Air Force Question

U

Unregistered

I'm thinking of going in to the Air Force one day but I have two blocked Vertebra in my Neck and minor Scoliosis in my back, and my Far vision did not meet Class 3 medical requirements (but I passed).
Is that enough to keep me out of the Air Force??

JOOC, how can you pass a Class 3 medical if your vision doesn't meet requirements?

IDK, Thats what the nurse told me, and she talked to the doc and he said nothing about it to me when he came in, so I could not have done to bad. lol

JOOC, how can you pass a Class 3 medical if your vision doesn't meet requirements?

IDK, Thats what the nurse told me, and she talked to the doc and he said nothing about it to me when he came in, so I could not have done to bad. lol
Difference between nurse and doctor? She may have been unaware that there are different vision standards for different classes of medical.

Difference between nurse and doctor? She may have been unaware that there are different vision standards for different classes of medical.
Entierly possible -- Third Class requires only 20/40 corrected, while First/Second requires 20/20. That said, if you're not correctable to 20/20, you will not be an aircrewmember in the USAF (pilot or otherwise).

Or maybe the "pass" was with correction (all that's required) and the "failure" was an attempt without correction.

Was the original poster talking about being an Air Force Pilot or just joining the Air Force?

Nothing I see here specifically would disqualify him from joining the Air Force. The spine problems certainly sound waiverable, and depending on the vision issues he certainly sounds like he would qualify. Flying status might be another issue.

If the OP wants to check, the guidance is in the Air Force Instruction:

AFI48-123, attachment 3. My review does not show anything that would keep the original poster from joining the AF. I suggest you reconnect with your recruiter- a thorough history and physical by a military physician will ultimately determine your eligibility.

Good Luck!
JN
Senior Flight Surgeon, USAF

Last edited:
vision standards for initial pilot screening are no longer 20/20. The guidance again is in the AFI48-123. There are a number of DQ conditions regarding vision, but without wading through the docs I think it is no worse than 20/40 uncorrected.

The AF is also granting some waivers for people with prior PRK for flying status.

vision standards for initial pilot screening are no longer 20/20. The guidance again is in the AFI48-123. There are a number of DQ conditions regarding vision, but without wading through the docs I think it is no worse than 20/40 uncorrected.

The AF is also granting some waivers for people with prior PRK for flying status.

I think I read they were allowing lasik now.

It'll be about his spine. Right now they're now wantful enough to accept scoliosis; if it's really really minor they might not notice.

"Blocked vertebra in the neck?" I have to see an x-ray......

Lasik is waiverable for enlistment, and PRK is waiverable for flyers.

Nothing noted in the OP's statement that would preclude enlistment or accession as a flyer. Of course, more might come out on his enlistment physical, but again nothing stated would preclude enlistment (including the scoliosis)

Re the Lasik, I think as an active flyer it can be done just not if you are an ejection seat kind of guy due to the airstream blowing the cut lens flapping around in the event of an ejection. Or so I've been told. But of course that would be DQ'ing for an applicant due to the fact all primary trainers the USAF uses have ejection seats.

Last edited:
Re the Lasik, I think as an active flyer it can be done just not if you are an ejection seat kind of guy due to the airstream blowing the cut lens flapping around in the event of an ejection. Or so I've been told. But of course that would be DQ'ing for an applicant due to the fact all primary trainers the USAF uses have ejection seats.

I think that is an OWT.. scars are stronger than the surrounding tissue, and once the "flap" heals.. its healed.. we are taking days to weeks here.

I am medically retired. Walking is a big thing for me these days. But before I was injured in the line of duty, no problem. BTW the Army always had the lowest requirements of all of the services to get is. Sorry that is just the facts.

Thats funny, because I was originally told that I could not get into the Army without a waiver because of some of the concussions I had from playing football in high school.

The Air Force told me that there was no need for such waivers.

Both now think I am a recovering heroin addict to get them to stop calling me.

When it comes to eye surgery, don't guess. Some methods are OK, others are permanently disqualifying, and it varies between services. Check with your recruiter, and get it in writing signed by someone from the medical corps, not just some NCO in the recruiting station.

Also, even when they take someone with less than 20/20 uncorrected, it must still be correctable to 20/20. However, I believe that such waivers are (or were) limited to folks in whom they already have an investment and from whom they've already had proven performance, like Academy grads. Again, get it in writing before you sign on the dotted line.

Last edited:
When it comes to eye surgery, don't guess. Some methods are OK, others are permanently disqualifying, and it varies between services. Check with your recruiter, and get it in writing signed by someone from the medical corps, not just some NCO in the recruiting station.
Used to be that RK was diqualifing in the USAF for all flight status jobs. I am not sure what the current requirements are. We did have one crew guy who did not realize that and got the surgery. Can you say general discharge?

He was also on PRP and went to a civilian doctor to get it done without permission. On his return from leave he told people what he had done, was sent to the flight surgeon who confirmed the surgery. Commander article 15'ed him and discharged him. dum, dum, dum, dumbbbb!!

Here's the quote from the AFI48-123 regarding corrective surgery.

However, PRK may be waiverable for flying status, but as of now, lasik is not.

A4.7.3.6. History of refractive surgery of any type, to include RK or any other surgical or laser
procedures, intraocular contact lenses, or corneal implants (INTACS), accomplished to modify
the refractive power of the cornea or for any other reason, such as phototherapeutic keratectomy
(PTK). Certain corneal refractive surgery procedures, including LASIK (P11.7) or PRK (P11.7),
and laser epithelial keratomileusis (LASEK) (P11.7) are also disqualifying for entry to the Air
Force and certain occupations (i.e. flying or other special duty positions).

I's say the best bet would be to download a copy of the AFI48-123, which are the medical standards for both enlistment as well as flying status, and then take a copy to your doctor and see if you meet the criteria or not. It would actually be easier and cheaper to do the initial recruiter paperwork and then go through the screening physical at a MEPS, which the recruiter would arrange. If you make it- great, if not, you could always join the Army.

Also, even when they take someone with less than 20/20 uncorrected, it must still be correctable to 20/20. However, I believe that such waivers are (or were) limited to folks in whom they already have an investment and from whom they've already had proven performance, like Academy grads. Again, get it in writing before you sign on the dotted line.

I did just this when I enlisted in the CG - got a guarantee of an aviation A school in either Aviation Survival or Aviation Electronics. 6th week of boot camp, I get called in. Essentially, "The regs have changed again, and we can't honor your contract. If you wish to leave, you can be on a bus/plane home tomorrow morning". I chose to stay, went into surface stuff for a bit, ended up doing computers for the group and air station anyway, and when the rules changed again, I got aircrew qualified.

Having it in writing preserved my options. As we used to sing in boot camp:

"My recruiter told me a lie!
Join the Coast Guard, learn to fly!
Signed my name on the dotted line...
Now all I do is double time!"

Having something in writing means little these days- the phrase is "the needs of the military",which can void any previous agreement.

An enlistment contract is a CONTRACT, and binds both parties. Read it carefully. If you don't like the weasel words (YES the deal is stacked in favor of the military), don't sign up.

(I had my two year original enlistment involuntarily extended for Desert Storm. I didn't mind, but wasn't given an option).

Would it be any easier to get in to the Air National Guard with my back, neck, and eye problems??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back