AIG bailout--email I received

Historically, there is a huge difference in earning potential with and without a college degree. That doesn't mean that everyone without is a stupid dope, one can find numerous exceptions to the trend. Similarly, not every college graduate is a paragon of the Ivory tower. The trend is there nonetheless. Note that I say historical. There are now far more people going to college, and I know I'm seeing students that would not have been in University when I was, they're actually changing how I and my colleagues teach. Still, all things being equal a University education is the best bet to being employed without competing directly with Senior Manuel Labor.

I think you should maybe have stayed in college and taken a stats course so that you would know that being in with 90% of the population is no great feat. You just lumped yourself in slightly above the Wal-Mart greaters.

Now if you were in the top 10% income bracket that would be something. :D:D:D;););)
I always hated statistics. :p

Apology accepted.

I suggest you read two very enlightening books by Dr. Thomas Stanley.
The Millionaire Next Door
The Millionaire Mind

The first book takes a look at the lifestyle of the average millionaire, with hard statistics to back up the assertions. Interestingly enough, the average millionaire is not a big spender. The second book is more of the same but looks more at attitudes and beliefs.

Generally speaking, the safe bet is that the guy who *LOOKS* like a millionaire only looks it, but isn't actually one.

I used to run a boat for an old guy, old 1927 92' Geary M/Y, not your typical superyacht, the old guy, outside of being clean, you would have thought he was a homeless leprichaun, turns out he invented the LED & LCD displays and was worth a few Billion. Good old guy, his wife was the cook on the boat for everyone.

I think now I know why so many non college educated Americans absolutely cannot stand, and do not respect, those who did go to college. There are a few elitist snobs that ruin it for the rest.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

All right MC, I guess you'd better suspend me now too. :mad:

I'm guessing that the adults in Rubberchicken's life have been using the line that a college degree is essential for success in order to get him or her to attend.

Yes, however for the career I'm planning on going into (engineering) a college degree is almost required now, so its not a matter of if but where.

And I think there is a copy of "The Millionaire Mind" on one of our bookshelves. That is going on the to read list along with "Atlas Shrugged"

That is going on the to read list along with "Atlas Shrugged"

I read that book a couple of years ago. Its on the pile of books to donate to the local library. Want it???? I also have two of her other books, "The Fountainhead" and "Anthem", also destined for the library unless you want them.

Dee

I read that book a couple of years ago. Its on the pile of books to donate to the local library. Want it???? I also have two of her other books, "The Fountainhead" and "Anthem", also destined for the library unless you want them.

Dee

I would say yes, but I know for a fact we have a copy of all three of those on a book shelf.

We're giving this child entirely too much merit by responding to his (or her? I'm presuming his) posts.

I will leave my comments as such: College was great for me in terms of its benefits. It's not great for everyone. If, at your wise old age of whatever it is that's roughly half my age, you have learned so much about the world, then one of the things that you should have learned is that opinions like those you've stated here are best kept to yourself. You'll also have learned that you don't know jack, and the best thing you can do in your current position in life is to ask questions with humility and absorb information from those who know more from you. All of us happen to fall into that category.

Wait another 50 years and then maybe you can be an authority on something. In 10 years, people may confuse you for someone who knows what he's talking about. Until then, stop wasting our time. We do not need some punk kid who thinks he knows so much about the world telling us what we need to do. Believe me, kid, you haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there. How do I know? Because I haven't even scratched it with roughly twice the years of experience that you have. I just now have gained enough perspective to realize it.

I have far more respect for Kent, Jesse, Nick, Greebo, etc. (those who didn't go to college) than a number of my classmates from where I went to college, many of whom haven't actually worked a day in their lives. Yes, they have jobs. In some years maybe you'll understand the difference between a job and work.

Oh to be a teenager and know everything... :rolleyes:

I do have a bit more to add to the thread-creep-generated new topic, and it is in the nature of educating our young protege, rather than chastising him.

I own a reasonably successful law firm, five lawyers and growing, and each of us there had to get an undergraduate degree, and attend three years of law school in order to secure the credential (a law degree and a license to practice law) required to be a lawyer and to represent our clients. We are all pretty good at what we do, and we are proud of what we have accomplished.

