After Gaston's wife tells me to SELL THE PLANE!

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Yes, after our great weekend trip to Branson and Gastons the wife tells me she wants to sell the plane.:hairraise: I ask her why, and she says, "I want a bigger one" I almost fell over. :goofy: So the for sale sign went up today and I have an offer on the table already. Now the big question is what to replace it with? Most likely it will be a C-172 or Cherokee 180.
And for you single guys, Yes, she does have a sister that likes to Fly as well.:yes:

:goofy: I had the same thing happen to me about 13 years ago. I had a 170 Cessna and flew into Red's Horse ranch out in Oregon. I had a little trouble climbing out of the hole it sits in on the way home. ( The ranch is at 3600 ft. and the ridges on each side are 7500 ft above sea level.) When I was explaining this to my wife, she said that I need a bigger plane. I know the feeling. Way to go.

Dean said:
And for you single guys, Yes, she does have a sister that likes to Fly as well.:yes:
Find out if her sister likes Commanders. :D

-Rich

Dean said:
Yes, after our great weekend trip to Branson and Gastons the wife tells me she wants to sell the plane.:hairraise: I ask her why, and she says, "I want a bigger one" I almost fell over. :goofy: So the for sale sign went up today and I have an offer on the table already. Now the big question is what to replace it with? Most likely it will be a C-172 or Cherokee 180.

So, does the sister have an airplane? If so, send picture of airplane.:yes:

Seriously, you have a wonderful wife. Not many are like that.

Dean, what are you selling?

Since I've been gushing about Eric Jensen's Mooney, my wife has been talking about getting rid of the Tiger and getting a Mooney M20F or M20J. May she bite here tongue! Well, OK, dear, I guess if your FORCING me....

Dean said:
You know, there are women on the board who like to fly as well.... DUH! :blowingkisses:

Cool about the bigger plane... See youe wife knows what's best for you. :goofy:

Missa

Anthony said:
Dean, what are you selling?

Since I've been gushing about Eric Jensen's Mooney, my wife has been talking about getting rid of the Tiger and getting a Mooney M20F or M20J. May she bite here tongue! Well, OK, dear, I guess if your FORCING me....

Anthony,

If I were you I'd start talking in my sleep about density altitude and the only plane that really solves that issue is a M20K 231. Of course, there are some really nicely priced TLS Bravo's out there too.

:<)

Len

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/protected/tap/large/0000721889-01-1.jpg

1984 M20K, 1987-TT, 321 SFRM, KFC200, KCS55A, KRA10A, GNS530, KN63, GTX330, PMA/7000B, slaved HSI, OX, Sperry color radar, Stby vac, dig fuel flow, intercooler, hangared. Top Gun Maintained. QTip Prop. CA/(831) 684-0480. jdarke@sbcglobal.net $168,500.

Anthony, This one should be a nice step up from the Tiger. Len

Ahhh, yeah. $168.5K. I'm not sold on the need for turbocharging out here. and nice M20F or 201 would be fine. $100K or so. But, I have to admit, the Tiger has been doing fine out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Len Lanetti said:
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/protected/tap/large/0000721889-01-1.jpg

1984 M20K, 1987-TT, 321 SFRM, KFC200, KCS55A, KRA10A, GNS530, KN63, GTX330, PMA/7000B, slaved HSI, OX, Sperry color radar, Stby vac, dig fuel flow, intercooler, hangared. Top Gun Maintained. QTip Prop. CA/(831) 684-0480. jdarke@sbcglobal.net $168,500.

Anthony, This one should be a nice step up from the Tiger. Len
FYI Len,

The link from TaP isn't visible to anyone who doesn't have a TaP subscription and it causes a login dialog to pop up.

Last edited:
Great wife, hold on to her! You didn't mention a budget, though you did say something about a 172. May I suggest you look into the Cherokee 180. For the money, it's hard to beat. It's faster and usually cheaper than the equivalent Cessna 172. Good luck!

Dean said:
*sniff* *sniff*

You're a lucky man!

I started looking at the sites last night, aerotrader.com, barnstormers.com and aso.com. Not very many Cherokee 180's out there right now. The ones I found where in the 60's, which is about 10K more than I can spend. But I found several late 50's Bonanzas in my price range. So my questions today are, are these a good reliable plane or a money pit? Is the insurance high and are they expensive to maintain?

Dean said:
I started looking at the sites last night, aerotrader.com, barnstormers.com and aso.com. Not very many Cherokee 180's out there right now. The ones I found where in the 60's, which is about 10K more than I can spend. But I found several late 50's Bonanzas in my price range. So my questions today are, are these a good reliable plane or a money pit? Is the insurance high and are they expensive to maintain?

Can't tell you about Bo's, but if you're considering a Cherokee 180, how about a Grumman Tiger (same usefull load and faster) or a Cessna Cardinal or 180 HP Cessna 172. As you know, purchase price is only a small portion of airplane owenrship. An older airplane may seem like a deal, and it may be, but depends largely on maintenance history and condition, rather than model year.

