After 13 years...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...I'm surprised it all came back relatively quickly.

I set foot on a softball diamond yesterday for the first time since 1994. Well, that's the last time I know for sure that I played. And to make things even better, I got to play shortstop. Took about 3 innings to shake the rust off, but finished 2-3 with 4RBI batting in the number 9 spot. Good times.

I don't even want to think about the sore muscles and other aches and pains that would bedevil me the next day. But it would be fun...

As one who has, and continues, to play competative softball, time away is quickly recaptured. Good for you Ed!

Now, once I hit about 35 I realized the discomfort and healing time have increased exponentially...never mind the increase since I've crossed over 40!

Softball keeps me sane. I look forward to Thursday nights all week. And living here, we pretty much get to play year round.

As one who has, and continues, to play competative softball, time away is quickly recaptured. Good for you Ed!

Now, once I hit about 35 I realized the discomfort and healing time have increased exponentially...never mind the increase since I've crossed over 40!

Ah, 40. That was such a long time ago!

Heh, I returned to playing basketball earlier this year after being away from it since 1993. My 3-point shot is coming back, but I still have trouble with free throws.

...I'm surprised it all came back relatively quickly.

I set foot on a softball diamond yesterday for the first time since 1994. Well, that's the last time I know for sure that I played. And to make things even better, I got to play shortstop. Took about 3 innings to shake the rust off, but finished 2-3 with 4RBI batting in the number 9 spot. Good times.

Awesome! I'm a shortstop in a men's softball league myself. Dunno if I can go back to baseball. Softball's tough enough.

Right now, I'm 10-11 with 5RBIs and 2 doubles. What league are you in?

Wow, apparently I have a body of a 40+ year old. Used to be starting pitcher up until high school. Apparently letting an arm rest that was used to throwing that much was NOT a good idea. I can throw about 20 times, or 10 "real" pitches before my arm gives out :(

I played in a 4 day golf tournament last week and have to admit that I was really starting to feel it on the 4th day. Lower back pain, sore wrist muscles.....I never thought I would see the day that I would want to take a day off of playing golf. Softball would probably kill me.

Wow, apparently I have a body of a 40+ year old. Used to be starting pitcher up until high school. Apparently letting an arm rest that was used to throwing that much was NOT a good idea. I can throw about 20 times, or 10 "real" pitches before my arm gives out :(
I used to have a cannon for an arm, but I blew out my rotator cuff when I was in my late 20s and opted for exercise over surgery. Never did get back the ability to throw, so I ended my softball/baseball days. Fast forward 18 years. I was a coaching my kid's little league team and just for fun, I borrowed the league's Juggs gun one practice. All the kids got measured, with the fastest kids (7 and 8) throwing in the high 40s. Then one of them said, "Hey coach Ken, let's see how fast you can throw."

Ugh. Knowing how much it was going to hurt, coach Nick and I warmed up A LOT and I stepped in for 5 pitches. First one, low 50s and no pain. Each successive one I put a little more juice on it. The last one, pretty much as hard as this middle-aged out of shape body could do, hit 69. All strikes, too. And not so much as a twitch of pain.

My 9 year old son wants to be a pitcher, and since that practice I've been throwing with him. I can zip about 40 real pitches before I run out of steam.

I used to have a cannon for an arm, but I blew out my rotator cuff when I was in my late 20s and opted for exercise over surgery. Never did get back the ability to throw, so I ended my softball/baseball days. Fast forward 18 years. I was a coaching my kid's little league team and just for fun, I borrowed the league's Juggs gun one practice. All the kids got measured, with the fastest kids (7 and 8) throwing in the high 40s. Then one of them said, "Hey coach Ken, let's see how fast you can throw."

Ugh. Knowing how much it was going to hurt, coach Nick and I warmed up A LOT and I stepped in for 5 pitches. First one, low 50s and no pain. Each successive one I put a little more juice on it. The last one, pretty much as hard as this middle-aged out of shape body could do, hit 69. All strikes, too. And not so much as a twitch of pain.

My 9 year old son wants to be a pitcher, and since that practice I've been throwing with him. I can zip about 40 real pitches before I run out of steam.

Wish I could say the same. My fastball was in the upper 50's-low 60's when I was 12. All star team, all the good stuff. But no amount of warming up has let me get past about 20 pitches. And if I throw any heat, you can stick a fork in my right arm . . . it's done :(

Wish I could say the same. My fastball was in the upper 50's-low 60's when I was 12. All star team, all the good stuff. But no amount of warming up has let me get past about 20 pitches. And if I throw any heat, you can stick a fork in my right arm . . . it's done :(

Get the arm fixed and get back in the game. I've had both rotator cuffs fixed two times each and my right elbow reconstructed once. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to get the cob webs out but I'm good to go after that (until the next morning that is :))

Heh, was just going through old threads I started. Forgot about this. Somehow this year I've been roped into playing on 4 different teams - not including weekend tourneys.

Back