AH1 photo op

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Had an AH1 fly off our right wing same direction heading north from Cape May, NJ. I asked him for a photo op and he came right up to our altitude.

So this is what it looks like when you bust a TFR......

Attachments

• AH1.jpg
    AH1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 82
  • AH1 photo op.jpg
    AH1 photo op.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 80
That's way cool, Gary! How much separation did you have? Were you on ATC or the local CTAF to talk to them?

Awesome!
(or is this just a ruse to hide the fact that you went out and bested a TFR just to get a picture of an AH1?)

Local CTAF at KWWD (122.7) maybe a mile or so but at least 500 ft lower. I ask for the photo op since I had a CAP young man in the right seat.....the AH1 climbed to our ALT and held his distance .......it made his day. Mine too! :yesnod:

Nope.....no TFR bust ! :wink2:

That was pretty quick thinking. It would never have occurred to me to request a photo op. That kid must have been thrilled. Heck, I still get excited when I see stuff like that.

Glad you got some good pics. I've got some time in that excellent bird. He's a pic from RVN back in '72.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• F9Nov72002.jpg
    F9Nov72002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Glad you got some good pics. I've got some time in that excellent bird. He's a pic from RVN back in '72.

Best,

Dave

Practicing water T&Gs? Can I assume you were commanding the ship that the picture was taken from?

Practicing water T&Gs? Can I assume you were commanding the ship that the picture was taken from?

I was front seat: the bullet stopper position. Never made aircraft commander. Started flying Hueys and running the mission from the coordination standpoint since it was my second tour. Only flew about four months toward the end of the war. Before that, was an infantry company commander (second tour). Our unit, F Troop, 9th Cav. picked up the first POWs that were released after the cease fire. Was up a couple times when Strellas were fired, but never at the ship I was in.

Best,

Dave

Back