After 2.5 years of training....(long read)

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Edit: 100 posts yaaaay!

(Preface: I apologize or any typographical errors or grammatical debaucheries. I am typing on the iPad and this is the rough and final draft. I just want to show people what my journey was like and maybe give insight to someone looking at fulfilling a dream.)

I am now finally realizing my dream of flying for a living.

I was working at a private hangar in Scottsdale cleaning the windows (of the building) and making coffee for a summer job. I was contracting for GE during the spring and had planned on taking the summer off. While working I would see 172s and warriors doing touch and gos and I started asking questions. I asked a pilot at the hangar about the best route to fly and he told me the standard get your ratings, instruct and then fly jets. From then on all I could think about was changing careers and flying. So at 29 years old I took a full time job at the hangar and stopped the consulting work I was doing. I took a discovery flight my wife bought me on 8-16-11

So in late September '11 I logged into Craigslist and found a freelance instructor who had access to a g1000 equipped 172sp and started training for the private pilot license. At 52 hours in January 2012 I was able to pass the PASEL practical test and I was now a pilot.

I joined a partnership in a Grumman AA-5 3 months later. I was able to build some time in the Grumman and started the instrument rating in September of 2012. By late October I was instrument rated and had ~180 hours.

I continued to fly with friends and build time when I could afford it. By this point I was starting to feel the financial effects of aviation. I was holding of on commercial until I could find the money to really focus on training. It was around February of '13 when I received a email about a scholarship opportunity and I sent in a application and was awarded $4,000 for training. By March of '13 I had finished CASEL rating and was rolling right along.

In July of '13 I decided to step away from my job at the hangar for a couple reasons and focus on the CFI certificate I needed so I can really start working in aviation. It was at this time I got hit with the reality of what avation had done to my wallet. I was forced to get out of my share of the AA-5 and my wife was the only one working. After a couple months I was awarded another scholarship ($2,000) so I could start training towards CFi. So I actually started at the flight school on 9-11-13 towards the CFI certificate. The website quoted $6k but I only had just over half of it. After 3 months and $6,400 dollars and a $1k checkride I had passed the CFI practical on the final day of the year 12-31-13

Last week I recieved 2 emails from pilots I do not know. One offered me time in a Citation Bravo right seat and I also filled out insurance paperwork for a right seat contract position in a Citation Ultra. Today I was offered a job at a local flight school to instruct. This has been my goal all along, stay at home and instruct and take the part91 corporate flights as they come. I get to stay at home most of the time and on occasion I get to be a "jet pilot" and see some cool destinations.

So after starting in August of 2011 and finishing in December of 2013 and accruing ~330 flight hours I can now look back to the day I saw the planes training at Scottsdale and smile. I had positioned myself in a good spot by working as line service/gofer at a well respected facility with great opportunities to meet people in the industry that were able to see me working hard for my employer and on flight training. I had a very difficult year in 2013 and I am ready to see where 2014 takes me (literally).

I guess the point of the post is to show that with determination, hard work and a little help you can fly planes for a job.

Cliffs:
Wanted to fly planes
Took 2.5 years and lots of money
Got ratings and CFI
Offered a CFI job and a position flying right seat in a Citation Ultra.
Hard work pays off.

Nice work. This career is all about networking and it sounds like you've played your cards right thus far. You should have no problem in your future endeavors.

Congrats!

Did I read correctly that you have yet to get your multi rating? It's well worth spending the $3500 so you can get an SIC type and log time in the bigger equipment rather than just riding along. Plus you will hopefully become more valuable as a copilot and be able to earn a better day rate.

Keep up the great work

You are indeed correct. I took the multi ride last summer passed the oral and made a silly mistake on the flight. I spent my last 500 bucks on that ride and was not able to retake the test since I quit my job. I have rescheduled the multi ride and the required training in the 2 preceeding calendar months. I will hopefully take the ride in just under a month.

Damn your checkrides are expensive there.

Sorry about the check ride.Good luck on the next attempt.

Respect.

Always enjoyable to read about people who have dreams and find a plan that gets them toward their dreams. Enjoy the journey.

Respect.

Always enjoyable to read about people who have dreams and find a plan that gets them toward their dreams. Enjoy the journey.

Thank you. It has been a very trying journey but I'm feeling the rewards of my efforts now.

Back