more restrictive than just a MEPS enlistment physical. In the case of Asthma however, I believe they still allow it before the age of 13 for a Class 1.

https://www.thebalance.com/new-asthma-and-add-adhd-policy-3353970

Thanks I saw an article similar to that. So definitely no flying for him, but maybe other options.

Thanks I saw an article similar to that. So definitely no flying for him, but maybe other options.

Well, it might be waiverable for aviation as well. He'd have to get in the AF regs to see. I believe it's waiverable to fly in the Army with the appropriate tests / paperwork. Not sure how much a waived medical condition would hurt his chances in getting picked up in a flight slot though.

Years ago in the Army when they had 30 % acceptance boards, the board president would automatically give a directive that they weren't taking anyone with medical or moral waivers on this board. Now a days, if you have 9 fingers and a heartbeat they'll take ya. :D They're well undermanned in the Black Hawk community in particular. "Rotor to regional" program isn't helping matters.

Well, it might be waiverable for aviation as well. He'd have to get in the AF regs to see. I believe it's waiverable to fly in the Army with the appropriate tests / paperwork. Not sure how much a waived medical condition would hurt his chances in getting picked up in a flight slot though.

Years ago in the Army when they had 30 % acceptance boards, the board president would automatically give a directive that they weren't taking anyone with medical or moral waivers on this board. Now a days, if you have 9 fingers and a heartbeat they'll take ya. :D They're well undermanned in the Black Hawk community in particular. "Rotor to regional" program isn't helping matters.

Interesting. I have asthma myself and never even gave military a second thought because I figured I would be denied quickly. It is a choice I would have liked to of made a few years ago if I was going to give it a shot.

In 2005 I was medically separted for mild intermittent Asthma from AD Air Force. My PCM now swears I don't have it. But at any rate my military career abruptly stopped after 8 years. So...not sure now a days.

Don't want to revive an old thread but I have first hand knowledge of this sort of thing.

1. I am in the Air National Guard
2. I have asthma
3. I have a USAF flying class 1A (Navigator)
4. I have a waiver for both military service and my flight physical

All things are waiverable both with the FAA and the ANG/USAF. Its more work on the part of the recruiter/medical staff and they may be on the fence about "wasting their time" when the ANG has qualified folks with no medical issues knocking down their door, but its possible. Just be persistent and don't give up. If they give you a hard time about a medical condition not being waiverable or being a disqualifier, ask what AFI (Air Force Instruction)

Don't want to revive an old thread but I have first hand knowledge of this sort of thing.

1. I am in the Air National Guard
2. I have asthma
3. I have a USAF flying class 1A (Navigator)
4. I have a waiver for both military service and my flight physical

All things are waiverable both with the FAA and the ANG/USAF. Its more work on the part of the recruiter/medical staff and they may be on the fence about "wasting their time" when the ANG has qualified folks with no medical issues knocking down their door, but its possible. Just be persistent and don't give up. If they give you a hard time about a medical condition not being waiverable or being a disqualifier, ask what AFI (Air Force Instruction)

I appreciate the feedback. Do you take medication for your asthma?

Truthfully, I put a lot of thought into the possibility of joining ANG, but at this point in time I think the civilian route is likely the better option for me for various reasons. Obviously a pilot slot is incredibly competitive and requires a huge amount of commitment and time. No doubt it would be a gig of a lifetime.

I appreciate the feedback. Do you take medication for your asthma?

Truthfully, I put a lot of thought into the possibility of joining ANG, but at this point in time I think the civilian route is likely the better option for me for various reasons. Obviously a pilot slot is incredibly competitive and requires a huge amount of commitment and time. No doubt it would be a gig of a lifetime.

Yes, I take a daily inhaled steroid as maintenance (Dulera, I think?) and have a rescue inhaler that is used as needed (not often). The process was long for the waiver with multiple tests and Appoitments over the course of a year of waiting.

I understand completely. Military flight training is extremely competitive to get into, depending on location and aircraft. I was able to squeeze in a Navigator position due to my time as an enlisted Loadmaster in the unit I was applying for so I had an "in" and was home grown. Outsider civilians typically have ALOT of hours or a dad or uncle that was in the unit back in the day.

Best of luck!

Yes, I take a daily inhaled steroid as maintenance (Dulera, I think?) and have a rescue inhaler that is used as needed (not often). The process was long for the waiver with multiple tests and Appoitments over the course of a year of waiting.

I understand completely. Military flight training is extremely competitive to get into, depending on location and aircraft. I was able to squeeze in a Navigator position due to my time as an enlisted Loadmaster in the unit I was applying for so I had an "in" and was home grown. Outsider civilians typically have ALOT of hours or a dad or uncle that was in the unit back in the day.

Best of luck!

Interesting...I take Dulera as well. Unfortunately the two units here don't open pilot slots to civilians - you have to be in the unit already like you said. There are others out of state that are open to civilians. If I was single and had nothing to lose I might decide to chase after it, but in this case I think I am probably better suited to go the civilian route.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated and best of luck in your Navigator position - that is very cool.

Interesting...I take Dulera as well. Unfortunately the two units here don't open pilot slots to civilians - you have to be in the unit already like you said. There are others out of state that are open to civilians. If I was single and had nothing to lose I might decide to chase after it, but in this case I think I am probably better suited to go the civilian route.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated and best of luck in your Navigator position - that is very cool.

