Air Derby Aug 28 - Come join us, and win some $$$ (if you're THAT good......)

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Wanted to extend an invitation to all of my fellow POAers to join in the Chicagoland Air Derby, being held Aug 28th at DeKalb Airport - KDKB. The Derby is has been going strong for over 60 years, and is hosted by the Chicago Area Chapter of the Ninety-Nines. Details of the event are on our home page:

https://chicagoarea99s.org/Home_Page.html

This is a proficiency and spot landing contest, so it's not a matter of speed; the derby has been won by a Cessna 152 in years past.

A couple of new things this year:

1 - The race is open to ALL pilots - you don't have to be a 99 to enter, and:
2 - In addition to trophies, there are CASH prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. :yes:

Each plane does have to have a pilot and copilot, so it's a great opportunity for friends to fly as a pair, or for an instructor and student pilot who want to show just how good they are with their fuel burn and time calculations......

Hope to see you there!!

Leslie

Very cool! Sounds like it would be fun to watch, much less participate!

So, do you have to have your commercial rating to win the cash prizes? :rofl:

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm curious, though: Why isn't a commercial ticket required if there are cash prizes? Is there some sort of exemption for contests?

Just wondering.

-Rich

You are correct - the experimental issue is an insurance issue, as our organization has to purchase insurance for flying events such as this - afraid experimentals aren't covered. :sad:

And yes, an ultralight would be a much too much of an edge on the spot landing - but I like the thought.

Never received the commercial rating required question when cash is involved - does that mean that it's OK if you don't have a commercial, so long as you lose? :D

Leslie

Back