Ah, to be a charter pilot...

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We have a regular guest, now a good friend, who flies his clients to the island regularly. They used to have him fly the plane back home, and come back to fetch them on Sunday.

NOW, he has them "saving money" by putting him up at our hotel every time he flies them down. Compared to the $700 in fuel it cost him to reposition the plane, our rooms are a real bargain!

*sigh* How cool is THAT? Wouldn't it be great to have a job where you could actually SAVE your boss money by getting him to put you up in an island hotel for the weekend? :lol:

This is the sort of great stuff that happens after you've been in business for a few years and people like and trust you.

Doesn't sound so great to me. I assume he's getting paid to sit on the island and wait for the boss?

Doesn't sound so great to me. I assume he's getting paid to sit on the island and wait for the boss?

Yeah, darn it. He's being paid to enjoy 25 miles of white sand beach for two days, whilst supping on fine, fresh seafood and sipping an ice-cold Shiner Bock.

Awful. We don't know how he stands it. :lol:

Yeah, darn it. He's being paid to enjoy 25 miles of white sand beach for two days, whilst supping on fine, fresh seafood and sipping an ice-cold Shiner Bock.

...and free breakfast and juice, delivered with the morning paper, right to your room! :D

...and free breakfast and juice, delivered with the morning paper, right to your room! :D

And the hot tub. Never forget the 102 degree waters, and their healing touch... :lol:

Oh, and he doesn't have to buy his own fuel. THAT would be nice. :yesnod:

Okay, before someone says it, yes, we know he's away from home on yet another weekend, probably not getting to see his kid's violin recital or something. Every job has a downside, but right now his sounds like a little slice of heaven, to me.

Well, he is solo, away from family (could be a plus or minus, depending...) and I image he's got to be careful about shiner bock consumption in the event the boss needs to head back NOW, as so often is the case in the charter world.

But yeah, hanging at the beach is better than sitting in the TEB pilot lounge.

Nothing spiritual about working away from home, no matter which day of the week. Hotel rooms all look the same when the door is closed, and nobody cares about the number of bars on your shoulder boards or how big the iron you'e flying may be. Just another guy with a long look on his face and calllouses on his ass sitting around and wishing he was somewhere else. BTDT. No mas.

And the hot tub. Never forget the 102 degree waters, and their healing touch... :lol:

Oh, and he doesn't have to buy his own fuel. THAT would be nice. :yesnod:

Okay, before someone says it, yes, we know he's away from home on yet another weekend, probably not getting to see his kid's violin recital or something. Every job has a downside, but right now his sounds like a little slice of heaven, to me.

Nothing spiritual about working away from home, no matter which day of the week. Hotel rooms all look the same when the door is closed, and nobody cares about the number of bars on your shoulder boards or how big the iron you'e flying may be. Just another guy with a long look on his face and calllouses on his ass sitting around and wishing he was somewhere else. BTDT. No mas.

Not ours! :D (Each room is a different era of aviation history. You don't have to check the name on the soap to figure out where you are, when you stay with us.)

Can't quibble about the rest of your post, though. I'm sure it's a tough life.

Sweet ;) I'm in SA. Are the blue crabs hard yet, or still soft/spongy?

We'll have to come visit :)

Sweet ;) I'm in SA. Are the blue crabs hard yet, or still soft/spongy?

We'll have to come visit :)

Well, if you happen to be a mother (or have one with you), we're giving away Mother's Day free with the purchase of tomorrow (Saturday) night. We've only got four rooms left, though, so call quick. 888-671-8088.

"Operators are standing by." :lol: (That would be me, BTW...:D)

It isn't perfect but I can think of much worse jobs. It's also quite different from the days of $1.50/min long-distance calls.

Nor was I seeking to denigrate your fine establishment. Hope to see it first-hand soon.

Not ours! :D (Each room is a different era of aviation history. You don't have to check the name on the soap to figure out where you are, when you stay with us.)

Can't quibble about the rest of your post, though. I'm sure it's a tough life.

Nor was I seeking to denigrate your fine establishment. Hope to see it first-hand soon.

Cool! Your car (or van) awaits your arrival... Just give us a little advanced head's up, so you don't end up in an older room on a sellout weekend! (We book the old rooms last, naturally.)

One more off-season and we should have them ALL remodeled.

It isn't perfect but I can think of much worse jobs.
It is what you make of it. If you convince yourself you are going to be miserable in a hotel you will be.

I have tried to take advantage of the places I get to stay. Back when I was doing mostly charter I went to a large variety of destinations. More recently most of the flights have been Part 91 to the (cough) same old places. I think I've been to all the tourist attractions possible in one certain city...

My wife travels on the big iron every week, but she really enjoyed Jays place during spring break and we had an old room. Place has character.

