Air Force announces new bomber.

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/02/26/b-21-bomber-air-force-lrsb/80976160/

Its called the B21 and looks(according to given render) like the B2.

They are saying mid 2020s and 500 million per copy if they order 80-100 of them. So it will end up 2030s a billion dollars apiece and maybe 50 of them if its like any other project.

I'm sure its a fancy plane but it doesn't stir the soul like some of the old stuff IMO.

More like 2 dozen if lucky for a billion dollars

Let's see how long it takes to go from an idea to reality. Money won't be a major consideration.

Hard to see a difference between this and the B-2.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hijack the enemy's airliners and use them the way ours were used against us? They became true stealth bombers.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hijack the enemy's airliners and use them the way ours were used against us? They became true stealth bombers.
Better still just have the manufacturer write some software to hijack it remotely... Wait might be mixing up my news stories, in a scary way.

Brian

Good thing the average American citizen has so much surplus cash and our country needs nothing at home, great use of money!

More like 2 dozen if lucky for a billion dollars

...but each congressional district will have one involved supplier and it will have 3 different engines and five complete avionics setup to make sure everyone gets a cut.

I voted for it to be called the "Wraith." Though currently in use for British machines, how COOL would that be? B-21 Wraith.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see the specs since it does look an awful lot like the B-2.

We're at a point where the airplane is really just a flying platform for computers, sensors, and transmitters. When most think of airplanes they they think of the airframe, but we've evolved to where now that's only half the package. I believe this bomber will have pilots along with the option of flying semi-autonomous. As for the economics, it's going to create and sustain jobs for scientists, engineers, and information technology gurus. That technology and know-how will no doubt spawn opportunity and growth in the commercial sector. We could easily spend money on worse things.

I wonder if it will have pilots?

...but each congressional district will have one involved supplier and it will have 3 different engines and five complete avionics setup to make sure everyone gets a cut.

This right here gets things like this passed in Congress. Everyone's back gets scratched.

Back