Age waiver

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
As soon as I'm done with IR I will have met all the requirements for CP-ASEL except for being 18. Could it be possible to get a waiver from the FSDO to take my commercial ride before I'm 18?

As soon as I'm done with IR I will have met all the requirements for CP-ASEL except for being 18. Could it be possible to get a waiver from the FSDO to take my commercial ride before I'm 18?

David, there is no age waiver for the Commercial certificate. However, what you COULD do, if you are so inclined, is work on your CFI in the interim and take it shortly after you do your Commercial. The maneuvers are basically the same, and there is no reason why you cannot take your Commercial ride in the right seat.

Seems to me there used to be a way to take the ride before your birthday, and the "pass" would be signed on the 8710-1, but you couldn't file the application and get the certificate until your birthday. Anyone remember that? If so, is it still possible? Your FSDO would know for sure.

Greg's advice is spot-on. I'd go with that, and just take the ride(s) when you hit 18.

David, there is no age waiver for the Commercial certificate. However, what you COULD do, if you are so inclined, is work on your CFI in the interim and take it shortly after you do your Commercial. The maneuvers are basically the same, and there is no reason why you cannot take your Commercial ride in the right seat.

+1

During my commercial training I flew a bunch of flights from the right seat which really helped me when I went for my CFI.

David

Wish I had your problem. They no longer ask me for an ID for a senior discount at the movie theater. I also get offered free cremation services or optional life time warranty for casket from funeral homes. Let me know if you want to switch places and I will swap your student pilot license for my C IFR MEL SEL + 4000 hours. + AARP Membership and Medicare :stirpot:

Jose

Last edited:
Alternatively, or in addition to, the other advice posted, you could perhaps work on the private-multi while you're waiting.

Alternatively, or in addition to, the other advice posted, you could perhaps work on the private-multi while you're waiting.

That's an option... :D

Shut up.

With love,

Us.
While I am inclined to agree with Mike's sentiments I must also add that what you have here is the genteel establishment juxtoposed with a teenager who is well on the way to doing what those already established had settled into at a much later point in their lives.

IOW, on that day (when I was David's current age) I was surfing in Mexico, strolling across the Sierra Nevada, rebuilding HP engines, winning state championship on a college waterpolo team, engaging in blue water sailing, or packing for a trip to the Antartic.

It is only relatively late in my life that I decided to end up at the airport. Who knows where I would be if I had stuck with flying when I started at age 17. Yet I can almost guarantee none of those other things would have occured.

More power to David although I suspect that if he does pursue an occupation in aviation he will endure a myriad of furloughs, perhaps a divorce or two, and watching his pension dissolve.

Last edited:
All I can say, is that's a good problem to have.

Damn kids. Get off my lawn! ;)

While I am inclined to agree with Mike's sentiments I must also add that what you have here is the genteel establishment juxtoposed with a teenager who is well on the way to doing what those already established had settled into at a much later point in their lives.

IOW, on that day (when I was David's current age) I was surfing in Mexico, strolling across the Sierra Nevada, rebuilding HP engines, winning state championship on a college waterpolo team, engaging in blue water sailing, or packing for a trip to the Antartic.

It is only relatively late in my life that I decided to end up at the airport. Who knows where I would be if I had stuck with flying when I started at age 17. Yet I can almost guarantee none of those other things would have occured.

More power to David although I suspect that if he does pursue an occupation in aviation he will endure a myriad of furloughs, perhaps a divorce or two, and watching his pension dissolve.
LOL Richard, there are always the paths not taken. Good for David that he has found something to aim for early in life. I didn't have that kind of focus at 17 or even now.

Is that you Tom D.???

Mr. Kowalski will suffice.

Walt-Kowalski-movies-7419034-500-399.jpg

David

Wish I had your problem. They no longer ask me for an ID for a senior discount at the movie theater. I also get offered free cremation services or optional life time warranty for casket from funeral homes. Let me know if you want to switch places and I will swap your student pilot license for my C IFR MEL SEL + 4000 hours. + AARP Membership and Medicare :stirpot:

Jose

They actually offer a life time warranty on caskets? How is that not a scam?

They actually offer a life time warranty on caskets? How is that not a scam?

I didn't ask details for the warranty since the offer was for the month of October and I didn't have any plans of taking advantage of it. But my question is who's life time?

José

I'm still hoping someone can tell me if it's still possible to take the ride early and get your certificate on your birthday.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me if it's still possible to take the ride early and get your certificate on your birthday.

Jeez, Ron. You are the one with all the answers. Or at least with all the resources. :wink2:

Just take the ride when you hit 18. Use the gap beetween the IR and the Comm to build some real world, solo time. The actual commercial training shouldn't take much more than 20 hours ( less if you learn fast/dedicate yourself).

