AGI

Alpha-niner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alpha-niner
Hello everyone,newbie here. I am studying for my AGI certificate so I can help pay for my flight training.Anyone else taking this approach?Tips?Advice?

And exactly how are you going to make money with an AGI?

I have had one for some 30 years and never made a cent. :D

And exactly how are you going to make money with an AGI?

I have had one for some 30 years and never made a cent. :D

About 20 years ago a private pilot friend taught the private ground school at the local airport for $$.

I suppose a 141 school could hire their students to the task, but not likely.

Uh… I need one. I’ll hire ya.

In these days of worker shortages, this is more of a possibility than ever. It’s not common, it’s not great pay, but it is a decent idea. Given it’s only a test to certify, I’d highly recommend getting basic, advanced and instrument.

Basic makes not sense, as the AGI supersedes is. IGI is good and just one more test.

Most places use one of their CFIs to teach the ground school.

I had my CFI, so had already done the FOI exam. So I was going to the testing place, having studied for other exams, so I added those. But I also did 4 FAA exams in one afternoon. And yes, I passed all four. :)

I earned my AGI/IGI about 6 months before my CFI and made some money with it. Not a huge amount but I was able to give basic ground stuff and do mock oral as prep for Instrument, Private and Commercial check rides. Now with a CFI my IGI helps a bit until I get my CFI-I.

+1 Sheppard Air
If you are going for master CFI thru NAFI or Safe You'll need AGI IGI.

Why AGI? for CFI's?
If a CFI signs off an applicant for a written test and s/he fail it counts negatively against your CFI certificate - If you are an AGI \BGI or IGI and sign off an applicant for a written using that cert it does not count against your CFI certificate. as previously stated in other posts If one gets their BGI and a certificate is issued then your FOI test is valid forever menaing you can wait two plus years to take your CFI practical test so long a your FIA test is not expired

If you have a BGI and take the IGI your BGI get automatically upgraded to AGI - Difference in test between AGI and BGI is AGI contains 6 questions regarding instruments

If you are going for master CFI thru NAFI or Safe You'll need AGI IGI.

Why AGI? for CFI's?
If a CFI signs off an applicant for a written test and s/he fail it counts negatively against your CFI certificate - If you are an AGI \BGI or IGI and sign off an applicant for a written using that cert it does not count against your CFI certificate. as previously stated in other posts If one gets their BGI and a certificate is issued then your FOI test is valid forever menaing you can wait two plus years to take your CFI practical test so long a your FIA test is not expired

If you have a BGI and take the IGI your BGI get automatically upgraded to AGI - Difference in test between AGI and BGI is AGI contains 6 questions regarding instruments

That is incorrect. The BGI plus an IGI does not automatically get upgraded to a AGI. That’s a false rumor that circulated about twenty years ago and was incorrect then as well. It was a byproduct of the John Lynch unofficial official part 61 guidance that was riddled with errors. See FAA 8900.1 guidance here.

BTW, How does a failure on a knowledge test count negatively against your flight instructor certificate?

Back