After 1.5 years and OVER $125k, I finally got my SI

Maybe we could even organize ourselves into some sort of association made up of owners and pilots of aircraft and use that for lobbying leverage.

Oh wait.......

yeah that association has done wonders.

Exactly. I think it was probably started with good intentions but has become something completely different.

Because when I fainted, I landed on my face and was admitted to the hospital. The med express asks if you were admitted to the hospital. Being honest with the hospital I told them exactly what happened, not expecting to have to produce the actual hospital records to the FAA. Once the FAA see hospitalization, injury, and alcohol in the same form, you are labeled an abuser since you were injured while consuming alcohol. It really is that simple. All the other tests requested by the FAA were to keep me from flying EVER again. No good could ever come by EVER letting an "alcohol abuser" fly ever again.

CFI friend has the EXACT same situation and dehydration issue after being out the night before. Mid day El Paso +100* meeting in the hangar and he passed out ... IDENTICAL situation to yours ... including thinking he needed to prove he isn't alcoholic ... ... went to ER, explained was out night before, minimal sleep, no water a couple of drinks ... this is horrible they do this ...

Man, I just chugged a 32oz water just reading this thread. Damn, sorry about your ordeal, Jim.

Can you stop monitoring and go Basic Med? Or does stopping cause a revocation of the class 3, making Basic unavailable?

BasicMed is available to me. But I would have to sacrifice my 3rd class with an UNCOMPLETED SI. I could keep my basicmed indefinitely. BUT, if I EVER wanted to go back to a class 1,2 or 3 OR NEED AN SI IN THE FUTURE, I would still have an unsatisfied SI on my file. I would then have to REPROVE my eligibility of the SI by starting over from square one.

Basicmed was not available to me because up until now, I didn't have ANY valid medical. Now that I fought for it and have it, I can sacrifice my efforts and go to basic.

Can you stop monitoring and go Basic Med? Or does stopping cause a revocation of the class 3, making Basic unavailable?

I worry about the thousands that have been released from monitoring and are doing fine on their own (like myself). Will the FAA try to come after me and put me back on a SI even after complying with everything?

BasicMed is available to me. But I would have to sacrifice my 3rd class with an UNCOMPLETED SI. I could keep my basicmed indefinitely. BUT, if I EVER wanted to go back to a class 1,2 or 3 OR NEED AN SI IN THE FUTURE, I would still have an unsatisfied SI on my file. I would then have to REPROVE my eligibility of the SI by starting over from square one.

1. 18k limitation, not that big of a deal, but 5%+ of my flying is over 18k.
2. While my health has been proven impeccable, ANY problem from now (53yo) and the rest of my flying that might need a SI in the future would negate all my expenses, time and efforts IF I want to fly with a Class 3 ever again with an SI. I really don't want to go through what I went through again.
3. I do fly to Mexico and Canada and BasicMed did limit Mexico, although not anymore, but Canada still isn't accepting basicmed. I can live with that.
I'm just SGOTI, but it seems to me that you are not meant to have a 3rd class medical. Yeah, you can throw a bunch more time and money at it, but looking at your list above, I don't see how you can justify it. BasicMed does almost everything you want, as astronomically less cost. It might be time to accept that your time and money up until now got you to the point where you can use BasicMed to fly. That's better than many people with health issues can say.

Not being able to fly above 18k isn't really making much difference to you.
Not being able to fly to Canada doesn't seem to be either, and eventually they will likely take BM.

CFI friend has the EXACT same situation and dehydration issue after being out the night before. Mid day El Paso +100* meeting in the hangar and he passed out ... IDENTICAL situation to yours ... including thinking he needed to prove he isn't alcoholic ... ... went to ER, explained was out night before, minimal sleep, no water a couple of drinks ... this is horrible they do this ...

Tell him good luck, and plan on 1+ years and a bankroll to resolve this.

I'm just SGOTI, but it seems to me that you are not meant to have a 3rd class medical. Yeah, you can throw a bunch more time and money at it, but looking at your list above, I don't see how you can justify it. BasicMed does almost everything you want, as astronomically less cost. It might be time to accept that your time and money up until now got you to the point where you can use BasicMed to fly. That's better than many people with health issues can say.

