After all that, it wasn't so bad! (bring on the champagne)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Anticipating is much more stressful than actually doing it!

Yep, I am now part of the club. I SOLOED!!

If anyone has been following this story, I picked up again with training in late August and vowed to fly 3X a weekend (weather permitting) as my student privs are set to expire Oct 31.

Well, September was full of flying and I was squeaking 'em in left and right. My last flight was September 30 and as usual stuff came up and I couldn't go up. So it's been three weeks (yet again - story of my life. at least it wasn't months like it usually is.)

The only free time we had this weekend was this morning - both CFIs were unavailable otherwise. A gorgeous weekend and only able to fly once. sigh.

Then the school upped the ante - I had to have the plane back early because they needed it to scatter ashes (I am not sure if anyone here knows Drew Kassel? He was in the FAA. Poor guy died this week...)

So we went up and my CFI said, well, not sure if you can do it this morning b/c not only do we have to get the plane back but we also have to fill out your paperwork. Darn it! I had pretty well psyched myself that this morning was IT.

We went up anyway and this morning, my landings SUCKED. bigtime. I was so frustrated - the first time I forgot to put the flaps in until I was getting ready to turn FINAL and I was so ****ed at myself for getting out of the flow that I flubbed the landing - it was useable, but not like the other ones (I'm telling ya, I was consistently getting like 10 in a row - superb - the last lessons...). and I was just off this morning. My CFI said I was being too hard on myself, but I was still ticked off. After six I said, ok, this isn't getting better, what the hell is my problem, let's go in and give them the plane. and so we did the paperwork and I watched the flyby. They scattered the ashes from "my" plane and right after they were clear of the pattern, a bizjet roared by on takeoff. Almost like his own little flyby...

and I figured that was it until next wkd. He had other students, my other CFI was out of town, etc. sigh. We agreed to call later in the day to see if anything had changed.

His last student just didn't show up at all and he called and said "come on by".

So we went back up and he said "when you are ready, I'll get out". We did four in a row, nice gentle landings (one was a little crunch but pretty good overall) and he said, "well, how do you feel, if you are ready I'll get out". and I thought Holy **** this is it. I said, well, it's now or never. (the weather was simply perfect... a nice evening.)

so he told me to take him up near the terminal and he'd be on the radio.

I let him out and the scene from the Natl Lampoon movie flashed briefly through my head - the one where Chevy Chase is about to skinny dip and he starts swinging his arms and chanting "this is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy"... and then he jumps in.

off I went! I puttered past the guys at the end, doing their runup - they looked and we all waved at each other (they had no idea what I was about to do)... and I made my call, and launched.

and ya know, you all were right - it does fly better when you're alone! the initial nervousness I after the 4th landing (after number three, I told him, ok, if the next one is good you're outta here...) was gone. I just up and did it.

during the first takeoff I noted not one but TWO people trying to enter the 45. one was on it, the other one was circling to make better separation and then enter the 45. (great, it's NEVER this busy...) so I was literally at TPA before I turned crosswind - and stayed there... I extended it far enough to avoid everyone. and the landing was a nice gentle one (after this morning and all the cursing, that felt good). I got a few "great jobs" on the radio... (pat pat).

Then, number two! (no, not what you are thinking!)

I just cleaned up the flaps, pushed in the carb heat and took right off again. (just like we always do). and this time, doo doo doo, around the pattern, then off in the distance I see something big coming in. "Falcon XYZ , extended base runway 35, Leesburg". (WTF? I always have the pattern to myself). I called downwind and he asked if I saw him. yup, sure did.

and he took his sweet old time coming in so I had to go WAYYYYYYYYYYYY out before turning base! I was still at TPA when I turned FINAL! so it was a long extended final. he hadn't even landed yet when I was on final. sigh.

my CFI said, if you want to go around, go ahead. I said, nah, I'm going to see if I can bring it in anyway. thank God for 40 degrees of flaps b/c I was really high - it was steep, but I brought it right in and squeak squeak. (that was my best one I think).

the last one was uneventful. I think I scared everyone off. I went through the pattern, a decent but not great landing and called over the radio, "well, it wasn't pretty but it's mine". My CFI said "you did great!!" and I brought 'er in.

and when I came in EVERYONE who was still there (Piedmont folks, folks at the school, etc." were congratulating me and everyone was all smiles.

and I've called all sortsa folks (family first of course) and now I'm telling you all.

