Affordable Clubs on Long Island NY

joeparrilla

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeP
Hey everyone!

So I officially have my PPL as of 3 days ago, and I want to start looking into some affordable flying options. I will likely be renting from my school for a while, but I think pure rental may get a bit expensive.

Does anyone have advice for affordable clubs on Long Island that have a membership fee but not hourly airplane rates? Ive heard of clubs that have membership dues, but you just pay for fuel in the airplanes that you use. I think something like this makes much more sense... if its out there.

My training was an KISP, so it would be nice to stay there... but I am not against going to another field.

Hey everyone!

So I officially have my PPL as of 3 days ago, and I want to start looking into some affordable flying options. I will likely be renting from my school for a while, but I think pure rental may get a bit expensive.

Does anyone have advice for affordable clubs on Long Island that have a membership fee but not hourly airplane rates? Ive heard of clubs that have membership dues, but you just pay for fuel in the airplanes that you use. I think something like this makes much more sense... if its out there.

My training was an KISP, so it would be nice to stay there... but I am not against going to another field.

Most clubs, and mine, charge an hourly rate... Unless they assess the members for every repair including overhauls the houly rate goes toward an engine reserve and unforeseen repairs... the dues serve only for fixed costs, hanger etc...

Most clubs, and mine, charge an hourly rate... Unless they assess the members for every repair including overhauls the houly rate goes toward an engine reserve and unforeseen repairs... the dues serve only for fixed costs, hanger etc...
Ah so does the membership fee make the hourly rate lower at all, or are you still paying similar rates as rentals in the area?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My club is much lower... average rental here is $125 dry on hobbs// my club is 105 wet on tach time... very reasonable.. '81 IFR Skyhawk.. and $75/mo dues

Long Island is slim pickings when it comes to clubs. Most so called clubs are schools advertising as clubs. Kfrg has a lot of options in the schools. I am biased but Long Island aviators has some of the best kept airplanes around. Rates a reasonable also

If you can't find a suitable club, start your own.

I flew with Long Island Soaring Association, and got my private in their prior 172 (typically tied down outdoors, they found hangar space during Sandy -- the hangar collapsed in the storm, totaling the plane.) They replaced that aircraft model with a very IFR capable 172P-180 that rents for $115/tach hour wet, with very low monthly dues.

Try their website; you'll want to get in touch with Peter Flanagan. Summer meetings are at the club's trailer clubhouse on Brookhaven airport. Winter meetings are in the terminal building at Republic. Next meeting is Dec 16th at 8:00 PM, you can always drop in. Attending two meetings is a condition of membership, so why not get one out of the way.

If you can't find a suitable club, start your own.

Well if I had the money to buy a plane to start a club.. Id probably just buy a plane and fly it :) Not sure I can swing that right now unfortunately

Maybe you can find 3 or 4 partners... I think AOPA has a service that helps you locate partners

Ive actually seen that before, definitely something to consider. I was thinking about talking to people around the ramp where I fly and see if theres any interest. Theres a few students in my school who are getting close to checkride, so maybe some interest there as well.

Thanks!

Ive actually seen that before, definitely something to consider. I was thinking about talking to people around the ramp where I fly and see if theres any interest. Theres a few students in my school who are getting close to checkride, so maybe some interest there as well.

Thanks!

That's what I suggest. Good luck!

This is near to Long Island and it may be a possibility if you live in western Nassau County or in Queens... It has both a monthly fixed cost and a per-hour flown rate. Check it out!

www.wfc-hpn.org

-Skip

Last edited:
This is near to Long Island and it may be a possibility if you live in western Nassau County or in Queens... It has both a monthly fixed cost and a per-hour flown rate. Check it out!

www.wfc-hpn.org

-Skip

You know, thats actually very appealing. I really am interested in continuing flying low wings and those club planes seem pretty nice. Autopilots on all of them as well.

Great link, appreciate it.

Back