My wife travels on the big iron every week, but she really enjoyed Jays place during spring break and we had an old room. Place has character.

Thanks. The whole town has "character" during Spring Break.

Nothing like 100,000 college students on a little-bitty island to change the complexion of a small (3,000 residents) town! :yikes:

Think $700 repositioning fuel is bad you should see what it costs to run some of these big yachts around, especially to just go get some parts or pick someone up from an island with an airport much less a port of entry.

That's why the big boys have helos, it's not just quick and convenient, it's bloody cost effective even at $1500hr... :yikes:

That's why I'm looking to trade out my twin for an amphib; I have access to get it and myself on an existing 135 Air Taxi Operator Certificate with Bahamas routes, clients and permits and also full permits and licenses from both sides, the US and Cuba, to have trade operation with and within Cuba.

I can have a yacht direct delivery service of parts, supplies (including Pizza, I have flown 22 Antony's Coal Fire Pizza to the Bahamas before and people.

In the mean time till everything gets though and the plane is on the certificate, I'll be flying it around back and forth here to St Pete, Tampa and Orlando areas where I can taxi up to my parents house, my new/ still seeing how we like each other girlfriend's house and one of my oldest friends house since they all live on large enough lakes to fly on/off except my folks who live on the edge of the bay.

There is also transporting myself directly to boats for either doing temporary work locally then flying out, or if I need to leave with the boat, I'll just take my CFI/pilot buddy here along with to fly it back for me.

Mari and Wayne are right, it is what you make of it. However, once you do it for a while, the extended vacation time does get a bit old. Getting out and enjoy what the area has to offer is, of course, important. Taking advantage of the sights does help, but if you have a family waiting for you at home, that time away from them (for me anyway), is difficult. This week I've been away from home about 12-16 hours most days.

The trade-off is that when I'm home, I'm home. That gives me lots more free time than I overall had before, and works out nicely. So, I am happy about that part. If I could bring my wife with me on the longer trips, that would make it easier.

Overall, though, it is a fun job, certainly more fun than my previous job.

It is a mixed bag. I'm at a resort on the beach in the Dominican Republic for two days. Last weekend I was in Puebla Mexico for Cinco de Mayo. Couple of weeks before that Nassau. This is pt 91 not charter but same thing.

It is getting a tad old. For sure it saves the owner a lot of money having us stay over. Sometimes we airline home and back. About anything is cheaper than running a jet!

In any case if this helps Jay's business, I'm all for it.

Jay,

You sound so proud of the business you built. It's good to read of your passion and vision, in a time when so many people can't wait to bad mouth anyone that actually works and then someday, succeeds.

Thanks for the update.

Jay,

You sound so proud of the business you built. It's good to read of your passion and vision, in a time when so many people can't wait to bad mouth anyone that actually works and then someday, succeeds.

Thanks for the update.

I get the feeling you're talking about me. To be clear I haven't 'bad mouthed' anyone. If I'm off base then sorry.

I get the feeling you're talking about me. To be clear I haven't 'bad mouthed' anyone. If I'm off base then sorry.

If you've ever bad-mouthed me, Captain, I must've missed it. No offense taken here!

As for my pride, hell, yes I'm proud of what we've achieved here. We ripped our roots out of the Midwest, threw the chunk of sod 1200 miles South, and managed to take root in a very inhospitable business climate -- all in the name of living in paradise. The fact that we managed to pull it off still makes me giggle, sometimes. :goofy:

We absolutely love it here on the island. It is an aviator's dream, and I can't wait to wake up every day. Our place is already the best hotel on the island, and when we're done it is going to be SO cool! :cheers:

My best friend flies a King Air 350. Often, he takes his wife along and the two of them vacation on the clients nickle. However, when he has to RON with newer clients he generally stays at a different hotel. This help keep drunk clients from wanting him to fly at the drop of a hat. Smart man my friend.

There are always more than two sides to every coin (don't forget the edges). For every trip that's a day in paradise, there's one or more that isn't, but no matter where you are, being gone 24 hours from home is still three times what most people spend doing for the company, in the office, and three days on the road is six days at home, even if it's in paradise. It sounds like a great deal, but when you're gone enough that you realize it's going to take a whole lot more than a day on a white sand beach to make up for the time you've lost (read: compensation).

I've had employers and clients pay to go to football games, put me up at a waterfront hotel in Ketchikan with a few hundred dollars of play money and told to "have a good time," and have been put in 1,300 dollar hotel rooms and five star places around the world. I've flown hollywood stars and sports celebrities and business greats, and have shared their extremely expensive catering. Overnights in Dubai, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rio, Anchorage, Bahrain, and other places, sometimes a week there, or more, are sometimes highlights. No question about it.