The single biggest issue for NOT going basic is that IF I EVER NEED AN SI in the future, I'm screwed. I have done all the work to get me here, all I need to do is keep them happy at this point.

The single biggest issue for NOT going basic is that IF I EVER NEED AN SI in the future, I'm screwed. I have done all the work to get me here, all I need to do is keep them happy at this point.
I think the part that you are missing is that no matter what you do "IF YOU EVER NEED AN SI in the future" you are screwed.

Can anyone answer this... Are pilots who are on a dependency SI on it for life?

Were you actually admitted to the hospital— as in transferred to a room with an inpatient status? A friend of mine had a similar dehydration incident that resulted in an ER visit, but he was never admitted, just treated and released. He’s not a pilot, but I would assume from a medical application perspective that would count under the health professional visits in the last three years section, but not the have you ever been admitted to the hospital section.

If the FAA ever receives anything unfavorable, or if they ever change their criteria, or if any new health issue pops up, or if...... you're screwed on a Class 3. Every time you renew that Class 3 you're rolling the dice.

Basic Med will take you off their radar, and there are only 3 possible pop-ups (see above) that could require a new SI. Furthermore, you eliminate the risk of a denial which would take Sport Pilot off the table.

It's your call, obviously, but it seems to me that Basic would carry much less risk for you, and also save you a bunch of money.

Were you actually admitted to the hospital— as in transferred to a room with an inpatient status? A friend of mine had a similar dehydration incident that resulted in an ER visit, but he was never admitted, just treated and released. He’s not a pilot, but I would assume from a medical application perspective that would count under the health professional visits in the last three years section, but not the have you ever been admitted to the hospital section.

8500 - 18b says "Have you EVER in your LIFE fainted". Or 18c "HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN UNCONSCIENCE FOR ANY REASON" Then that opens pandoras box for an explanation and subsequent hospital records. I spent 12 hours in the ER.

Then there is section 19. Which requires you to list ALL your visits to medical professionals in the past 3 years. Cant hide this stuff and hope to get away with omitting anything.

It's too bad that the FAA can't tell the difference between dehydration and alcoholism.

Once I go to the college I'm looking it, I'd hope to join their collegiate ALPA group and help guide other students in their medical issues and start a website that focuses specifically on medical certification via HIMS, SSRI usage, Basic Med, etc. by tracking the progress of someone's steps towards certification by keeping notes on their profile (private to the person and me) with what they communicate with me or what they put down themselves. I could then pull their profile up by searching for their name or just search for a diagnosis that prevents medical issuance, and see all the notes on previous people's profiles relating to that certain diagnosis to help aide future people with the same diagnosis. Also a forum part where people on the forums could chat message each other with their experiences and help guide others and I could jumpstart the website at college. IDK I also want an excuse to build another web-application and setup another forum site because I've been bored lately.

Then there is section 19. Which requires you to list ALL your visits to medical professionals in the past 3 years. Cant hide this stuff and hope to get away with omitting anything.

Another nice thing about Basic Med. The form still asks for every visit going back 3 years, but you only have to fill it out every 4 years. So every time you renew, there's a year skip. If you're worried about reporting some visit to a physician, careful scheduling might mean it never goes on the form.

Once I go to the college I'm looking it, I'd hope to join their collegiate ALPA group and help guide other students in their medical issues and start a website that focuses specifically on medical certification via HIMS, SSRI usage, Basic Med, etc. by tracking the progress of someone's steps towards certification by keeping notes on their profile (private to the person and me) with what they communicate with me or what they put down themselves. I could then pull their profile up by searching for their name or just search for a diagnosis that prevents medical issuance, and see all the notes on previous people's profiles relating to that certain diagnosis to help aide future people with the same diagnosis. Also a forum part where people on the forums could chat message each other with their experiences and help guide others and I could jumpstart the website at college. IDK I also want an excuse to build another web-application and setup another forum site because I've been bored lately.

