After cancelling IFR with en-route controller

Hence the conflict.
I don't get it. If the SUA isn't active, where's the conflict? And if the SUA is active, IFR traffic is kept out, so again, where's the conflict?

I don't get it. If the SUA isn't active, where's the conflict? And if the SUA is active, IFR traffic is kept out, so again, where's the conflict?
Some IFR approaches encroach into SUA. That airspace has to go cold in order for the approach to be flown. At some towered fields without radar, all affected airspace has to be shut down when they are notified of an inbound IFR. It stays cold until either the airplane lands or cancels IFR. The entire R-area affected may be shutdown, or some portion of it spelled out in an LOA.

Some IFR approaches encroach into SUA. That airspace has to go cold in order for the approach to be flown. At some towered fields without radar, all affected airspace has to be shut down when they are notified of an inbound IFR. It stays cold until either the airplane lands or cancels IFR. The entire R-area affected may be shutdown, or some portion of it spelled out in an LOA.
OK, now it's clear.

Do they really shut SUA down when someone wants to fly an approach through it, or do they just shut down the approach when the SUA is active?

Do they really shut SUA down when someone wants to fly an approach through it, or do they just shut down the approach when the SUA is active?
I’m the example above, they shut down activity in the airspace and temporarily relinquish control back to ATC until the traffic is clear. They also close the airspace for IFR departures to the south.

Interesting. Thanks for the additional details.

Not all active SUA is closed to IFR aircraft either. SUA that doesn’t contain aircraft operations can allow IFR or VFR aircraft to enter with an LOA between ATC and using agencies.

Yeah. A lot of SUA is subdivided so to speak. We don’t see the pieces on our charts but ATC and the using agency do on theirs. Also, sometimes the Using Agency has real-time direct communication with ATC. Sometimes directly to the Controller working the traffic where things can be coordinated immediately. Sometimes to a Supervisors desk where it can take a few seconds or minutes to get things done. And many times the Using Agency has Radar and the ATC Controller and the ‘Range’ Controller can get things done very well without unnecessary waste of airspace and time.

Back