Ahhh great weekend of aviating

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
So my lack of flying recently was getting to me real bad last week and I decided it was time for a trip. since it had been more than 90 days at the flight school since I had flown I had to do another checkout flight, but I took the opportunity to experience a new plane. Wed. I did my checkout in a Cherokee 180 with a G600 in it. That thing is pretty amazing with what all it can do. Had a nice little 1.0 hr flight playing with the G600 and autopilot (in 80hrs that was my first time to ever see a functioning autopilot).
Got on the schedule for Sat. in a Cherokee 160 for some XC time over to Hooks KDWH to go visit the lady. The plan was to head over there in the morning and fly back sometime that night. When I arrived at the airport on Sat. though, I was informed that night flights of any kind HAVE to be on an IFR flight plan. Luckily, the plane was open this morning so I just kept it over night. Took off and got underway, I was pleased with my radio skills for having such a long time off. Climbed to 7500 and had a beautiful 1.3 hrs flight there, cool, smooth, just nice. I was surprised how fast the 160 was, it has fairings and gap seals, but was faster than the 180. I was having to pull it back to keep it in the low yellow. I got to play around in the Class B some on the way in, it wasn't near as intimidating as I remember going to Dallas during my training.
Parked at Hooks and spent the night, came back out this morning and had a bit of a bumpy ride back, I was at 2500 trying to take advantage of the tailwinds giving me a 155kt GS. I think I hit my head on the roof once or twice. I was also in some pretty good rising air, I was cruising at ~50% trying to keep it in the green arc. Came back to a nice X-wind landing at GTU and put her up for the day.
2.6 more down and a bunch more hrs to go, but a great two days of flying.

Back