AFSP and Changing Instructors

Ateaist

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ateaist
After having spent a couple of hours on hold with the TSA/AFSP earlier today, I decided to see if I can find the answer in the collective wisdom of this forum rather than enduring yet another day of deadful elevator music transmitted through the iPhone...

My Part 61 instructor has to take time off for personal reasons, and I have to find a new instructor on the eve of starting checkride prep...I did the AFSP process listing my current instructor as the provider of flight training -- do I have to redo that process for a new instructor, or is there a way to just amend the application to reflect that a different instructor will be finishing off the training?

If the instructor is the registered provider, you have to do a new one. Should be quick and simple, since the fingerprints are good for subsequent training. The $130 or so will hurt a little though.

If the provider was a school the guy was working on and you get another instructor from that school, you are good to go, but it doesn't seem to be your case.

There is no such thing as an amendment, but since most of the stuff is already pre loaded in the system and all that, you can think of it as one.

If you get through on the phone and they tell you otherwise let us know, but I'm pretty sure it's like this.

Considering it's around a 100 bucks and less than a week, I think I would just suck it up :mad:

Thanks guys - will let you know. The new instructor is with a different school, so I think I'll have to do this as "subsequent training."

You need a new training event in AFSP, but it will be accepted in a few hours normally. Your fingerprints are good for the new training as well. I did this back in August.

Make sure you close out the 'training event' with the current instructor, they get really twitchy if there is a training event that was not closed.

But yeah, who doesn't love to send another $130 to the TSA :) .

Make sure you close out the 'training event' with the current instructor, they get really twitchy if there is a training event that was not closed.

But yeah, who doesn't love to send another $130 to the TSA :) .

Always makes you feel good when you know its Money Well Spent!

Indeed, I had to do a new training event and pay the fee again. Hopefully they'll process it ASAP. It's time to get that ticket...

Thanks all for your responses!

Indeed, I had to do a new training event and pay the fee again. Hopefully they'll process it ASAP. It's time to get that ticket...

Thanks all for your responses!

Took 3-4 hours to process mine for the second time.

Yep, once the cheque clears, you're good to go...no waiting for prints.

Weilke's point is very important. You must close out the previous training request....even if a second training request is approved you will get pulled up at the immigration desk on your next entry to the US and hauled off for a 3-4 hour "chat"

Weilke's point is very important. You must close out the previous training request....even if a second training request is approved you will get pulled up at the immigration desk on your next entry to the US and hauled off for a 3-4 hour "chat"

I had a request that just expired a couple years ago, and have been in and out several times with precisely zero issues.

Had you started training with the training organization for which the request expired? If not that may explain it. However if training has commenced but not been completed it raises a flag...ie why would someone start training but not finish the course (implied answer is that they have obtained enough training for the job at hand!) paranoid I know, but that's just why the whole process exists

I had a request open that I didn"t use. Got a stern phonecall.

I started my Instrument, then life got in the way and I was unable to complete...just let it expire and moved on...

I've not heard anything about it. Maybe when I apply to finish it might pop back up, but at the rate it's going, I might not need it by then.

Back