Air Force Buys 18,000 iPads for flight crew use

This represents a fundamental difference between AF and Navy acquisition.

When I was a newly commisioned ENS, the Navy bought a whole ****load of Palm Pilots when they were brand new and every officer was issued one.......then, we figured out that the software was not approved for use with out shipboard networks not to mention that the damn things were not a secure medium. So they just sat there and hardly got any use. I think I still have mine buried somewhere.....

The chair force on the other hand waits until a product is well developed and being used extensively in the commercial world before they commit to buying it. At least someone in the DoD is thinking.

I suppose the Air Force figured that since they were about to serious slash the AMC fleet to the bone that they could afford to outfit what's left with EFBs.

We had a similar item issued to us being a medic in the Army. We got palm pilots loaded with a software to "assist" us in doing patient records for sick call and also for casualty treatment. The idea was that every soldier was to have their own CF card , and when we treated them , we would update the data with new treatments , vitals etc. In the aid stations , it would be loaded onto a laptop that was networked into some sort of server that kept track of their med status.

The idea for deployment was that if we treated a casualty, and when he was passed up the echelon of care , his card would go with eliminating the paper forms etc.

It also had all the wireless defeated , but when synced up to their "network" would do what it needed to do. It was more of a PITA than it was doing paper forms and I got out before the unit deployed so I do not know how well it really worked.

Back