AGI Currency Requirements??

akhosh2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
akhosh2
Hi Everyone,

I am a bit confused regarding the AGI. I am planning to take my AGI in the next couple days already having past the FOI. However, it seems there are some people who say once you pass and go to the FSDO you are current to start teaching while others refer to the following interpretation and say you need an endorsement to start teaching even after you have initially passing the knowledge test (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...9/metzinger - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf) . My question is two fold: which school of though is correct and additionally 61.217 states: " The holder of a ground instructor
certificate may not perform the duties
of a ground instructor unless the per-
son can show that one of the following
occurred during the preceding 12 cal-
endar months:
(a) Employment or activity as a
ground instructor giving pilot, flight
instructor, or ground instructor train-
ing;
(b) Employment or activity as a
flight instructor giving pilot, flight in-
structor, or ground instructor ground
or flight training;
(c) Completion of an approved flight
instructor refresher course and receipt
of a graduation certificate for that
course;
or
(d) An endorsement from an author-
ized instructor certifying that the per-
son has demonstrated knowledge in the
subject areas prescribed under
§ 61.213(a)(3) and (a)(4), as appropriate."

Could i just take the approved refresher course right after passing the AGI and get "current" or do i need the endorsement either way" ????

All insight is appreciated!!!

According to the FAA's Chief Counsel, passing the test doesn't make you current, you still need to comply with 61.217. You can even take the approved refresher prior to taking the AGI as long as it is within 12 months of when you start to exercise the privileges of your AGI certificate. It should be cheaper to get a CFI buddy to give you the endorsement than to take the course though. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...9/metzinger - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

Didn't you have to show an endorsement from a CFI to take the test? That would meet the requirements of (d). If not, are you working with a CFI that would be willing to endorse you?
Taking the refresher course is the other way - para (c). It does say (c) OR (d).

Hi Dennis,
Since no endorsement was required for the knowledge test i mainly did self study. Comparing ground rates in my area to certain online refresher courses an online refresher course may be the more economic route.

Thanks!

I just had a CFI friend that knew me well and had recently trained me provide an endorsement.

Back