Air Compressor

This isn't a solution that will work for everyone, but as an avid SCUBA diver I've usually got a couple of SCUBA tanks in the garage that I need to have refilled. They're 'empty' for purposes of making another dive, but will generally have 500 to 1000 psi left in them. The regulator steps that down to about 130 psi, and with a tire fill adapter plugged into the BC inflator hose, you can fill a lot of tires with compressed air that would otherwise go to waste. I've also got a 5 gallon portable air tank, that I'll fill from a SCUBA tank when I want something lighter to carry around.

I do only use the air tanks for this, not the high-O2 nitrox mixes.

My situation is complicated because we have Amish hangars. No water, no light and no electricity. I am supposed to get an 18v Milwaukee cordless compressor delivered today. I had a HF generator and a nice little HF compressor, but the draw from the compressor kept on taking out the starting capacitor.

I have a lot of HF stuff, but if I were in your spot I'd be temped to get a little Honda generator. The little 2k inverter model. The quiet factor compared to normal generators is amazing. Just don't run it inside, they make the same CO that every other generator does.

I have a lot of HF stuff, but if I were in your spot I'd be temped to get a little Honda generator. The little 2k inverter model. The quiet factor compared to normal generators is amazing. Just don't run it inside, they make the same CO that every other generator does.
Yeah, and they don't take the starting load of the little HF compressor, the one with the horizontal tank. That compressor is great on house current, but will blow the starting capacitor almost every time.

Yeah, and they don't take the starting load of the little HF compressor, the one with the horizontal tank. That compressor is great on house current, but will blow the starting capacitor almost every time.
(starting breaker?). Does it start OK when the tank pressure is near zero? You may just have a wimpy power service source. If so, you need to either relieve the starting back pressure, or get a smaller compressor that doesn't load the power line so much.

No, the generator/inverter doesn't have the guts to start the air compressor. The compressor works fine on house current, but the capacitor on the compressor blows every time I turn it on. I've taken two compressors back under warranty, but that's it. The generator is rated at 2kw, but the little compressor must have more inrush current at startup.

I feel nekked without a GOOD air compressor. I prefer a good used Quincy. A little 310 is perfect. I have a mid sixties one rebranded by Gilbarco that has been in CONTINUOUS commercial service for like 18 years for me now. Think I invested 400, then 250 to have the head rebuilt (actually an easy job I do myself now for about half that).

Quincys are rated for 100 percent duty cycle (well, the good ones are, they may have some cheaper import pumps these days) and are bullet proof. Well worth the investment. All are loadless starting, so easier on portable power.

Do you have power at the hangar ?
- If yes, any of the $99 pancake compressors will do.
- If no, get a Ryobi or DeWalt with battery pack.

The one in the pix. And the strut must be fully extended. Lots of oil cartons on the tail horizontal.
I use a 50# tool box to hold down the rear of my plane.
IMG_21401.jpg

My strut only takes approx 40 PSI when all the weight is off of it.

I know this sounds like BS but, when I filled my strut with shop air it leaked out over night. I was really bummed thinking I was going to have to get into it and reseal it.
I then brought my nitrogen tank to the hangar from my race shop and it held not only over night but for almost a year. Each fall when it get's cold mine get's low and I give a little shot of nitrogen and it lasts until the next fall. Also if you keep the front strut up the front end is less likely to shimmy on hard braking.
IMG_21411.jpg

IMG_21431.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have power at the hangar ?
- If yes, any of the $99 pancake compressors will do.
- If no, get a Ryobi or DeWalt with battery pack.
I just got a Milwaukee M18 compressor. Seems pretty skookum.

I like the California Air Tools compressors - very low noise - I have one in my shop at home and in the lab at school.
My hangar, however, has my old airless ****ing obnoxious loud compressor since it gets used so seldom.
I just bought one of these based on your post. This really is a quiet air compressor! And I like that it is made in the U.S. This is for my garage and my loud compressor is in the hangar.

The one in the pix. And the strut must be fully extended. Lots of oil cartons on the tail horizontal.

Placing the weight of "lots of oil cartons" on the horizontal stabilizer seems like an exceedingly poor idea. Four cases of oil weigh about 108 lbs.

That’s what I love about POA. “What do I need to put air in my tires and strut?”

And the answer eventually becomes a 20 HP compressor with a pair of 100 gallon tanks fed by 3-phase power, with a mil-surplus 60KW generator for backup, and a refrigerated dryer…

Just in case.
And then it rolls into what's required during annual inspections and the proper way to get the nose wheel off the ground.

You can't make this stuff up.

Back