For every one of those nights there have been months on end in a tent in Basrah, or taking rocket fire in Mosul, or getting through the multiple checkpoints and metal detectors to the check-in desk in Karachi, only to watch scores of people cruise in and out of the lobby carrying automatic weapons. Overnights in motel 6's, shabby places in Liege, living the high life in Kandahar and Kabul or Mazar e Sharif, and of course Newark.

What it really comes down to when one is gone from home for two days, a week, a month, or ten months, as the case may be, is that those are ten months of one's life that one doesn't get back, that one doesn't get to see kids learning to walk, talk, or go on their first date, or make the wife a happy girl. It's good and well to lay on the sand in Waikiki, but it's not so great to do it alone. One night I found myself at the top floor of a hotel in that very place, Waikiki, in Hawaii, on a perfect evening. I was sending a message on my laptop, this one, in fact. A series of bangs rang out, and I found myself crawling down the open air hall-way to find that fireworks were being launched over the beach. In another time and another place I'd love to have watched them; I always loved fireworks as a kid. But I couldn't force myself to get up. I just came from a year in Iraq, and all the booms and bangs there were the genuine article. I was physically in paradise, but still trapped in Iraq.

Going to exotic locations is great. I absolutely love Hong Kong, and the greatest place in the world for me, far from exotic for most, is Anchorage. I'm very much at home in Dubai, and I don't mind Afghanistan. The wonder and newness of foreign locals goes away fairly quickly, however, and home is always where you hang your hat temporarily, but never quite like the place where you left your family behind (and if you're really fortunate, are still there waiting for you). Getting paid for the flight hours, or a salary that covers the days still doesn't make up for all the time gone, or for the layovers in (insert any place here). Most places are about the same after a while, truth be told, and none of them come close to replacing home.

There are always more than two sides to every coin (don't forget the edges). For every trip that's a day in paradise, there's one or more that isn't, but no matter where you are, being gone 24 hours from home is still three times what most people spend doing for the company, in the office, and three days on the road is six days at home, even if it's in paradise. It sounds like a great deal, but when you're gone enough that you realize it's going to take a whole lot more than a day on a white sand beach to make up for the time you've lost (read: compensation).

I've had employers and clients pay to go to football games, put me up at a waterfront hotel in Ketchikan with a few hundred dollars of play money and told to "have a good time," and have been put in 1,300 dollar hotel rooms and five star places around the world. I've flown hollywood stars and sports celebrities and business greats, and have shared their extremely expensive catering. Overnights in Dubai, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rio, Anchorage, Bahrain, and other places, sometimes a week there, or more, are sometimes highlights. No question about it.

For every one of those nights there have been months on end in a tent in Basrah, or taking rocket fire in Mosul, or getting through the multiple checkpoints and metal detectors to the check-in desk in Karachi, only to watch scores of people cruise in and out of the lobby carrying automatic weapons. Overnights in motel 6's, shabby places in Liege, living the high life in Kandahar and Kabul or Mazar e Sharif, and of course Newark.

What it really comes down to when one is gone from home for two days, a week, a month, or ten months, as the case may be, is that those are ten months of one's life that one doesn't get back, that one doesn't get to see kids learning to walk, talk, or go on their first date, or make the wife a happy girl. It's good and well to lay on the sand in Waikiki, but it's not so great to do it alone. One night I found myself at the top floor of a hotel in that very place, Waikiki, in Hawaii, on a perfect evening. I was sending a message on my laptop, this one, in fact. A series of bangs rang out, and I found myself crawling down the open air hall-way to find that fireworks were being launched over the beach. In another time and another place I'd love to have watched them; I always loved fireworks as a kid. But I couldn't force myself to get up. I just came from a year in Iraq, and all the booms and bangs there were the genuine article. I was physically in paradise, but still trapped in Iraq.

Going to exotic locations is great. I absolutely love Hong Kong, and the greatest place in the world for me, far from exotic for most, is Anchorage. I'm very much at home in Dubai, and I don't mind Afghanistan. The wonder and newness of foreign locals goes away fairly quickly, however, and home is always where you hang your hat temporarily, but never quite like the place where you left your family behind (and if you're really fortunate, are still there waiting for you). Getting paid for the flight hours, or a salary that covers the days still doesn't make up for all the time gone, or for the layovers in (insert any place here). Most places are about the same after a while, truth be told, and none of them come close to replacing home.

I feel for you, Doug. I've never been on the road much, but I understand long hours and the price this costs you and your family. Mary and I take 18 hours a week off -- period. It's gets old, fast.

Sounds like you desperately need a career change. Been there, done that, got the going away cards to show for it -- and they've always been for the better, even if they haven't always paid better or even well. Sometimes you just need a change.

This is a pilot or an ATC employee? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back