And who (you might well ask) are the clients who do us the honor of allowing us to represent them in their legal matters and, thereby, who also feed us?

All of them are successful, risk-taking small to medium sized businesses, in the construction industry (by "small to medium," I mean companies which employ from thirty to three thousand employees, and have revenues from one to thirty million dollars per annum). The owners and operators of these businesses are, by necessity, smart, agile thinkers, keen evaluators of risk, excellent financial managers and masterful administrators of resources, both human and physical plant.

The other thing which is true about these business owners is that almost none of them have college degrees- rather, most started out in their respective trades, whether it be masonry, drywall, electrical, steel, concrete, demolition, dirt work, plumbing, HVAC, flooring, carpentry... whatever.

There are many millionaires among them, and they (in this industry, in particular) are noted for mentoring others who are getting into the business, helping them to be successful.

So, I point out to you, as food for thought, that we at our law firm, practicing one of the ancient professions with all of the education and credentials required therefor, call all of these under-educated rubes, nearly all of whom claim as their only traditional educational credential a high-school diploma, call each of these people "client," which is another word for "boss."

I count some of these folks among the wisest people I know- and some of the biggest idiots I have had the dubious pleasure of encountering, are highly-educated and many-degreed.

---

My point is not that you should not go to college- but you should maintain the perspective that recognizes that a college education is but one path one can take to move down the road to success.

Given the choice between a pile of degrees and credentials out the ass on the one hand, and native common sense and a good work ethic on the other, I know which I'd choose.

I think TOO MANY people in this country go to college. It's a waste for many. I have 3 degrees, Ivy League no less (well, actually one was from Johns Hopkins). They were appropriate for what I wanted to do, but that's about it. They aren't appropriate for everyone. My grandfather dropped out in 6th grade, but he had a work ethic that would embarass anyone else, including me. There are those who do, and those who don't, and education has NOTHING to do with it.

I think TOO MANY people in this country go to college. It's a waste for many. I have 3 degrees, Ivy League no less (well, actually one was from Johns Hopkins). They were appropriate for what I wanted to do, but that's about it. They aren't appropriate for everyone. My grandfather dropped out in 6th grade, but he had a work ethic that would embarass anyone else, including me. There are those who do, and those who don't, and education has NOTHING to do with it.

+1 to both Spike and Andrew. Well said, both of you! (Must have been that college English class. ;))

Andrew, your post reminds me of one of my absolute all-time favorite quotes:

"There are two kinds of people: Those who believe they can, and those who think they can't. They're both right." -- Henry Ford

My point is not that you should not go to college- but you should maintain the perspective that recognizes that a college education is but one path one can take to move down the road to success.

Given the choice between a pile of degrees and credentials out the ass on the one hand, and native common sense and a good work ethic on the other, I know which I'd choose.
For most, obtaining a college degree is the easy part.

Going out into the world, applying and building something with that knowledge is another story. In the case of many of the clients you speak of, their education was listening and learning from the masters at skills who came before them. They applied what they learned not only in the skill but in management of the overall task.

Something you'll never get from a college education regardless of how hard you try... common sense. For some, it doesn't happen until they learn why they failed.

Wait another 50 years and then maybe you can be an authority on something. In 10 years, people may confuse you for someone who knows what he's talking about. Until then, stop wasting our time. We do not need some punk kid who thinks he knows so much about the world telling us what we need to do. Believe me, kid, you haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there. How do I know? Because I haven't even scratched it with roughly twice the years of experience that you have. I just now have gained enough perspective to realize it.

Not to start a fight or anything, but would you like to say that in 50 years to the people changing your diaper in the nursing home? Because we are those people.

I know I don't know everything, even though I may act like it, I know I don't. I don't need to be lectured on how I'm a punk kid because last I checked I'm one of those who applies them self in school learning how to do the work on a timely basis, and what I'll need for a career as opposed to learning how to avoid the cops as a drunken party.

Last edited:
Not to start a fight or anything, but would you like to say that in 30 years to the people changing your diaper in the nursing home? Because we are those people.

