Age and insurance

ChrisRikli

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm curious as to whether the insurance carriers a) consider age at all and b) if they do, how much weight is assigned for a pilot.

I'm thinking a) yes and b) almost none.

Well, most pilots do gain weight as they age.

Yes, I know pilots that have stopped flying when their insurance premium spiked after a birthday. I do not remember if it was 80, 82, or 85. But it was Waugh up there.

I have a friend who is 88. He decided to go light sport. They only company that would talked to him was the one he has used for years with his Arrow. This is second hand but the other companies would not quote for anyone over 80. Shows it is worth sticking with a company, especially as you get older

Last edited:
I have a friend who is 88. He decided to go light sport. They only company that would talked to him was the one he has used for years with his Arrow. This is second hand but the other companies would qoute for anyone over 80. Shows it is worth sticking with a company, especially as you get older

My grandfather ran into the same scenario. Once he turned 80, only his existing insurance company would insure him. Even at that, his premium nearly doubled in 3 years time. I believe he still holds a policy (non-owned) with them even though he sold his Bonanza in case he decides to start flying a light sport.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm curious as to whether the insurance carriers a) consider age at all and b) if they do, how much weight is assigned for a pilot.

I'm thinking a) yes and b) almost none.

I had a friend (my CFII) listed as a named pilot on my Avemco aircraft insurance policy. When he turned 70 he caused an increase in insurance policy cost (even though he has more time in make/model, etc). Until he turned 70, I was the cost driver in my aircraft insurance policy.

Back