Afib Diagnosis. Can I go Basic Med?

422Phil

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
422Phil
I’ve reviewed the requirements and I think I’m good, but would like some input from the pros in this arena.

I’m 47 when I receive my 1st 3rd Classs Med Cert. 18 months later I receive Afib Diagnosis. I’m under the care of a cardiologist and PCP and it’s completely under control. If it wasn’t, I would never risk it and go flying.
When I apply to renew the 3rd Class,I get deferred. After a bunch of expensive testing that my cardiologist says was unnecessary, I’m approved for the 3rd Class with a Special Issuance. Along the way, I’ve had a sit down with the cardiologist and my PCP, both of whom gave me their thumbs up to continue flying. Here’s the rub. The SI requires that I redo much of the expensive testing annually, and my cardiologist doesn’t even want to re-order it. Based on these circumstances, am I now eligible to move over to BasicMed before the SI expires?

The biggest thing is....if you are on any meds, check the "Can't Fly" medication list. It's long. I believe AOPA has that list readily available. It changes often. Actually, here's the link for you: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/medications-database I had AFIB as well. They had me on Eliquis (which was not a problem) and Dofitilide. Which was on the list. Despite not causing any issues and I'm cleared to drive my car and motorcycles. My AFIB is now under control, and has been for 5 years. But, I just had a double lung transplant in June of 2021. Out of the 24 meds that I take most twice a day and will be for the rest of my life, a few have been on that list. My meds keep changing as I recover so I am now flying with a Light Sport license. It suits me fine in my E-LSA. Let's face it the FAA has too much time on their hands. Making stupid rules is in their DNA.
The good news? I'm alive, breathing great and am flying again!!

Last edited:
I’ve reviewed the requirements and I think I’m good, but would like some input from the pros in this arena.

I’m 47 when I receive my 1st 3rd Classs Med Cert. 18 months later I receive Afib Diagnosis. I’m under the care of a cardiologist and PCP and it’s completely under control. If it wasn’t, I would never risk it and go flying.
When I apply to renew the 3rd Class,I get deferred. After a bunch of expensive testing that my cardiologist says was unnecessary, I’m approved for the 3rd Class with a Special Issuance. Along the way, I’ve had a sit down with the cardiologist and my PCP, both of whom gave me their thumbs up to continue flying. Here’s the rub. The SI requires that I redo much of the expensive testing annually, and my cardiologist doesn’t even want to re-order it. Based on these circumstances, am I now eligible to move over to BasicMed before the SI expires?
The cardiac issues that require a Special Issuance medical before going basic med are Myocardial infarction; Coronary heart disease that has required treatment; Cardiac valve replacement; and
Heart replacement. Not one of those, no problem.

You can get Basic Med now and let your 3rd class expire. If there are any requirements from the SI before expiration you’ll need to follow them so your 3rd doesn’t get revoked. Read your issuance carefully and speak with your AME if you’re unsure.

If you haven't been diagnosed with either a past heart attack or a heart disease (both of which can cause afib), then you qualify for BM.

Otherwise, afib is a symptom. What is the cause? Two causes can be past heart attacks or heart disease and both of those are certainly disqualifying. Or it can be something less serious such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or a host of other things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back