AI is starting to be flaky

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I noticed this past winter when it was really cold that my AI was doing some strange stuff. Would indicate a 10 degree descent even though I was level and such. I attributed it to the cold but I noticed it doing it again. It is probably time to send it in for a rebuild or is it?

My AI is lite but does not have a vacuum flag. I have a vacuum gauge and vacuum fail light on the right hand side of the cockpit and another failure light about the middle of the instrument panel, but I was thinking I would really like one on the AI. So if I go for getting a new AI with the vacuum flag what is a good brand and source?

I noticed this past winter when it was really cold that my AI was doing some strange stuff. Would indicate a 10 degree descent even though I was level and such. I attributed it to the cold but I noticed it doing it again. It is probably time to send it in for a rebuild or is it?

My AI is lite but does not have a vacuum flag. I have a vacuum gauge and vacuum fail light on the right hand side of the cockpit and another failure light about the middle of the instrument panel, but I was thinking I would really like one on the AI. So if I go for getting a new AI with the vacuum flag what is a good brand and source?

I'm pretty sure that AIM and SigmaTek have vacuum AIs with flags. Try Chief Aircraft.

Just remember that a vacuum flag on the AI won't indicate anything WRT the gyro operation. Some electric AIs (including the one by Castelbury that Sporty's sells) detect and flag low rotor RPM but I've never seen that feature on a vacuum powered one.

Well, that's it, Scott. The AI, then the bracket.

You just need a new plane. :D

Well, that's it, Scott. The AI, then the bracket.

You just need a new plane. :D

That would be nice! A new 182 would be perfect, and don't think I have not been pitching that idea either. But somehow it isn't going over really well when I mention that to pay for it we could just cash in part of our 401k ;) ;)

Back