In another thread setting up a HIMS support group was being discussed. Perhaps team up with them?

Another nice thing about Basic Med. The form still asks for every visit going back 3 years, but you only have to fill it out every 4 years. So every time you renew, there's a year skip. If you're worried about reporting some visit to a physician, careful scheduling might mean it never goes on the form.
You may not have to report the office visit, but if the condition is one of the items on question #18, the question is "have you ever..." so there really is no sidestepping the condition if there was a diagnosis.

You may not have to report the office visit, but if the condition is one of the items on question #18, the question is "have you ever..." so there really is no sidestepping the condition if there was a diagnosis.

True. For the specific items on the list.

I think the part that you are missing is that no matter what you do "IF YOU EVER NEED AN SI in the future" you are screwed.

Wow. It turns out that not only are you an authority on aircraft maintenance, you're also qualified to comment on medical issues, doing both with little if any relevant experience.

I'm quite certain the OP is well aware of the future pitfalls, and made hard decisions to get to where he is. Saying operations above FL180 aren't a big deal and that a sport pilot license is an adequate consolation prize ignore the fact the man apparently owns a high performance aircraft, and he has obviously considered the need to fully utilize its capabilities.

Last edited:
Wow. It turns out that not only are you an authority on aircraft maintenance, you're also qualified to comment on medical issues, doing both with little if any relevant experience.

I'm quite certain the OP is well aware of the future pitfalls, and made hard decisions to get to where he is. Saying operations above FL180 aren't a big deal and that a sport pilot license is an adequate consolation prize ignore the fact the man apparently owns a high performance aircraft, and he has obviously considered the need to fully utilize its capabilities.
Wow indeed. He himself said he flies above 18K only 5% of his flying, not me. In addition, I never mentioned sport pilot in any way, so you’re 100% wrong there.

Obviously your problem is personal and has nothing to do with the content of my post, since you utterly failed to understand my point. My point is that an SI worthy issue is going to be very bad news for him no matter which way he goes. Hmmm sounds like I already said that.

And fortunately, that form doesn't go to the FAA on Basic Med, just into your logbook. And it doesn't have to be retained after the next renewal.

True. For the specific items on the list.
18x asks about "other illness..." That's about as non-specific as you can get.

Fortunately the form doesn’t go to the FAA with Basic Med.
It does if they ask for it. And if it's revealed that you intentionally omitted medical history to the state licensed physician reviewing your medical history, it's considered falsification and grounds for revoking your pilot certificate. Don't try to cover up or play games with doctor's visits in hopes of hiding anything.

Beginning Feb 2020, yes. Dependency is like CAD, a lifelong disease.

...and Brad, Basic pilots do that all the time. I know of both an abuse situation, and one in which the PCP signed despite the pilot being a never SI’d SSRi needing guy. It’s just “ how it goes...

LATE ADD to CLARIFY: IF YOUR SI says, Alcohol ABUSE, (not dependency), lifetime monitoring is NOT ON THE TABLE.

Last edited:
8500 - 18b says "Have you EVER in your LIFE fainted". Or 18c "HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN UNCONSCIENCE FOR ANY REASON" Then that opens pandoras box for an explanation and subsequent hospital records. I spent 12 hours in the ER.

With FAA overreach like this its no wonder some people 'edit' their reporting a bit.

I understood the reason why some are tempted to fudge their 8500. Now I REALLY understand why some have that temptation. I went straight and narrow, full disclosure, and can rest knowing I have nothing to hide. I was fully expecting the FAA to require an elective proctology exam as part of their demands.

Except the proctologist’s exam is much easier and less painful than the faa

It's too bad that the FAA can't tell the difference between dehydration and alcoholism.

A lot of imaging centers can't tell the difference between non-obstructive intra-renal calculi and post inflammatory fibrotic changes from previous high urinary tract infection. Have seen several pilots get screwed on this, luckily all it takes is a non-contrast CT scan to clear them ... ultrasound with a low experienced recent graduate sonographer can cause some big problems ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back