Air boss from Airnav

Penguinforce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguinforce
A pilot friend of ours told us about airboss for fuel savings. However unless I sign up I’m unable to see where or how much of a discount is actually offered by this program. Has anyone used this program and if so, is it worth it?

I used it years ago but not currently.
The negatives are that the discount does not apply at your home base airport, and it generally can't be used for self-serve. The discounts were on the order of 25 cents per gallon, maybe 50 cents rarely, so often self-serve was cheaper than full-serve with the discount.
You also have to remember to ask for the discount, and the FBO person needs to know about it and remember to give it to you. Neither of these happens every time.
The application would be if there is an FBO you visit frequently, or if you fly a lot of cross-country.
The cost is $39 per year. Their terms allow for a refund within six months of purchase, so you could try it and not lose much.
Jon

I used it years ago but not currently.
The negatives are that the discount does not apply at your home base airport, and it generally can't be used for self-serve. The discounts were on the order of 25 cents per gallon, maybe 50 cents rarely, so often self-serve was cheaper than full-serve with the discount.
You also have to remember to ask for the discount, and the FBO person needs to know about it and remember to give it to you. Neither of these happens every time.
The application would be if there is an FBO you visit frequently, or if you fly a lot of cross-country.
The cost is $39 per year. Their terms allow for a refund within six months of purchase, so you could try it and not lose much.
Jon
I somehow glanced over the six month refund part. I may just try it out to see if it can be of any worth. I was worried about it being exclusively for full serve though and we usually use self serve but I may just give it a try. Thanks for the information

I also had it. I gave up after a while. It ended up not being useful.

Unless you fly a lot of XC, it isn’t worth it.
It's still almost easier to find a cheaper price through 100LL.com or the like than hunting for someone who will give the Airboss discount. We had a field 4NM from here that had the Airboss discount, but its still cheaper to fly 19NM to the place with a cheaper self-serve pump.

It's still almost easier to find a cheaper price through 100LL.com or the like than hunting for someone who will give the Airboss discount. We had a field 4NM from here that had the Airboss discount, but its still cheaper to fly 19NM to the place with a cheaper self-serve pump.

You wouldn’t be the first guy with that plan to land and find the card reader inop.

I've found a bunch of places that say they offer Air Boss have people working who have no idea what it is.

I've found a bunch of places that say they offer Air Boss have people working who have no idea what it is.

Same here.

Often, though, I could still get the discount. Sometimes the customer service rep would just take my word for it, that I should get $0.XX per gallon discount. Other times I showed them the app on my phone, where they could see the name of the FBO and the discount amount.

You wouldn’t be the first guy with that plan to land and find the card reader inop.
Same field has more expensive fuel truck service. But i usually don't push things so close that its an issue.

Unless you fly a lot of XC, it isn’t worth it.

And in particular, if you fly repeatedly to the rare airport where there’s a combination of full-serve only and a big discount like $0.50.

I think I got a $0.50 discount just once, in Manassas Virginia. That top-off was almost enough to make a yearly membership worthwhile.

Most years I didn’t save enough to break even. The discount is most commonly at a nickel-and-dime level, and I just don’t buy enough full-serve at such airports to make it worthwhile.

Every time I've landed at a field where the self serve was inop, they have always offered full serve fuel for the self serve price.

The airports with the best prices don’t offer full serve full.
Not true. There are some airports which have full serve by truck or attended pump service cheaper than any self-serve in the area.
In my part of the country St Johns AZ SJN is one, now $3.20 FS. If I head in the other direction, Hutchinson Cty TX BGD is another, $3.40 FS. Never been there but the lowest price in the country today per Airnav is at Littlefield TX LIU attended pump service at $2.75.
Jon

Not true. There are some airports which have full serve by truck or attended pump service cheaper than any self-serve in the area.
In my part of the country St Johns AZ SJN is one, now $3.20 FS. If I head in the other direction, Hutchinson Cty TX BGD is another, $3.40 FS. Never been there but the lowest price in the country today per Airnav is at Littlefield TX LIU attended pump service at $2.75.
Jon

Look at fuel prices in other states.

Why would that be necessary? Your statement was an absolute.

Not "the airports with the best prices don't offer full serve in my state"

I was referencing nationally from the perspective of the experience of flying all over the US, not just Arizona.

Last edited:
Back