Air Force options

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
I just had a meeting with a commander at a local ANG wing to discuss my options upon graduating from college. I was hoping to make some sense of the whole process but left with just as many questions as I had answered. The way I understood it, my best bet of getting a flying slot would be to go active duty considering the pending pilot shortage. It sounded as if the ANG slots were near impossible to get (even though he said they weren't) due to the fact that they usually go to prior active duty or ANG enlisted. I think the commander was suggesting that the best way to go about it is to apply for any ANG openings that I find (regardless of location) and if none of those work out, to apply for a slot at OTS and UPT for active duty Air Force. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know I have brought up these questions before but I feel like I have hit a snag because I really don't know what the next step for me should be. Thanks.

It has been a long time since I was in the Air Force(non flying non aviation position), but it may not hurt to call or meet with a recruiter and see what they say. Just remember that often the promises they give you are very different from the reality they deliver.

Go Navy.

Seriously, I know AF pilots and USN pilots. Hands down Navy guys are more fun to fly with, have better stories, and arn't warped by trying to 'fly the book'. Instead they fly the plane. Worlds of difference IMO.

Most potential USAF pilots think about becoming a pilot too late. Where do USAF pilots come from. The USAF prefers pilots to come from the AFA. If there are not enough from this source, they prefer AFROTC cadets. If there are still not enough to fill their needs, they open OTS. The ANG has a slot or two each year to keep their rank structure from being too top heavy with ex active duty pilots.
At one time there was a Top Line program where the Air Force goal was to have 2000 pilot graduate UPT. 1/2 would get out at the first opportunity, and 1/2 of the remainder would leave at the first opportunity to retire leaving 300 to continue. During war years OTS is opened and as many as 6500 pilots graduated UPT. After a war ends, there is a draw down so the class can drop to 1000 mostly from AFA and none from OTS. So you can see there is quite a bit of luck involved.
I was in the 6500 year group during Vietnam. Drafted out of Law School. Got draft notice canceled so I could join the USAF and go to OTS in the pilot pipeline to Vietnam.
Just luck not sure it it was good or bad.

Both the airforce and navy prefer to have trained pilots before they enter the service.That way they can give training specific training in the type aircraft that they have a need .

Both the airforce and navy prefer to have trained pilots before they enter the service.That way they can give training specific training in the type aircraft that they have a need .

I don't know where you got that information.

If you have a civil rating before joining the Air Force, you may avoid the prelim screening program at Pueblo CO.

If you don't have a civilian rating before signing on with the Air Force for a pilot slot, expect to go to Pueblo first, then to UPT. A lot of potential pilots get filtered out of the system at Pueblo, I think they just changed from DA-40s to SR-20 or 22s.

All pilot candidates at UPT go through the same initial course, I believe they are flying T-6 Texans now, and then go to either the fighter or heavy/transport track.

All pilot candidates at UPT go through the same initial course, I believe they are flying T-6 Texans now, and then go to either the fighter or heavy/transport track.

Yup, AF initial is T-6 Texan II A model and the Navy uses the B model. then off to fighter or heavy track. I actually work on the T-6 simulators at a UPT base and see all types coming through. Actually most seem to come from ROTC to be honest.

I heard from two different Officers at this interview that there was going to be an active duty pilot shortage in the coming years, is this true? And if so, does this mean that the OTS slots will start to open up?

Yup, AF initial is T-6 Texan II A model and the Navy uses the B model. then off to fighter or heavy track. I actually work on the T-6 simulators at a UPT base and see all types coming through. Actually most seem to come from ROTC to be honest.

Yeah buddy, flew the sim at moody afb. Good fun.

I have heard from some ANG guys that they like to hire from within and that enlisting is the way to go. I don't really want to enlist without somewhat of a guarantee of a pilot slot. I do know a couple people who sent in their pilot packages to some units (without enlisting, both are CFIs). Not sure exactly what stage their in in the interview process though.

Both the airforce and navy prefer to have trained pilots before they enter the service.

I knew a USAFA IP. He said he'd rather rub his face in poison ivy than get into a T-41 with someone who had a pilot's license, the sole exception being someone whose rating was in gliders.

The AF wants to train pilots to be AF pilots, and want to do it from scratch. Their program is designed to produce pilots from non-pilots.

Go Navy.

Seriously, I know AF pilots and USN pilots. Hands down Navy guys are more fun to fly with, have better stories, and arn't warped by trying to 'fly the book'. Instead they fly the plane. Worlds of difference IMO.
Can you say any of their names or are they all top secret?

I have heard from some ANG guys that they like to hire from within and that enlisting is the way to go. I don't really want to enlist without somewhat of a guarantee of a pilot slot. I do know a couple people who sent in their pilot packages to some units (without enlisting, both are CFIs). Not sure exactly what stage their in in the interview process though.

I'm in an ANG unit and I don't necessarily think you need to enlist just to get a slot. If you want to start serving, that's a different story. We just hired a few guys and all but one were civilians off the street. Definitely shop around to see what you find. The good news about the ANG is that you know what you should be flying when you graduate, the bad news is that ANG units do occasionally close or change missions. I was AD for 12 years btw- ROTC.

Go to www.flyingsquadron.com and start reading. Don't forget to UTFSF!

I'm in an ANG unit and I don't necessarily think you need to enlist just to get a slot. If you want to start serving, that's a different story. We just hired a few guys and all but one were civilians off the street. Definitely shop around to see what you find. The good news about the ANG is that you know what you should be flying when you graduate, the bad news is that ANG units do occasionally close or change missions. I was AD for 12 years btw- ROTC.

Go to www.flyingsquadron.com and start reading. Don't forget to UTFSF!

Hey Evil how will your retirement work going to the ANG? Can you still retire at 20 with them or do you have to stay longer now that you're Guard?

26 years in the Guard next month 23 years Technician that is the civilian side. I have seen guys come in as crew chiefs and become pilots several times if that is what you want to do. Are you aware of the full time civilian jobs?

Your best bet of flying is in the Army and your best bet of captaining a boat is in the Army.

I just had a meeting with a commander at a local ANG wing to discuss my options upon graduating from college. I was hoping to make some sense of the whole process but left with just as many questions as I had answered. The way I understood it, my best bet of getting a flying slot would be to go active duty considering the pending pilot shortage. It sounded as if the ANG slots were near impossible to get (even though he said they weren't) due to the fact that they usually go to prior active duty or ANG enlisted. I think the commander was suggesting that the best way to go about it is to apply for any ANG openings that I find (regardless of location) and if none of those work out, to apply for a slot at OTS and UPT for active duty Air Force. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know I have brought up these questions before but I feel like I have hit a snag because I really don't know what the next step for me should be. Thanks.

Hey Evil how will your retirement work going to the ANG? Can you still retire at 20 with them or do you have to stay longer now that you're Guard?

I'm Active Guard/Reserve (AGR), so my retirement is exactly the same as Active Duty. I am also on the pilot bonus. There are other options but if you come in and stay AGR is just like AD without all the AD pain.

..... considering the pending pilot shortage..

Yeah, the pilot shortage eh???

I think that pilot shortage lives in the same magical candyland as the unicorn and jackalope.

unicor1.jpg

BTW, I have I have prime swampland in Florida to sell you if you're interested!

Back