Aggie's 7 OT win

Anymouse

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Total Stud Bush Pilot
My friend is on a time out, so I'll have to ask this myself...

The Aggies apparently won in the 7th overtime this weekend after completing a 2-point conversion play. I'm curious why they didn't just go for the easier kick and still win the game? Was this a rule requirement? Or was the Aggie kicker just tired?

I didn't watch the game, just saw the article.

Rules dictate that after the second overtime any touchdown must use a 2-point conversion rather than an extra point.

I had a feeling it might be something like that, but I've never actually heard that rule before.

Thanks!

What's the rationale?

As I understood it, it was to help bring an earlier end to games that went into lots of overtimes- the idea being that a two point conversion has a smaller chance of being successful than an extra point.

Not that it helped much in *this* case. ;)

Huh? It made the difference in this case.

Great game. It's too bad that either team had to lose, but since one did? Better the Tigers than the Aggies!

I’m just saying that 7OT is still a looooong game!

Sudden death would make more sense. Why have the score go up in 6's and 8's? The probability of conversion makes it silly and takes away the clock. Anyone gonna get down field after an extra point with 1 minute on the clock?

Anyway. It's NCAA. Which means, "Nothing Can Affect Advertising"

Sudden death make zero sense. You may as well spin a wheel to see who wins. This was a closely contested game with two worthy teams. That's what sport is about.

The teams scored more in OT than the regular game. It was awesome

If the intention is to limit the amount of overtime, wouldn't eliminating the 2 pointer make just as much sense? Or.. after 2 OT's go to sudden?

I know... that would cost advertising dollars, so cannot be done.

Play on.

After OT3, no more first downs allowed...score in 4 downs or turn over the ball.

Why isn't the regular game played like OT.??

Seems like it would be more exciting that way.

Anyway..... How about those Aggies.!!!

Sudden death make zero sense. You may as well spin a wheel to see who wins. This was a closely contested game with two worthy teams. That's what sport is about.

It’s not sudden death, it’s overtime. NFL used to be sudden death, although it’s a little different now. College is overtime, different rules.

My TX house is about 3 miles from Kyle Field. I'm a big fan of college football and very pleased with the Aggie win. College football is the real deal. I couldn't care less about the NFL. To each their own. ;)

My TX house is about 3 miles from Kyle Field. I'm a big fan of college football and very pleased with the Aggie win. College football is the real deal. I couldn't care less about the NFL. To each their own. ;)

As a kid I grew up a few miles from Kyle Field, before it was Kyle super colossal Johnny Football stadium. I could sit outside the house and hear the crowd, the announcer and the cannon they used to set off after each score. And it was possible to get into Kyle Field free after the halftime show.

They should just settle the game on penalty kicks.

As a kid I grew up a few miles from Kyle Field, before it was Kyle super colossal Johnny Football stadium. I could sit outside the house and hear the crowd, the announcer and the cannon they used to set off after each score. And it was possible to get into Kyle Field free after the halftime show.

The expansion of facilities has little to do with Johnny and everything to do with the SEC. I take it you haven't been back in a while. There's more to the SEC than just football.

Back