Understandable. I've seen guys move all over the country for a coveted AF Pilot slot.

FYI, Navigators are quickly being replaced by Garmin and other cool, shiny things that makes Pilot's jobs easier. My unit is transitioning from legacy C-130H models to C-17's and I am now an Intel Officer.

Best of luck!

Understandable. I've seen guys move all over the country for a coveted AF Pilot slot.

FYI, Navigators are quickly being replaced by Garmin and other cool, shiny things that makes Pilot's jobs easier. My unit is transitioning from legacy C-130H models to C-17's and I am now an Intel Officer.

Best of luck!

I will always envy the guys flying fighters (or helicopters, or heavys). I have never thought about anything military because of my asthma, but maybe I should have given it more consideration in the past. I feel somewhat at ease about my decisions thus far though.

Correct me if I am wrong...but it seems like it would be highly unlikely to get a pilot slot with asthma? Is a navigator considered a pilot slot?

Correct me if I am wrong...but it seems like it would be highly unlikely to get a pilot slot with asthma? Is a navigator considered a pilot slot?

Units that have both Pilots and Navigators on their aircraft often times have a combo flying hiring board. Similar to what you likely experienced or looked into, units get (way) more applicants than slots they are hiring for. Often times, in my experience, guys with little to no flight time are offered Nav slots and the high time guys end up with Pilot slots. This is not always the case, I've seen the reverse too, as the ANG/AFRC typically hires on the "whole person" concept. Remember, they are hiring guys they may end up flying with/drinking beer with/raising their kids together for the next 20 to 30 years. They want to make sure they can stand you AND you have the tools to be a good aviator.

Regarding the physical, the initial flight physical for Pilots and Navs is virtually the same. Pilots get a USAF Flying Class 1 and Navs get a USAF Flying Class 1A. The pilot physical has a few extra steps but its about the same. Both positions are "Rated Officers" in the eyes of the AF and have the same disqualifying conditions and follow the same waiver process.

You should feel at ease. The AF has changed a lot since I joined in 2000, 17 years ago. I spend more time filling out travel vouchers and sitting through sexual assault training than I do flying/supporting flying. July 7th, 2020 (retirement eligible) couldn't come soon enough....

Units that have both Pilots and Navigators on their aircraft often times have a combo flying hiring board. Similar to what you likely experienced or looked into, units get (way) more applicants than slots they are hiring for. Often times, in my experience, guys with little to no flight time are offered Nav slots and the high time guys end up with Pilot slots. This is not always the case, I've seen the reverse too, as the ANG/AFRC typically hires on the "whole person" concept. Remember, they are hiring guys they may end up flying with/drinking beer with/raising their kids together for the next 20 to 30 years. They want to make sure they can stand you AND you have the tools to be a good aviator.

Regarding the physical, the initial flight physical for Pilots and Navs is virtually the same. Pilots get a USAF Flying Class 1 and Navs get a USAF Flying Class 1A. The pilot physical has a few extra steps but its about the same. Both positions are "Rated Officers" in the eyes of the AF and have the same disqualifying conditions and follow the same waiver process.

You should feel at ease. The AF has changed a lot since I joined in 2000, 17 years ago. I spend more time filling out travel vouchers and sitting through sexual assault training than I do flying/supporting flying. July 7th, 2020 (retirement eligible) couldn't come soon enough....

Ahh I gotcha - thanks for the explanation. I have quite a few friends who were in engineering school with me that did Air Force ROTC. All are pilots in training right now. One just got assigned B52s...pretty sweet.

It is sort of a curious "what if" situation with me...not an easy decision to make I guess. A part of me thinks about giving it a shot and the other says, "well maybe the civilian flying route will be a little easier on the personal life". If I was to stay here in AZ I would have to join one of the units and then later apply to a board since they don't higher outside civilians. It just seems like a lot of unknowns, whereas the civilian route I have a pretty clear idea of what exactly I would do. And who knows what could happen with the waiver process regarding the asthma - seems like another box of worms. Not trying to be negative but trying to be realistic about it.

These are just my thoughts...I could be full of BS. lol

Dont stress it. Keep flying and pursue the civilian route.

Your ROTC buddies will be calling you in 7 or 8 years asking if you will sponsor them at the airlines as an FO, while you are already in the left seat.

Dont stress it. Keep flying and pursue the civilian route.

Your ROTC buddies will be calling you in 7 or 8 years asking if you will sponsor them at the airlines as an FO, while you are already in the left seat.

Hahaha they will be buzzing me in F16s...

Well anyways I appreciate the conversation - it has been useful.

Hahaha they will be buzzing me in F16s...

Well anyways I appreciate the conversation - it has been useful.

They will be buzzing you now. They will be slinging your gear and making your radio calls in 10 years.

Regardless of your decisions, best of luck to you too!

I spend more time filling out travel vouchers and sitting through sexual assault training than I do flying/supporting flying. July 7th, 2020 (retirement eligible) couldn't come soon enough....
They train you how to sexually assault folks?

You have to go to the Air Force Academy for that sort of training

Yep, I remember the SERE fiasco. Adding sexual assault resistance to the curriculum combined with cadets as cadre. That was a disaster waiting to happen. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back