Greebo said:
FYI Len,

The link from TaP isn't visible to anyone who doesn't have a TaP subscription and it causes a login dialog to pop up.

Chuck,

Sorry. I did not realize there was a TaP link in the post. I deleted the picture. Did that take care of the issue?

Len

Dean said:
But I found several late 50's Bonanzas in my price range. So my questions today are, are these a good reliable plane or a money pit? Is the insurance high and are they expensive to maintain?
Look at it this way: It's a 45 year old piece of three-quarter million dollar machinery. Expect it to act like that. Your purchase price is simply entry to the club. The maintenance and overhead will make the purchase price a pittance.

Not to disparage the older Bo's. The same could be said for just about ANY piece of 45 year old machinery. Personally, I would dial back on performance in favor of something newer. But that's just me.

Anthony said:
how about a Grumman Tiger (same usefull load and faster) or a Cessna Cardinal or 180 HP Cessna 172.

He said "in the 60's" was 10k to high for what he wants to spend. Hard to find decent examples of the above in the 50's. More like upper 60's to lower 70's.

Bill Jennings said:
He said "in the 60's" was 10k to high for what he wants to spend. Hard to find decent examples of the above in the 50's. More like upper 60's to lower 70's.

That is true Bll. You can't find a decent Tiger under $70 - $75K and if you want modern avionics, add from there.

Hey, what's with the TAP login popping up all the time?

Dean said:
IThe ones I found where in the 60's, which is about 10K more than I can spend.

Dean,

Get a subscription to Trade a Plane (TaP). The least expensive print subscription is about $18 or $19 (maybe a little less). With a print subscription you get access to the very nice TaP advert search engine. The search engine includes min/max dollar amount criteria. You can also select by model, or not.

An interesting exercise is to plug in a number around your max dollar amount and see what aircraft are displayed.

In your initial post you indicate that your wife would like more room in the aircraft. I don't know what you are flying today but note that in cabin cross section of typical single engine GA aircraft you really don't get more room (ie more than 2 or 3 inches) until you jump up to something like a Cherokee Six (their are some exceptions like a Commander or possibly something like a Navion).

If you plug in $50K into the TaP search engine you will be returned 172's, PA28151s, PA28161s, M20Cs, M20Es among other things.

Len

I'm sorta with Ken on this one.

Look at parts pricing for the planes you're considering if budget is an issue. Really old stuff will be harder to obtain parts. Heck, even some of the 25 year old parts sometimes require calls to the boneyards. Planes that are still in production will have more support.

Also consider insurance. As a couple of other folks noted, some insurance companies are getting picky about insuring older aircraft.

OTOH, if it's a plane you REALLY want, stretch and go for it.

There are plenty of late 70's model planes - and newer - out there at various prices.

Dean said:

Dean, if you don't mind going a little slower than other 180 hp planes will go, and like the Beeches, don't forget about the Sundowners. At 180 hp, they'll carry the same loads as other four seat, 180 hp airplanes, have a big, roomy, comfy cabin, are reputed to be nice to fly, and can be had in the range of what it looks like your budget is. They have two doors, and regular Lycoming 180 hp engines, so you don't have the engine issues you may have with the older Musketeers.

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

My bad. Hopefully I fixed that.

Len

Glad to hear its just not my computer. I thought I picked up a bug. Thanks Len. Hey there's worse things thna being prompted to login ot TAP. :) Hmmm, maybe I'll have to check out the M20's.

Anthony said:
That is true Bll. You can't find a decent Tiger under $70 - $75K and if you want modern avionics, add from there.

For mid 50's, I'd be looking for a solid traditional IFR equipped 172, maybe a better equipped Sundowner, Cherokee 180, etc. If wanting high perf, he may be able to find a nice Bellanca Viking in the mid-50's, but there is maint that goes with that.

Hey, what's with the TAP login popping up all the time?

Dunno, but it IS annoying.

Len Lanetti said:
In your initial post you indicate that your wife would like more room in the aircraft. I don't know what you are flying today but note that in cabin cross section of typical single engine GA aircraft you really don't get more room (ie more than 2 or 3 inches) until you jump up to something like a Cherokee Six (their are some exceptions like a Commander or possibly something like a Navion).
Dean has an exceptionally nice 150 with a jump seat in the back. Any of the nominal 4-placers will have more room. I think Dean will have to be careful not to get something too ratty ("well, honey, we can put in a new interior next year") or he may lose the support of his sig other.

I've cleaned up the quoted links as well.

Missa said:
You know, there are women on the board who like to fly as well.... DUH! :blowingkisses:
Oh yeah! So there are! How'd that happen? :D

-Rich
/ducks for cover

Len Lanetti said:
An interesting exercise is to plug in a number around your max dollar amount and see what aircraft are displayed.

A search of single engine aircraft in TaP with a minimum asking price of $30K and a maximum of $50K resulted in 417 hits!

Len

Dean said:

When you get into the 100k budget, you can really find some nice traveling machines..

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...oup=truexxxxxsearchid=5404584xxxxxregionid=-1

Tom,

Nice but I'd have to have the stripes repainted in different colors.

Len

Back