Well done Elizabeth, check ride is just around the corner, and I'm sure you'll do fine there as well.

thanks! ya know, it was this big thing in my head looming... and after all that, I did ok. dang!

and now, ALL I have left to do - are the solo things. plus 2 hrs of hoodwork (completed 1...) boy was this a long time coming.

I am nothing if not persistent.

Way to go, Elizabeth! Right ON! Whooohoooo!! Congrats!

Congrats, Elizabeth! Fly safe and good luck on your checkride!

I'll be joining the club in 29 days (Wx permitting).

Jason

Leslie and I BOTH offer you our heartfelt congratulations! Next thing you know, you'll be writing about your checkride. Great writeup, BTW! Bravo Zulu!:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine:

Congratulations Elizabeth!!! Long time and lots of hard work now behind ya. Just a little more to go. Betcha can't beat Brook to the check ride tho.

HPNPilot1200 said:
Congrats, Elizabeth! Fly safe and good luck on your checkride!

I'll be joining the club in 29 days (Wx permitting).

Jason

cool! we can have a toast at the next flyin!!

NC Pilot said:
Congratulations Elizabeth!!! Long time and lots of hard work now behind ya. Just a little more to go. Betcha can't beat Brook to the check ride tho.

Mark....DON'T JiNX IT PLEASE!!!!!" :rofl:

Elizabeth...want to make a bet ;) .

gprellwitz said:
Leslie and I BOTH offer you our heartfelt congratulations! Next thing you know, you'll be writing about your checkride. Great writeup, BTW! Bravo Zulu!:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine:

thanks!!! I hope to see you guys before the next conference!

I MIGHT be going to a conference in Chicago soon.....

woodstock said:
thanks! ya know, it was this big thing in my head looming... and after all that, I did ok. dang!

and now, ALL I have left to do - are the solo things. plus 2 hrs of hoodwork (completed 1...) boy was this a long time coming.

I am nothing if not persistent.
Yeah! Ya done good! It's a big deal and congrats, Elizabeth :cheerswine:

NC Pilot said:

thanks Mark! hey, I'm at my own pace. when I finish, I do. I'm just a happy camper right now.

the weird thing is... it really wasn't all that bad. like, gosh, why didn't I do this sooner, I can do this. sheesh.

Outstanding! You'll be amazed at how quickly the rest goes... and you should still have some good weather to finish up in. Where are you going on your X/C's?

TMetzinger said:
Outstanding! You'll be amazed at how quickly the rest goes... and you should still have some good weather to finish up in. Where are you going on your X/C's?

dunno?

Way to go Liz, My checkride was exactly 30 days after my solo. You are almost there!!
After you get your ticket, you need to buy a mooney and get out to vegas to take me flying :)

Isn't it great!!! All by yourself for the first time - it's just about the most exciting and personally rewarding thing I've done in my life.

Congratulations, Elizabeth. Keep it up and before long we'll hear you're the latest PP-ASEL. :goofy:

tparsons said:
Isn't it great!!! All by yourself for the first time - it's just about the most exciting and personally rewarding thing I've done in my life.

Congratulations, Elizabeth. Keep it up and before long we'll hear you're the latest PP-ASEL. :goofy:
will do!

now, to fix dinner.. enough champagne. :D

Elizabeth, great job and great story. To infinity and beyond!

I can see it now: "How do you know E is a pilot? She'll tell you."

Back