Ted isn't that old himself, nor am I, and both of us have discovered that the older we get the more we realize we don't know. I was so much smarter six years ago.

Ted isn't that old himself, nor am I, and both of us have discovered that the older we get the more we realize we don't know. I was so much smarter six years ago.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And we can almost document that here!

(As were we all.)

I was so much smarter six years ago.
Early onset Alzheimer perhaps?? ;)

Ever notice the older you get the smarter your parents become too?

Look I have three degrees and I am still learning stuff. I often learn things form people who have no degrees. I judge people's intelligence on something other than the paper they have on their walls.

I knew a lot of people in college that were morons and no amount of education was going to change that. I knew some really great smart people that did not have any formal education. One of those gave me advise about management of people that I still use successfully today.

I think that going to college is worth it. I have found that those that do graduate tend (THAT IS TEND AS IN NOT ALWAYS BUT MOST OF THE TIME) to be more capable on thinking through complex problems. But college is not an indicator of 100% smart and successful. There are certainly enough college educated idiots in prison to prove that.

Not to start a fight or anything, but would you like to say that in 50 years to the people changing your diaper in the nursing home? Because we are those people.

I sure hope I'm not in a nursing home in 50 years - I still won't be very old then. My grandmother stayed out of them until she was 90, so I should have another 15-20 years left 50 years from now.

I know I don't know everything, even though I may act like it, I know I don't.

Then stop acting it. You say that, but if you truly believed it, you would act it. This will make sense in a few more years.

I don't need to be lectured on how I'm a punk kid because last I checked I'm one of those who applies them self in school learning how to do the work on a timely basis, and what I'll need for a career as opposed to learning how to avoid the cops as a drunken party.

You're a punk kid for being a know-it-all without sufficient information to make a judgement. I was the same way when I was your age. It has caused me to be highly intolerant of people who act this way, as I should've been beaten over the head over it repeatedly and mercilessly. Instead, people were patient with it, which I do not believe they should have been. So, I'm just giving you what I believe I should have gotten. ;)

Amen, brother! :yes:

You're a punk kid for being a know-it-all without sufficient information to make a judgement.

That may be true, however if you put me up with my friends, a good chunk of which have a year or so on me, you'd see that when we were sophomores, they would talk about freshman like they were so far under us, when I was actually down to earth and knew that we were just as low as the freshman were. I know, bad analogy, but its the best I can speak of from personal experience. I also have something a lot of them don't- a backbone. I'm sure that will come in handy when I can actually take a stand for something while they can't.

Edit 1- also, if you read an earlier post, you would know how much my parents are on my case about how college is needed to ever get a job that doesn't pay $7 an hour. Which I've now learned is untrue.

And how do we know that we are not confusing you for someone who knows what they are talking about? And I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, funny, or cute in that statement, because you seem to have been similar to me, so if that is what you say may happen to me how do we know it didn't happen to you?

Edit 2- also, if every time someone made a judegement without sufficient information they were beat, then I think everyone would be beating daily. (when does everyone have all the information? When was the last time your opinion changed when you got more information?) Then no one would ever talk in fear of being beaten. Not to mention that making statements without knowledge is how our knowledge of how the universe is advanced. You learn from your mistakes, not from being beaten for them.

Last edited:
Thread closed for further review. Appears to possibly have degenerated since the last time we looked at it.

I didn't finish college, but I am in the top 90% income bracket.
The top 90%? WOW! Aren't you glad only 10% of the people in the country earn less than you?:rofl:

"Got a good Christian raisin' and an eighth grade education
Ain't no need in y'all a treatin' me this way"
- Billy Joe Shaver

Thread reopened -- just don't nobody call nobody else "ignorant."

Thanks.

"I've done some growing up and I'm still growing up
So I know I'll never be as smart as I once was...
Lord I'm learning so much more than back when I knew it all."

-- Montgomery-Gentry (written by Hannan, O'Donnell, and Wilmon)

The top 90%? WOW! Aren't you glad only 10% of the people in the country earn less than you?:rofl:

<RIMSHOT> That's Ron Levy, folks!!! Put your hands together, he'll be here all week!!!!

Ron, I didn't know you had it in you!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Back