Afghanistan: Converting from Islam to Christianity a capital crime? [NA][Religion]

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Better think twice before you change churches - well - at least - if you change faiths from Islaam to something else. Especially Christianity.

Man on trial for converting from Islam

Excerpt said:
KABUL, Afghanistan - Senior Muslim clerics said Thursday that an Afghan man on trial for converting from Islam to Christianity should be killed regardless of whether a court decides to free him.

Abdul Rahman, a 41-year-old former medical aid worker, faces the death penalty for becoming a Christian under Afghanistan's Islamic laws.

Well, isn't it nice to see that Islam is a religion of love and tolerance?

I can't think of any other modern faith which would consider execution as a justifiable response for someone who chooses to leave its faith. I don't even think that in some of its worst history, the Christian Church has ever been THAT bad.

I'm just absolutely floored by this. I mean, human nature rarely surprises me - but the idea that a modern day organized religion would call for someones death simply because they don't want to follow that faith anymore?

How did we end up letting these people get control of Afghanistan AGAIN after we took out the Taliban? No, don't tell me, it wil only depress me.

Religion of peace.

Yeah, right.

Re: Afghanistan: Converting from Islam to Christianity a capital crime? [NA][Religion

Greebo said:
How did we end up letting these people get control of Afghanistan AGAIN after we took out the Taliban? No, don't tell me, it wil only depress me.

Agreed.

Greebo said:

I can't think of any other modern faith which would consider execution as a justifiable response for someone who chooses to leave its faith. I don't even think that in some of its worst history, the Christian Church has ever been THAT bad.

Hey Scott! Here's your que....:yes:

Yes, the Inquisition was just as bad, a hunt for Catholics who converted to protestantism or for Jews with money or power to confiscate. The Spainish Catholic Church was the primary inquisitor but most Catholic nations took advantage of the opportunity for a few bucks and some land confiscation. Less deady than most pogroms, it was particularly gruesome because of the torture.

Christians must never forget the Inquisition. It is where legalism in the faith will inevitably lead. Paul (a most misquoted and misunderstood Apostle) in particular warned against legalism.

Greebo said:
I'm just absolutely floored by this. I mean, human nature rarely surprises me - but the idea that a modern day organized religion would call for someones death simply because they don't want to follow that faith anymore?

You shouldn't be surprised. Us nasty, mean, narrow-minded, 'ol right wing neocons have been warning you for years. It got us called "intolerant".

Greebo said:
Religion of peace.

Yeah, right.

I can only hope more people see the truth of this. I think the France "youth riots" and the editorial cartoon flap helped a lot for folks to see who we were dealing with.

Last edited:
Pretty typical of all Islamic nations. Some of the more "modern" ones are not so hardcore, but all who claim to follow the faith are.

This is what I struggle with - in America, we are proud of the Judeo-Christian heritage we base our constitution on, yet we get up in arms about another country which bases it's constitution on their religion of choice. I struggle with this because on the one hand, no society can claim it is Free without the fundemental freedoms of speech, religion, and organization. However, saying to one society (which determines of its own free will - they did democratically ratify their constitution, right?) that their legal constructs are wrong just smacks of hipocracy.

If you ask me, however, this is as wrong as it gets.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Greebo said:
Better think twice before you change churches - well - at least - if you change faiths from Islaam to something else. Especially Christianity.

Religion of peace.

Yeah, right.

The tolerant religion of peace and love wants to execute this man for accepting Jesus Christ as his personal savior?

Wait. I thought Islam revered Jesus?

Who's looking forward to the day Shar'ia law is implemented in the Islamic States of America?

astanley said:
This is what I struggle with - in America, we are proud of the Judeo-Christian heritage we base our constitution on, yet we get up in arms about another country which bases it's constitution on their religion of choice. I struggle with this because on the one hand, no society can claim it is Free without the fundemental freedoms of speech, religion, and organization. However, saying to one society (which determines of its own free will - they did democratically ratify their constitution, right?) that their legal constructs are wrong just smacks of hipocracy.

If you ask me, however, this is as wrong as it gets.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Assume for a moment your premise that we are hypocrites because we have a Judao-Christian constitution and they don't. I agree that they freely chose their constitution and "tough nuggies" for us. However, not all choices are equal, the democratic election of a "bad" choice does not make it a "right" one. I believe we must respect their choice, but I also believe it is a poor one for which they will pay (again) in the future.

With a broad brush I say Greco-Romans gave us tolerance for other faiths, Judaism gave us the Rule of Law, Christianity gave us mercy.

Judaism was very much a theocracy, Kings not withstanding. However, Jewish theocracy was never hegemonious. She expanded to where God said she should go and that's about it. Jews believed in keeping apart from gentiles but they were NEVER about world conquest or the forced the subjugation of the world to Juadaism. Islam, by nature IS about bring the world to Islam. In fact the word 'Islam' means "submission [to God]".

Jesus can almost be said to have promoted secular government. Before you squawk about Catholics and Anglicans think about the root of that concept, "Give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is God's" is a biblical assertion of the importance of peaceful religious co-existance with a civilian government. Islam pretends to accept civil government, so long as that government subjects itself to Sharia Law. Yeah, ...tolerance.
Therefore, Judao-Christian governments are (at least in principle) about the fair and just application of Law, mercy towards our enemies and tolerance of the faiths of others.

Islam is a direct outgrowth of the paranoid megalomania of Mohammed. In principle, and in fact, the result is the rule of theocratic law (Sharia) and the subjugation (Islam) of all infidels to the Glory of Allah. Therefor, their democratic "choice" will only continue to bring them into conflict with non-muslim nations. They chose "wrongly" to force faith and religious law onto their citizens and eventualy, their non-muslim neighbors.

Last edited:
Greebo said:

Religion of peace.

Yeah, right.

I agree. :(

Back