Affordable Single Seater

Art Master

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Art Master
Anyone know of a company that makes affordable single seat plane, just for local recreation?

The Midget Mustang, Sonerai, Mong, Corben Ace, Cassutt and Preceptor Pup are frequently for sale under $25000. Why do you want a single seat plane?

I think Jesse really likes his yelllow thing..but I forgot what its called and its looks neat...;)

Thx for the response! I'll be looking into it. Apparently there is a guy near here that builds a scaled down version of the Mustang.

Take a look at Kitplanes buyers guide. I think they have it free on their website since it is no longer printed in the magazine, but may be wrong. Lots to see there. I think Rans makes a real nice little one seater that is very economical for local puddle jumping....

Anyone know of a company that makes affordable single seat plane, just for local recreation?

I can't tell you how it flies yet but I'm building a Onex presently.
Single seat,folding wings, 155 mph., 3.5-4.0 gph.
Buy kit for as little as $25,500 but upgrade some things and it will be a little over $30k ,but all brand new,big plus.

I can't tell you how it flies yet but I'm building a Onex presently.
Single seat,folding wings, 155 mph., 3.5-4.0 gph.
Buy kit for as little as $25,500 but upgrade some things and it will be a little over $30k ,but all brand new,big plus.

Plus engine, or does that include the engine?

Yes, the engines are not that expensive unless you opt for a Viking.

A Viking is a bad option IMHO. The supplier has taken home builders for thousands in the past, and left hundreds of buyers with virtually no support, no spare parts. Enggenfelner does not have the best reputation around. His engine packages are a gamble at best.

Go with a Rotax, Jabaru, or VW conversion.

Last edited:
F.Y.I. There's a Onex, close to completion with powerplant and controls installed, on Barnstormers for $29k. That's about the projected cost of a finished brand new airplane with 90% of the labor done. Amazing deal and it probably won't last.

http://barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

Great deal! The Aerovee engine seems pretty impressive....newer engineering plus reasonably priced components.

My only question, should more of it been primed before assembly or is the the clad aluminum sufficient?

Great deal! The Aerovee engine seems pretty impressive....newer engineering plus reasonably priced components.

My only question, should more of it been primed before assembly or is the the clad aluminum sufficient?

If the Onex is like the rest of the Sonex line, then it's made of 6061-T6 - much more corrosion-resistant than the traditional 2024-T3 Alclad. Sonex has not (AFAIK) added corrosion protection to their factory planes, and many builders have followed suit (light and simple). (Memory is sketchy - I sold my project years ago.)

For 10k I bought a Flybaby capable of cruising at 95 mph while sipping 3.9 gallons per hour. Enclosed cockpit with heat, lights for night flight, and as much range as you can stand. 250 hours SMOH.

I don't owe a penny on it which is what made it the perfect airplane for me.

Flybaby is a great value.

Plus engine, or does that include the engine?

That does include engine ,basic gauges, interior.
I spent more to have the three spars built and machined angle parts package.

Last edited:
Art, do you want a real airplane, or an ultralight would do?

If I were including ultralights, I would look at a used Kolb, Hawk, Challenger, or a new Belite. If lacking a fuselage is not a problem, Aerolite 103 (although the company was sold last year and is being re-established in Florida). Kolbs, Hawks, and Challengers are often EX-ABs that do not qualify for Part 103, but that may have advantages, like a 4-stroke engine.

Sonexes are the best, but I can't fit into one without a significant customization. I would totally get one if I could.

Neighbor just bought a M-18 Dromader, I'm going to ferry it home for him next week. Seems like it will be a fun single seater.

GREAT first airplane......................not. Brings new meaning to Load shift.

For 10k I bought a Flybaby capable of cruising at 95 mph while sipping 3.9 gallons per hour. Enclosed cockpit with heat, lights for night flight, and as much range as you can stand. 250 hours SMOH.

I don't owe a penny on it which is what made it the perfect airplane for me.

Flybaby is a great value.

I'd imagine especially since I don't see many listed for sale.

I'd imagine especially since I don't see many listed for sale.

Just not many left. Anything breaks on a $10k airplane and people tend to just let them rot.

Back