You used to be able to do it with the ATP. However a few years ago they did away with that and now you have to be 23. I can't remember the reg but basically got a letter saying you demonstrated to the ATP level and when you turned 23 you took that to the FSDO and they gave you your ticket. However they did away with it. They never had the such thing with the commercial or CFII.

I would put the time to good used. Work on getting the experience for you commercial single and multi don't bother with getting the private multi. Also work towards the CFI CFII MEI if you have enoght time. Come your 18th badly take your single and multi commercial and the do e same with your CFI shortly after. I had a student that took his private and instrument his 17th badly, his commercial on his 18th and the CFI CFII the next day. He was teaching while still in high school. He got highered on with American Eagle when he was 20 or 21. He also did a four year degree in two because of all the ratings he had and all his AP classes in high school.

Keith

You used to be able to do it with the ATP. However a few years ago they did away with that and now you have to be 23. I can't remember the reg but basically got a letter saying you demonstrated to the ATP level and when you turned 23 you took that to the FSDO and they gave you your ticket. However they did away with it. They never had the such thing with the commercial or CFII.

I would put the time to good used. Work on getting the experience for you commercial single and multi don't bother with getting the private multi. Also work towards the CFI CFII MEI if you have enoght time. Come your 18th badly take your single and multi commercial and the do e same with your CFI shortly after. I had a student that took his private and instrument his 17th badly, his commercial on his 18th and the CFI CFII the next day. He was teaching while still in high school. He got highered on with American Eagle when he was 20 or 21. He also did a four year degree in two because of all the ratings he had and all his AP classes in high school.

Keith

JAA still issues deferred ATPs. I never understood why th FAA stopped doing that.

"glass is half empty"

How about he sells his airplane, forgets completely about aviation and instead decides to go to law school. That way he can become an alcoholic, collect a skank trophy wife (after he pays off his school debt), raise 2 spoiled daughters and a Chihuahua that bites him. But it's okay, he'll have a massive house in a nice sub-division and drive a Mercedes, working 14 hour days. The american dream.

Absolutely no offense to lawyers meant - my point is that your occupation really has little to do with how happy and successful you are going to be. I'm sure there are plenty of pilots out there who are financially secure and happily married. In fact, I know a few.

Last edited:
Jeez, Ron. You are the one with all the answers. Or at least with all the resources. :wink2:
OK, I went and looked it up. As it reads now...
Sec. 61.39

Prerequisites for practical tests.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section [neither of which cover age], to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:
(5) Meet the prescribed age requirement of this part for the issuance of the certificate or rating sought;
So, either my memory's going, or it used to be but is no longer.

I cannot say just how envious I am of David. When I think about myself at his age, I had the acumen and the discipline to pursue aviation certificates, but lacked the necessary financial resources. I couldn't afford a car, no less an airplane.

Good for David. I truly hope he is able to achieve all his self-motivated goals. He seems well on the way to so doing.

After further review, I did find the exception -- for mechanics.
16. Applicants Under 18 Years of Age. An applicant who meets the requirements of
part 65, except for § 65.71(a)(1) or 65.113, may take the oral and practical tests. For applicants
under 18 years of age who have been authorized to take the oral and practical tests and passes​
them, the temporary certificate will not be issued until the applicant’s 18th birthday.

Ted, that movie depressed me. Clint failed to save the girl. That is so un-Clint like.

Wow! Yeah, he didn't save the girl from getting beat up, but he gave his life to save both of them. How can you expect more than that?

Doc

I cannot say just how envious I am of David. When I think about myself at his age, I had the acumen and the discipline to pursue aviation certificates, but lacked the necessary financial resources. I couldn't afford a car, no less an airplane.

Good for David. I truly hope he is able to achieve all his self-motivated goals. He seems well on the way to so doing.

Me too! When I was 17 I was driving an 11 year old Ford and darn glad to have it. Financially I might as well have wished for a 707 as a few hours of flight training, both were completely out of my reach.

Such a humble youth builds character though, so I managed to do a little bit of something with my life both personally and financially.

Doc

Can you get a really good fake ID?
While I'm sure KimberlyAnne's humor is well-taken, keep in mind that getting caught presenting a fake ID to the FAA is not like getting caught presenting a fake ID to the bartender at the local pub. The latter may only get you tossed out until you really are 21. The former will almost certainly result in revocation of all FAA certificates you have and could cost you any chance of getting a good flying job ever.

Wow - no more funny pilots on POA?

Of course I was joking.

David, one day you will be 18 and it will happen faster than you can imagine, if you fill each day with flying and / or studying for various flying examinations. Can you take all of the written tests etc before 18?

Back